Need a L2 charger recommendation

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dmbshn41

I’m looking to purchase a L2 charger for garage/home charging. I have an existing 240 service box in garage, with a spare unused 40A breaker. I’ll be installing the wiring from box to charger location.

Some items I’m looking for:

-L2 charging that maximizes my 6.6kw charge ability obviously
-WiFi control if possible. My car does not have Carwings or any that capability. Would like to schedule charging to happen in middle of night without having to set the timer on dash every day.

I’m looking at the JuiceBox on Amazon currently at $539~ and consider it to be the front runner.

Any help would be appreciated.

I see the Juicebox Pro 40 on eBay, somebody selling new for $470 shipped. That's a good deal, considering that the cheapest 6.6kw+ I know of is the GE Wattstation for $400 at HomeDepot.com (without WiFi). I'd prefer OpenEVSE, but at $560, you'd have to decide if the extra 19% cost is worth it.

specialgreen said:
I see the Juicebox Pro 40 on eBay, somebody selling new for $470 shipped. That's a good deal, considering that the cheapest 6.6kw+ I know of is the GE Wattstation for $400 at HomeDepot.com (without WiFi). I'd prefer OpenEVSE, but at $560, you'd have to decide if the extra 19% cost is worth it.

Another vote for JuiceBox Pro. That's the way to go!!

Found a refurbished 40 Pro w/ WiFi on eBay. Won the bid at $425 shipped...installing the 240 drop I my garage this weekend, hopefully charger is in next week. Thanks for the recommendations.

Since you only have a 40A breaker, I think you need to make sure to set the JuiceBox to never pull more than 32A (80% continuous draw). This won't be an issue with your LEAF as it will top out at 27A (IIRC). But if you later get a different EV and plug it in, you don't want it to try and pull 40A.

jlv said:
Since you only have a 40A breaker, I think you need to make sure to set the JuiceBox to never pull more than 32A (80% continuous draw). This won't be an issue with your LEAF as it will top out at 27A (IIRC). But if you later get a different EV and plug it in, you don't want it to try and pull 40A.

My sub panel box has a 40A unused breaker, and two 20A breakers that are used for lights and receptacles in my detached garage. I'm planning to remove one of the 20A as I only have 2 LED lights, garage door opener, and 4 receptacles in the garage. I think a 20A circuit is more than enough to run those items. I don't use power tools in the garage as most of what I have are battery powered, plus I have a separate shed where saw, etc are. I'll remove the 40A breaker and replace with a 50A dual pole to allow for future use or friends who may have a power need higher than my Leaf.

As far as wire size to go from breaker to Juicebox, what would be the recommendation? Was thinking 10/3 with the 14-50 plug, but haven't dug that deep yet.

Thanks~

dmbshn41 said:
As far as wire size to go from breaker to Juicebox, what would be the recommendation? Was thinking 10/3 with the 14-50 plug, but haven't dug that deep yet.
I think 10/3 is insufficient for even 40A. You might want to consider getting an electrician.

This says 8AWG for 40A and 6AWG for 50A:
https://emotorwerks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001516112-Wiring-Requirements-for-all-JuiceNet-Enabled-EV-Chargers

jlv said:
dmbshn41 said:
I think 10/3 is insufficient for even 40A. You might want to consider getting an electrician.

This says 8AWG for 40A and 6AWG for 50A:
https://emotorwerks.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001516112-Wiring-Requirements-for-all-JuiceNet-Enabled-EV-Chargers

More than comfortable and capable of doing this myself. Plus I'm able to do so at about 15% of the cost. I referenced 10/3 because of the link below:

https://emotorwerks.com/about/enewsso/blog/187-juicebox-manual

I'll swap out the 10/3 I bought for 8/3.

Personally when I do have a place to put one in, I plan on getting the 75 Amp version, it will be backwards compatible on cars that use less power when charging, but it will provide the most flexibility in the long term.

If you are using a 40A breaker the EVSE should be set to 32A (80% of 40A). Actually the car's charger sets the current assuming there is enough available. A Leaf with the enhanced charger will draw 27.5A A Volt would draw 14A. My car has a Tesla Drive train so it can charge at 40A. Most other cars will draw 30A or less. My eGolf charged at 30A from a 40A EVSE connected to a 50A breaker.

Went ahead and dropped a 50A breaker in with 6/3 cable. Was $25 more after I exchanged the 10/3. This will future proof my install for up to 40A with this charger.

I selected the Pro 40 due to its wireless capabilities with their app, but mainly due to ability to schedule charging. Had to have the Pro for this. It’s more than enough for my current vehicle and should satisfy the next vehicle that I buy for myself or the wife.

Back