Why the LEAF Gen 2 and not the 220 miles Tesla Model 3?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had a friend with a diesel Volkswagen camper van. When he referred to it as his "diesel pusher motor home", it really pissed off some of the people who had Class A bus-sized motorhomes.

I have deposit down for a Tesla 3, which I probably won't see until late 2018 or early 2019.
I was never interested in a Leaf because of the short range.
But if 2019 Leaf comes with 200 + mile range and cooler looking exterior design, I would have to seriously consider it.
The US federal incentive will probably be non-existent by 2019 on electric cars. For around $35000, I expect to have heated front seats at least. However, on a Tesla 3, you have to buy $5000 premium pkg to get heated seats. And I do not even want to pay extra $1000 for optional paint color so I am set on black color.
If 2019 Leaf looks similar to what Leaf looks now, I will not consider it. It is a major turn off for me.

tesleaf said:
I have deposit down for a Tesla 3, which I probably won't see until late 2018 or early 2019.
I was never interested in a Leaf because of the short range.
But if 2019 Leaf comes with 200 + mile range and cooler looking exterior design, I would have to seriously consider it.
The US federal incentive will probably be non-existent by 2019 on electric cars. For around $35000, I expect to have heated front seats at least. However, on a Tesla 3, you have to buy $5000 premium pkg to get heated seats. And I do not even want to pay extra $1000 for optional paint color so I am set on black color.
If 2019 Leaf looks similar to what Leaf looks now, I will not consider it. It is a major turn off for me.
Heated front seats are standard on the 3; the premium package adds heated rear seats, among many other things. [From the Monroney sticker list of standard equipment: "Heated seats for driver and front passenger."]

However, the Model 3 apparently doesn't have a heated steering wheel, even as an option (perhaps it will come next year). I would certainly expect the 200 mile LEAF, when it comes, to have that. I'd rather have a heated steering wheel than heated seats, although having both is better.

edatoakrun said:
hopefully, the base interior in the Tesla model 3 will be a little bit nicer than the redi-Go's...

This is interesting... TSLA do not even have a speedometer for $5k add-on. :lol:

borugee said:
edatoakrun said:
hopefully, the base interior in the Tesla model 3 will be a little bit nicer than the redi-Go's...

This is interesting... TSLA do not even have a speedometer for $5k add-on. :lol:

Standard equipment is not listed as an add on. :roll:

So I just had an interesting conversation with a Nissan sales rep (part of the 2018 leaf sales force), and she wasn't aware of a warranty against capacity degradation (only the 8y defect warranty) on the 2018 leaf. Also, there's no 80% charge limiter either, unless you have Nissan Connect (no different from current owners).

So (speculation!) worse case scenario is that 40kwh leaf owners will be SOL if their battery degrades rapidly due to heat/poor-battery-management. Was this already known?

Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
So I just had an interesting conversation with a Nissan sales rep (part of the 2018 leaf sales force), and she wasn't aware of a warranty against capacity degradation (only the 8y defect warranty) on the 2018 leaf. Also, there's no 80% charge limiter either, unless you have Nissan Connect (no different from current owners).

So (speculation!) worse case scenario is that 40kwh leaf owners will be SOL if their battery degrades rapidly due to heat/poor-battery-management. Was this already known?

Hard to say how accurate the info is though. Our Nissan rep learned most of what he knows about the Leaf from us. Nice person and all but completely unaware of any facets of the leaf. I think electric vehicle training is still pretty low on the sales floor at some dealerships.

LeftieBiker said:
Also, there's no 80% charge limiter either, unless you have Nissan Connect (no different from current owners).

The current version lets you limit charge to 80%?!

Not the 30kwh leaf S, no. I was referring to the 2013 leaf S. And the 2018 leaf S won't either. Probably a plow to get more people to upgrade?

LeftieBiker said:
No, it was likely a response to the EPA down-rating the range of the 2013 because Nissan called the 80% option "long life mode."

