Leaf Price / Discount discussion thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Probably none left by January. Only 21 left within 100 miles of me.
I agree. This seems like one thing Nissan has figured out quite closely. They have set their promotions and discounts up to come very close to selling every 2017 Leaf by the time the 2018s are at the dealerships. Now, the next question for many will be how Nissan handles the end of lease residual on 2016s and 2017s as that comes around.

I am trying to figure out if a 2016 or 2017 LEAF would be a good car for my daughter in LA. She is a student and doesn't have lots of driving needs. I had a 2012 LEAF on a 42 mo. lease which I turned in DEC 2015, so I know the car.

A - as a student, would she be able to qualify as a CA resident if I titled it in her name with her LA address? If so, since she has no income would she meet the requirements for the state rebate? Does it require that you not be named as a dependent on someone else's taxes?

B - if I title it in her name, I'd lose the $7,500 tax credit, right? Probably moots Q #A above.

C - is the public charging infrastructure robust enough to support the car if she can't charge at her apartment?

D - I am entitled to a $10k incentive credit from Duke Energy. I have been in touch with Nissan who confirms it has been extended to 12.31.17 and is good on 2016 and 2017 cars. What is the best way to leverage that incentive? Should I just try to negotiate a price and then tell them I have the $10k incentive they can apply to reduce it from that lower #? Should I be upfront and tell them I don't care what incentives / discounts they apply that I am entitled to, but I need the price to be $X BEFORE any $7,500 tax credit since I am buying it outright?

E - Assuming all other options are relatively equal, what is the $ amount which would convince you to accept a new 2016 (24 kWh battery) instead of a 2017 (30 kWh battery)? Yes, there are still a few 2016 new LEAFs sitting on lots across the US. I was thinking $5k would be a discount which would at least make me think about taking a 2016.

F - I'm counting on doing the whole transaction remotely and having them ship the car to LA to take advantage of the whole country inventory since levels are pretty low. For some reason, there are a ton of LEAFs "marooned" in the Seattle area, so they should be willing to deal with the 2018s breathing down their necks. I've alloted $500 for the shipping but think I can get it done well under that.

G - Final Jeopardy: knowing what we know (inventory levels, $10k incentive available to me / dealer, 2018s on the way, etc.) , what is a good % off MSRP prior to the $7,500 tax rebate? Assume an S is $30k, is it fair to try to get it for $15k ($5k / 17% discount, $10k incentive) (net $7.5k after the tax rebate)?

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

I am also considering a 2016 / 2017 LEAF to replace my 2013 MY.

A. I know for the federal rebate you have to have enough tax liability to claim the $7,500 credit. So a student would get no benefit. As for California I do not know...I do know there is some kind of delay on receiving the state credit (has it been funded yet?).

B. Yes it may be a hassle, but it might be better to title under your name FIRST, so you can guarantee getting the federal credit. Then simply transfer it to her later on. She can be put as an authorized driver under insurance without issue for the time being. If the California credit is a must, then find a friend of hers to "buy" the car then transfer (trust + timing + complications could ensue).

C. I think it all depends on how many she drives each day? if it's less than 20 then she would only need to charge once a week or less. Use plugshare.com or the app to verify if charging stations are nearby? I do know there are some apartment dwellers all over who do own electric cars. It's all dependent on use.

D. I have this same question as I live in NC. My thinking is just negotiate the price up front without referencing the rebate. They very likely know it's available but that is a net neutral effect on them. The fact is they should be willing to just negotiate the price without any incentives.

E. I'll let others respond on this.

F. You can ship the car cross country for $500? That seems a bit low. I was thinking more like $1,000. If you can do it lower, please let me know who can! :-D

G. I imagine given these models are basically obsolete with the 2018 coming in, I would patiently gather quotes from more than one dealer and just see who goes the lowest (without the rebate).

jpa2825 said:
I am trying to figure out if a 2016 or 2017 LEAF would be a good car for my daughter in LA. She is a student and doesn't have lots of driving needs. I had a 2012 LEAF on a 42 mo. lease which I turned in DEC 2015, so I know the car.

