Hello from ChargePoint!

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
TeamChargePoint said:
EVDRIVER said:
They make money selling the data they collect on charging use, their goal is not to fill gaps in infrastructure but to get data to sell to companies and other entities where it makes sense or supports the business model.

Hi! We work with businesses to install new stations every day.
Our goal at ChargePoint is to make EV charging work for businesses who have parking spots, and for EV drivers who need charging. Take a look at this video about why Adobe invested in ChargePoint chargers (http://bit.ly/2kU3isi)! I thought you might also enjoy a blog post about Oyster Development Corporation and why they put in ChargePoint chargers, too! (http://bit.ly/2zfiQcF)

OK, here is the issue that limits you: you only install in collaboration with a host entity. You don’t seek out strategic locations and install independently. Especially with higher powered QC which is what we’ll need going forward. Soon, every OEM’s offering will be 60 kWh and up and there’ll be demand that will translate into revenue without your current host model. So, ChargePoint, why not branch out? You have the equipment and knowledge base to make it work. If Tesla can put up multiple units per site, you can cozy up right next to them, or across the road, whatever. As it is, you’re ceding the Non-Tesla QC market to EVgo. Do you really want to be that far behind?

We are working hard to build out DC fast corridors across the U.S. Stay tuned for updates. :)

I gotta say. We have had more luck with chargepoint stations than any of the others. We have had a swipe card for a couple years and now that we are a two EV family we seem to use their facilities more than any others. Pretty reliable network. I wish them well. Now if we could just get them involved in the Village Green Mall in Vernon BC, I sent the mall guy a contact point but never heard back from them. Excellent locations.

webeleafowners said:
I gotta say. We have had more luck with chargepoint stations than any of the others. We have had a swipe card for a couple years and now that we are a two EV family we seem to use their facilities more than any others. Pretty reliable network. I wish them well. Now if we could just get them involved in the Village Green Mall in Vernon BC, I sent the mall guy a contact point but never heard back from them. Excellent locations.

Thanks so much! If you'd like to have our team try to get in touch with the folks at Village Green Mall, we'd be happy to try! Simply send the details over to our support team at [email protected] or give us a ring on our 24/7 driver support line at 1-888-758-4389!

ChargePoint is the only card I have and seems to be thee card in my market. My only beef is I have 2 Leafs but to get a second card I'd have to pay $5 :x Sure I suppose I could just sign up for a second account for my second Leaf but for now I just share the one card between the two and try and remember which Leaf might end up needing the card.....kind of stupid IMO that I'd have to pay for a second card, but whatever and no I'd rather not use my cell phone, I prefer the little RFID card.

TeamChargePoint said:
webeleafowners said:

Thanks so much! If you'd like to have our team try to get in touch with the folks at Village Green Mall, we'd be happy to try! Simply send the details over to our support team at [email protected] or give us a ring on our 24/7 driver support line at 1-888-758-4389!

Thanks guys. One of us will give you a call in the next few days. We are currently in Palm Springs area with our smart ED. The Village Green mall is in Vernon BC. I did have a short email interchange with them and they seemed quite interested.

John

Charging at home can be tricky if you live in a condo and have to get approval from your HOA to charge.

We've had hundreds of conversations with EV drivers to provide you with simple tips that will make it easy for your HOA to say “yes!” to your EV charging request.

You'll find our top 3 tips for negotiating with your HOA and a free eBook on condo charging, on the ChargePoint blog: http://bit.ly/ChargePointHOA

ChargePoint_HOA_yes.jpg

We're honored to have had the opportunity to partner with Associa to share and explore how getting around in gas cars affects emissions and local air quality.

We also offer information on how HOA board members can help make a difference by promoting alternative transit in their community.

You can find the full post here, on the Associa website: http://bit.ly/AssociaChargePoint

aHViPTY2NDY1JmNtZD1pdGVtZWRpdG9yaW1hZ2UmZmlsZW5hbWU9aXRlbWVkaXRvcmltYWdlXzU5ZmI4OTdmNjY4YTcuanBnJnZlcnNpb249MDAwMCZzaWc9YjFhYjljYTQ2MGVmYmQ5YTJkODRkOGNkZTA1ODk1NzU%253D

Is your HOA board enabling your community to reduce emissions and improve air quality?

