What to do about broken female charging plug on 2015 Leaf S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sonnylax

I have 2015 Leaf S with QC. I brought my car to a overnight (off airport) parking facility that offers EV charging while away on business.

When I got back late last night, my car wasn't fully charged and I only had ~ 35 miles of range left. This morning when I finally got some good light, I noticed two (out of the five) female ports on the normal receptacle (not the QC) was broken. So I can't plug in the normal male plug-in to charge my car. I have zero range currently, so I'm going to have to have it towed somewhere (dealer or QC charging station nearby.)

I can only assume the car rental facility broke these, but I had a full charge when I left my house on Monday to drive to the airport parking facility. And my home garage charge worked fine.

Would this fix be covered by my (April 2015) 2-year lease that I extended for 12 months earlier this year (April 2017)?

Of course my parking facility ticket says they are no liable for any damages, even after you drive away. :evil:

Any thoughts here?

The replacement part is likely 296B13NF1A, although I would double-check with a Nissan dealer. About $1000 new.

However, you might be able to buy just the socket itself and retrofit that:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/J1772-Connector-Pre-Wired-3-Ft-Cable-Electric-Vehicle-Charger/192388107420?hash=item2ccb398c9c:g:wCQAAOSwpIxZb2q9&vxp=mtr

You'd have to figure out the wiring though and it might not work...

Read this post too:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=24232

The OP managed to get a solution from @TonyWilliams for the same problem. Sounds like Tony retrofitted a pigtail, similar to the one I posted, to the LEAF...

Expensive plug, thanks Nissan.
Find a junk-yard

Darell's instructions for adding in a diode also show how to remove the EVSE socket. Just discharge the high voltage stuff first.

I highly doubt Nissan will cover it under warranty, but there's really only one way to find out :) I'd give your Nissan dealer a call and see what they say...

Back