A - as a student, would she be able to qualify as a CA resident if I titled it in her name with her LA address? If so, since she has no income would she meet the requirements for the state rebate? Does it require that you not be named as a dependent on someone else's taxes?

B - if I title it in her name, I'd lose the $7,500 tax credit, right? Probably moots Q #A above.

C - is the public charging infrastructure robust enough to support the car if she can't charge at her apartment?

D - I am entitled to a $10k incentive credit from Duke Energy. I have been in touch with Nissan who confirms it has been extended to 12.31.17 and is good on 2016 and 2017 cars. What is the best way to leverage that incentive? Should I just try to negotiate a price and then tell them I have the $10k incentive they can apply to reduce it from that lower #? Should I be upfront and tell them I don't care what incentives / discounts they apply that I am entitled to, but I need the price to be $X BEFORE any $7,500 tax credit since I am buying it outright?

E - Assuming all other options are relatively equal, what is the $ amount which would convince you to accept a new 2016 (24 kWh battery) instead of a 2017 (30 kWh battery)? Yes, there are still a few 2016 new LEAFs sitting on lots across the US. I was thinking $5k would be a discount which would at least make me think about taking a 2016.

F - I'm counting on doing the whole transaction remotely and having them ship the car to LA to take advantage of the whole country inventory since levels are pretty low. For some reason, there are a ton of LEAFs "marooned" in the Seattle area, so they should be willing to deal with the 2018s breathing down their necks. I've alloted $500 for the shipping but think I can get it done well under that.

G - Final Jeopardy: knowing what we know (inventory levels, $10k incentive available to me / dealer, 2018s on the way, etc.) , what is a good % off MSRP prior to the $7,500 tax rebate? Assume an S is $30k, is it fair to try to get it for $15k ($5k / 17% discount, $10k incentive) (net $7.5k after the tax rebate)?

If you're a customer of Duke Energy, then forget the CA incentive (it's generally either/or, since they apply to the buyer's residence). See this thread for details: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=23814

As for a further discount off of MSRP (which is $33k for the base S), I second jdcbomb's thoughts.

As for "E" ... if the 24kwh leaf will work just fine for your daughter, then I'd settle for that over the 30kwh leaf, with a minimal discount for being "older". Although there isn't enough data to go by yet, but due a variety of possible causes the bigger battery seems to be degrading faster.

jpa2825 said:

Is you daughter a student at one of the University of California campus? Most of UC campus has the $10K incentive.

Does she have a California driver license? I think that's all that is require for the California Clean Vehicle Rebate. Since this is a rebate, it has nothing to do with income, so she will qualify for the rebate. In fact, she may even qualify for the increase rebate of $4500.

I took advantage of this two months ago - some thoughts for you:

1. No brainer - you have to take title to get the $7,500 fed tax credit.

2. The $10,000 utility incentive is a given whether you pay MSRP or substantially below MSRP. Negotiate the best possible deal off MSRP.

3. No brainer - go for a 2017. The battery warranty is 8 years vs 5 for the 24. I fully expect to get a new battery in 4-5 years and look forward to a new battery with better chemistry.

4. As to final price, I negotiate an "out-the-door" price. Dealers will try to add on extras - discount them totally. As an example, they may try to add in "VIN etching" - just say no.

WIth tight supply, pricing may not be as generous but no harm in swinging for the fence.

I hate Nissan dealers. My 2012 Leaf lease is up and NMAC isn't letting me extend the lease any further. You'd think I'd be a motivated buyer, but having dealt with the 3 local dealers within 15 miles, I'm sick of it and am leaning towards a CPO Model S Tesla.

Why can't dealers give prices over email? Why do they want me to sit for 2-3 hours at a dealership, while the sales person talks to the manager, etc.?

Why does Nissan show a Leaf SL price at $750 / month to lease, with a "special offer" of $355 / month below? That is a difference of 2x, and darn if two of the dealers didn't try to tell me the fair value of a LEAF SL lease is $750 per month!