Then why not allow Nissan Connect as an add-on option for the leaf S as well? It's standard on the SV & SL trims.

LeftieBiker said:
The S has no telematics unit (modem).

"options" can be software and/or hardware components that can be added at the factory, like ChaDeMo ports and 6.6kw versus 3.3kw chargers. So why not make Nissan Connect an option?

If I may anticipate your next response and answer it? If the required modem (and cpu) is bundled with the NAV, then I guess I'm out of objections. Dropping the S trim, or dropping the SV trim and adding NAV as an option for the S is a corporate decision driven by product marketing. The end result being that it's up to the end customer to make the informed decision to go with the SV model instead of cheaping out with the base S model right? Too bad my nearby dealerships mostly stocked the S trim. :(

For those outside the US, the 60 kWh Leaf may start selling well before Tesla Model 3 does.

If the battery does come with LG Chem's TMS... yummy.

internalaudit said:
For those outside the US, the 60 kWh Leaf may start selling well before Tesla Model 3 does.
Also for those INSIDE the US who are NOT employees of Tesla, the 60-kWh LEAF may start selling well before Tesla Model 3 does. (Nissan sold over 4000 LEAFs the first month it was on sale in Japan. Tesla sold 30 Model 3s. I suppose they will figure out how to weld them eventually...)
internalaudit said:
Yeah, that seems to be what will be in the 60-kWh LEAF in about a year.

RegGuheert said:
internalaudit said:
Also for those INSIDE the US who are NOT employees of Tesla, the 60-kWh LEAF may start selling well before Tesla Model 3 does. ;) (Nissan sold over 4000 LEAFs the first month it was on sale in Japan. Tesla sold 30 Model 3s. I suppose they will figure out how to weld them eventually...)
internalaudit said:
Yeah, that seems to be what will be in the 60-kWh LEAF in about a year.

With Tesla not providing any updates to the Right to Repair (since it was brought up on various news media/articles earlier this year) or giving some assurance that post-warranty or post-ESA, that TM3 repairs won't cost an arm and a leg just like it does on the Model S and X, although I will not cancel my reservation, I am now very hesitant to spend/invest a boat load of money on something that may be a very deep money pit.

WIll see how the 2019 Honda Insight fares on MPG and what the various trim models are and will await more information on the 2019 Nissan Leaf as well. Though I do wish Toyota and Honda would start introducing 220 mile BEVs, it seems Nissan is the only one serious at the moment with Toyota not promising anything until 2020 in China and 2022 for solid state batteries BEVs.

internalaudit said:
With Tesla not providing any updates to the Right to Repair (since it was brought up on various news media/articles earlier this year) or giving some assurance that post-warranty or post-ESA, that TM3 repairs won't cost an arm and a leg just like it does on the Model S and X, although I will not cancel my reservation, I am now very hesitant to spend/invest a boat load of money on something that may be a very deep money pit.

WIll see how the 2019 Honda Insight fares on MPG and what the various trim models are and will await more information on the 2019 Nissan Leaf as well. Though I do wish Toyota and Honda would start introducing 220 mile BEVs, it seems Nissan is the only one serious at the moment with Toyota not promising anything until 2020 in China and 2022 for solid state batteries BEVs.

You are listening to the worst of the worst. Tesla has been excellent on doing service for me and countless others and maintains a high customer service rating. While I agree nothing is perfect, Tesla has pulled through for me with flying colors. Many things that they could charge for, they have repaired as goodwill. I do agree with you on the right to repair and Tesla needs to open this up to all.

I personally own two Leaf SL's and a Tesla S, and my son a Chevy Bolt LT that he traded his Leaf to get. I would personally not buy another Leaf until they improve their battery longevity. A thermal management system would probably help a lot but a 2018 Leaf does not have that. Will a 2019 Leaf have a better battery and TMS system? We will see... The Leaf is a great car in every other way, except battery longevity and rapid depreciation because of it.

If the Model 3 was a hatchback, things would be different...

One day perhaps...

Back