We've received a few private requests to share discounts as they happen, so we're happy to share a new discount that's currently available, just in time for the holiday season.

Treat yourself to faster home charging with 15% off ChargePoint Home, until December 22nd: http://bit.ly/ChargePointHomeSale

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thank you for welcoming us here in the My Nissan Leaf community! :)

I have a Chargepoint card and use it for DCFC. What I find most lacking are regular, predictable charging points along major highways/freeways. Rather than enumerate specific roads, I’d suggest that ChargePoint approach the major truck stop chains:
- Pilot/Flying J
- TA / Petro
- Love’s/Country

You could drive across most of the US, and find one of these every 70 miles for most of your journey. There are over 750 Flying J stores alone. None of these truck stops are built “on the cheap”, and the owners are not afraid of investment. All are likely to have 480v 3ph power. All of them attempt to gain significant revenue from travellers lingering, eating in the restaurant and browsing in the store. A DCFC which keeps travelers in the store for a half hour per truck stop would be in keeping with their business model.

DCFCs placed at these locations could issue some kind of coupon, which is redeemable inside the store. This would help drive foot traffic, and would validate the business model to the truck stop chain. It would be practical to deploy first along highest-auto-volume freeways, near those metro areas with highest market penetration of electric vehicles; and then expand as the business model proves itself.

ChargePoint appears to be asking for recommendations of new locations, one at a time. I’d suggest that ChargePoint look instead for an expansion process which can begin with trial deployments, then gain financial validation, and finally run itself, for years of continuous growth.

specialgreen said:
I have a Chargepoint card and use it for DCFC. What I find most lacking are regular, predictable charging points along major highways/freeways. Rather than enumerate specific roads, I’d suggest that ChargePoint approach the major truck stop chains:
- Pilot/Flying J
- TA / Petro
- Love’s/Country

You could drive across most of the US, and find one of these every 70 miles for most of your journey. There are over 750 Flying J stores alone. None of these truck stops are built “on the cheap”, and the owners are not afraid of investment. All are likely to have 480v 3ph power. All of them attempt to gain significant revenue from travellers lingering, eating in the restaurant and browsing in the store. A DCFC which keeps travelers in the store for a half hour per truck stop would be in keeping with their business model.

DCFCs placed at these locations could issue some kind of coupon, which is redeemable inside the store. This would help drive foot traffic, and would validate the business model to the truck stop chain. It would be practical to deploy first along highest-auto-volume freeways, near those metro areas with highest market penetration of electric vehicles; and then expand as the business model proves itself.

ChargePoint appears to be asking for recommendations of new locations, one at a time. I’d suggest that ChargePoint look instead for an expansion process which can begin with trial deployments, then gain financial validation, and finally run itself, for years of continuous growth.

Agreed. And also, more than 1... It is pretty useless to have 1 DCQC somewhere. It may work, it may not. It may be ICEd. It may be occupied. You may be 5th in line to charge, etc. Look at Tesla and emulate.

Tesla still isn't profitable and has been able to build out its charging infrastructure because they have raised about $5B since their IPO. Pretty hard for any business to compete on that basis. More power to Tesla for the crazy stupid money they are capable of raising, but IMHO their hugely negative cash flow is unsustainable. There's no way Chargepoint is going to be able to match Tesla's charging network, not even close.

alozzy said:
Tesla still isn't profitable and has been able to build out its charging infrastructure because they have raised about $5B since their IPO. Pretty hard for any business to compete on that basis. More power to Tesla for the crazy stupid money they are capable of raising, but IMHO their hugely negative cash flow is unsustainable. There's no way Chargepoint is going to be able to match Tesla's charging network, not even close.

Tell that to Amazon... If you live for short term profit, you throw away the long game.

And if I could write a cheque to ChargePoint for $2K (supercharger cost built into Tesla cars) or even $10K that gives me unlimited charging throughout their network, I would if it meant they would be building an entire network. Nobody said for free and nobody said without profit.