MarthaT123 said:
I hate Nissan dealers. My 2012 Leaf lease is up and NMAC isn't letting me extend the lease any further. You'd think I'd be a motivated buyer, but having dealt with the 3 local dealers within 15 miles, I'm sick of it and am leaning towards a CPO Model S Tesla.

Why can't dealers give prices over email? Why do they want me to sit for 2-3 hours at a dealership, while the sales person talks to the manager, etc.?

Why does Nissan show a Leaf SL price at $750 / month to lease, with a "special offer" of $355 / month below? That is a difference of 2x, and darn if two of the dealers didn't try to tell me the fair value of a LEAF SL lease is $750 per month!

Many car dealerships are criminal enterprises that are sanctioned by a society that is just used to car dealers being criminals. I suggest you cast a wider net, and try dealers with better reputations.

1. No brainer - you have to take title to get the $7,500 fed tax credit.

NMAC passes the whole tax credit on to you when you lease, so no.

3. No brainer - go for a 2017. The battery warranty is 8 years vs 5 for the 24. I fully expect to get a new battery in 4-5 years and look forward to a new battery with better chemistry.

Most people don't want to deal with the everyday realities of battery degradation. If you need 80 or more miles of range, then getting a 2017 would really be a "no-brainer" - it would be stupid, at least for those who know about the issue. For those who don't it would just be terrible.

Phatcat73 said:
Good deal on a 2018 in the Chicagoland area.

http://thomasnissan.vinmanagersites.com/AutoDetails2.aspx?id=51431583

Thanks for posting this. Was able to use that earlier this month to get my local dealer to match the price on an SV in inventory.

I finally spoke with an area Leaf salesman who didn't tell me 'You have to buy what we have in stock.' He is reluctant to do a factory order because of a supposed long lead time, but he is going to check the list of cars "in the pipeline" for his dealership to see if there is one that matches my checklist. I'm thinking I may have to choose a color other than scarlet ember (?) but I'm hopeful I may actually get the SL I don't want, so I can swap the seats or at least cover them, in order to have Around View.

It's looking to me that when Nissan tied the Premium Package" upgrades to the SL only, in the apparent hope of boosting SL sales, that what they have actually accomplished is simply a reversal of popularity with the SV. Now the SVs will be the last cars sold on the lot, along with the S without the Charge Package. Since a loaded SV and loaded SL seem to be about the same price now, all that Nissan has accomplished, IMO, is making me angry.

Am I missing the fine print, or this a nice deal? I keep looking for some wording that says this discount includes the tax credit, but I don't see it....

https://www.edmartinnissan.com/inventory/new-vehicles/vehicle/1N4AZ1CP2JC303778/2018-Nissan-Leaf-Indianapolis-Indiana

Newporttom said:
Am I missing the fine print, or this a nice deal? I keep looking for some wording that says this discount includes the tax credit, but I don't see it....

https://www.edmartinnissan.com/inventory/new-vehicles/vehicle/1N4AZ1CP2JC303778/2018-Nissan-Leaf-Indianapolis-Indiana

call em up! Find out. guessing price listed is after the fed tax credit

Newporttom said:
I guess I'll call them Monday. (Although it's 90% hypothetical). So I guess you think they won't offer that price if you buy, just if you lease.....

You might get the same incentives if you buy - AND if you qualify for the full $7500 tax credit.

I'm in the market for a second Leaf in my house.... I have seen an "internet price" of a dealer near me discounting a 2018 SV $1350 from sticker.

I have two questions: 1) Can we expect that the new Leafs will be mostly sold "sticker price" due to their newness? Or can we negotiate $2-3K discounts on these new cars. 2) I see that Nissan is not currently offering the old rebate of $3500 off the price when you finance for 72 months (0.0%). Could we expect they bring that rebate back as the year goes on? I would DIE if I bought now, and in August, they brought back the $3500 discount!!!

DaveinOlyWA said:
Newporttom said:

call em up! Find out. guessing price listed is after the fed tax credit

I cant see how a price of $38K on any Leaf is a "GREAT" price.... So they take $1000 off... They will still make thousands on the car.

Back