Republican tax proposal will terminate $7,500 EV tax credit

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
evnow said:
That's why you don't see enough money to address Flint poisonous water (or free college tuition) but a $70B increase in military spending.
The fact that the first two are not the purview of the federal government but the latter is wouldn't have anything to do that?

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:
That's why you don't see enough money to address Flint poisonous water (or free college tuition) but a $70B increase in military spending.
The fact that the first two are not the purview of the federal government but the latter is wouldn't have anything to do that?
No.

Have your ever heard of the EPA, or federal college assistance programs ?

In more news surrounding the retarded Repub/Trump tax "reform," an included attack on university graduate training:
https://www.theverge.com/2017/11/7/16619246/tax-bill-trump-gop-cuts-and-jobs-act-graduate-students-tuition-waiver-reductions

Oh, wait, I just remembered. You are the fool who thinks education is a waste of money.

LeftieBiker said:
... I just wish I knew for sure what is going to happen, as I have a specific Bolt in mind but would still prefer a 2018 Leaf...
The expert opinions I've read give a tax overhaul plan clearing congress this year a 40% chance. From what I read, trump has a 0% success record this year on major legislation. Even if it passes , it may not pass with quick repeal of EV tax credit.

LTLFTcomposite said:
SageBrush said:
Oh, wait, I just remembered. You are the fool who thinks education is a waste of money.
Have you ever heard of something called state and local government?
Why yes, I have.

I also happen to live in a rural, Repub politics dominated area with public education so poor the local students are mostly doomed to repeat the same menial job existence as their parents and the local economy goes nowhere. So even though the state of Colorado has some good public colleges the locals are ill-equipped to take advantage. Of the few that might escape the rut or improve the community, you want to make college too expensive for them.

Way to go, bozo

About federal subsidy of public higher education:
https://www.insidehighered.com/news/2015/06/12/study-us-higher-education-receives-more-federal-state-governments

If you don't like the way things are in Colorado why don't you either work to change them or move to some place more to your liking? Apparently somebody is content or they would be voting for different people. If you can't influence things at the state and local level how can you expect to affect things in Washington? That's how this country was designed to operate, push decision making down.
The problem with runaway college costs is the same as runaway healthcare costs, once consumerism is removed and it becomes "free" (or worse yet people are enticed to borrow for it with easy credit) it's Katie bar the door, providers have no incentive to keep costs in line and deliver value. There's no way college should cost anywhere near what people are being told they have to pay for it.

LTLFTcomposite said:
Apparently somebody is content or they would be voting for different people.
What is apparent, is that you do not have a clue about rural America. They vote on wedge issues like guns and abortions, fear of change, and racism; and they devalue education -- just like you. They are FAR from content, and it shows up in alcoholism, illicit drug abuse, obesity, depression and violence. They vote Trump because he tells them someone else is to blame for their unemployment or menial wage.

You mistake impotence for preference.

LTLFTcomposite said:
There's no way college should cost anywhere near what people are being told they have to pay for it.
Why, I bet the capitalist free market will jump in any day now and fill that vacuum. Any day now ...

Have you noticed the state of public education in the Southern states, Florida included ?

Ripoff online "universities" like "The University of Phoenix" have been competing with public colleges and private brick and mortar universities for decades. They take billions in student loans, and in return students get a lifetime of debt and little more. I'm sure "Trump University" must ring a few bells...?

LTLFTcomposite said:
SageBrush said:
Have you ever heard of something called state and local government?
Our state and local government look at how each household votes and gerrymanders 40,000 liberal households into a strange snake like district then groups 20,000 republicans into another snakelike district.

The you can’t win scenario plays out locally each year.

Back on topic. The senate version of the bill preserves tax credit for renewables & EV Tax Credit.

https://electrek.co/2017/11/09/electric-vehicle-tax-credit-preserved-in-senates-revised-tax-bill-says-senator/

“The South Dakota Republican said the measure also preserves existing clean energy tax incentives such as for electricity production from wind. It preserves a tax credit for electric cars as well.“

LTLFTcomposite said:
evnow said:
Not really.

Fed govt gives some money now for Flint, just not enough.

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/16/us/politics/flint-michigan-water-senate-aid.html

Senate Approves Funding for Flint Water Crisis

GI bill is a good example of free college education done by feds.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-congress-moore/white-house-wants-republican-in-alabama-senate-seat-for-tax-bill-vote-adviser-idUSKBN1DK1T0
Sounds like the situation is very desperate. If I were a betting man I would say it is definitely not going to happen this year.

Here is what will happen: a handful of Republicans will say that they can't support the Senate bill as written. The bill will be changed just enough for them to vote Yes, and the bill will pass. Then the House and Senate bills will go to the Conference Committee for reconciliation, where a final bill will be negotiated that both houses can support. Now, show of virtual hands: how many people here think that the committee will decide to keep the EV tax credit? Keep in mind that this committee will be Republican-controlled, and that there is no real reason the credit couldn't be dropped in the final Senate version, leaving two bills to be reconciled, with the credit being eliminated in both versions...

The only way the credit will continue, IMO, is if the Senate can't pass a budget bill. This seems much less likely, because they can change the bill as needed to get the necessary votes.

The bill is already very difficult to get through the Senate. Several republican senators have already said they will not vote for it if it repeals the EV tax credit. It only takes one to say no, because otherwise they don't have enough votes. The repeal of the EV tax credit looks very dead to me, regardless of what the house or trump administration would like. Doesn't matter what is agreed or not agreed in committee, there just isn't the votes to repeal it, in the Senate.

The conference committee for reconciliation knows this and they will structure the new bill very closely to what the Senate wants. Any deviation from this means nothing gets passed, which is what has happened to every other piece of major legislation this year.

It only takes one to say no, because otherwise they don't have enough votes.

That isn't true. They can have either one or two No's and still pass it. They can also, and I can't emphasize this enough because you don't seem to understand this part, change the bill to get more votes. It isn't a stone tablet that must be voted on as-is. It should also be noted that the Senate version does not repeal the EV tax credit, so that point is moot. The Senate bill will likely pass (after modification) for these reasons, and the Conference Committee will then have to decide if the credit stays or goes. With almost all of the Republicans in the House and most of the Republicans in the Senate supporting ending it, I just don't see an outcome that keeps the credit. Only a complete failure to pass a budget is likely to maybe save the credit, and even then it can still be killed retroactive to 1/1/2018 when a budget does eventually pass.

LeftieBiker said:
It only takes one to say no, because otherwise they don't have enough votes.
That isn't true. They can have either one or two No's and still pass it.
They already have more Repulican No's then you suspect. Several senators have said they are not sure they can vote for the bill. Jeff Flake for example.
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-tax-flake/contrary-to-trump-tweet-senator-flake-still-undecided-on-tax-bill-idUSKBN1DK04K

LeftieBiker said:
...They can also, and I can't emphasize this enough because you don't seem to understand this part, change the bill to get more votes. It isn't a stone tablet that must be voted on as-is.

Gee, I hope most of us know how bills make their way through Congress!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tyeJ55o3El0[/youtube]

But I think the changes maybe aren't as simple as you make it seem. The GOP is at war with itself. We saw with Health Care -- some say no because the bill goes to far for them; others say no because the bill doesn't go far enough. That doesn't leave a lot of room for a compromise. The third leg of the stool is sweetening the pot all-around, but with that approach you anger the deficit hawks. We could end up with no substantive reform.

Back