Agreed, Alozzy. Don’t be Tesla. I was suggesting a continuous expansion program taking years. Choose initial markets carefully. There are 2,000 of these truck stops to choose from. Site doesn’t have electrified truck parking lot? Pass it. No unused space next to the 13kv transformer at the edge of the lot? Pass it. Not located outside LA/SFO/SEA/PLT? Pass it (...in year 1).

Second, unlike Tesla, ChargePoints cost money to use... $5-$10 per visit. A 5-year break-even might be met with one customer per day. There are 53 US metros over 1mm population, each with 3-6 freeways entering that metro. I suspect that within 2-3 years, the first truck stop on each freeway outside each of those metros could provide one DCFC customer per day, paying an average $7.50 to “fill up.” And once you’ve lit the first truck stop, you can start looking at the second (then the third...).

But even if that 1st truck stop is your only 5-year goal, that’s still one new DCFC per week to install. That’s not a pace which can be achieved by asking strangers on the Internet to fill-out a web form to express interest, then research the locations, then approach the owners...

I was mostly posting to point out that DCFC deployment to-date has been haphazard, with a lack of consistency in placement. EV owners look like they’re hunting Pokémon, following smartphone apps and driving miles off the freeway to find a DCFC at a coffee shop 3 towns over. But truck stops are spaced regularly, have a predictable layout, enjoy an excess of space, have a supporting business model, a single corporate owner able to enter agreements, and now have lots of amps strung out to the cabs in the parking lot (to meet idling restrictions).

specialgreen said:
- Pilot/Flying J
- TA / Petro
- Love’s/Country

1000x yes to this! Thank you for posting it. ChargePoint came asking for recommendations, and a partnership like this is a great one! Absolutely a win-win-win for ChargePoint, the truck stop, and EV drivers! I hope they take it seriously.

I still don't understand how the business model of chargepoint is to ask any regular JOE where they want a charging station.

I have all the charging I need in the areas I frequent, and in my house. I do not "need" to charge at the mall near me, however it would be convenient......

As many have previous stated, the future of charging is in covering highways, and eventually placing a charging station at each exit on highways. That would allow EV to travel across the country, and legitimatize the utility of the EV. It is such a simple business plan to expand the chargepoint network to long-distance drivers, where the need for charging stations is critical.

specialgreen said:
Rather than enumerate specific roads, I’d suggest that ChargePoint approach the major truck stop chains:
- Pilot/Flying J
- TA / Petro
- Love’s/Country

This. So much this. While EVgo is putting them in at seemingly every mall and Walmart, what we really need is a reliable network along the freeways. Truck Stops would be a perfect fit.

TeamChargePoint said:
We've received a few private requests to share discounts as they happen, so we're happy to share a new discount that's currently available, just in time for the holiday season.

Treat yourself to faster home charging with 15% off ChargePoint Home, until December 22nd: http://bit.ly/ChargePointHomeSale

Happy Thanksgiving everyone, and thank you for welcoming us here in the My Nissan Leaf community! :)

Don't miss out on deeper discounts! The ChargePoint Home is the only home EV charger the works with Nest and is ENERGY STAR certified. Now offering 20% off until 12/22! http://bit.ly/ChargePointHomeSale

5nkro0.jpg

Evoforce said:
Should many (and almost all) of the ChargePoint posts be moved to the seller area?

NO... At this point chargepoint is free most of the time, and is at a very nominal cost... I see them as a service rather than a business at this point.

Also, the previous posts about installing charging stations on highways at $5-10 per charge is ridiculous... I'll be damned if I pay that much for $1-2 of electricity.. That is like running my car on champagne... I would have nothing to do with it...

powersurge said:
Evoforce said:
Should many (and almost all) of the ChargePoint posts be moved to the seller area?

NO... At this point chargepoint is free most of the time, and is at a very nominal cost... I see them as a service rather than a business at this point.

Also, the previous posts about installing charging stations on highways at $5-10 per charge is ridiculous... I'll be damned if I pay that much for $1-2 of electricity.. That is like running my car on champagne... I would have nothing to do with it...

Practically everything ChargePoint is doing is selling in this thread. It should be moved to sellers area.

Um... I was just charged at $1 per 5 minutes at a ChargePoint. The property owners set the rate. You are just lucky the units around you are priced low by the property owners.

One thing that I do agree with you on is that I don't want to be gouged.

Back