Best and Worst Case

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I consider the range test as simply a means of catching a BMS reset, as LeafSpy alone can't protect against that.

I think it would be highly unlikely that an unscrupulous dealership would take the risk of doing a BMS reset on a car with 85% SOH or better, as most buyers would see 12 capacity bars on a car like that and would assume the battery was in good shape anyways...

By doing a range test on a 2 or 3 bar loser that had a BMS reset, it would be pretty obvious that the battery was lousy.

In other words, the range test doesn't have to be super accurate - its usefulness is in avoiding a Leaf that has great, but fake, LeafSpy stats due to a BMS reset.

alozzy said:
I consider the range test as simply a means of catching a BMS reset, as LeafSpy alone can't protect against that.

I think it would be highly unlikely that an unscrupulous dealership would take the risk of doing a BMS reset on a car with 85% SOH or better, as most buyers would see 12 capacity bars on a car like that and would assume the battery was in good shape anyways...

By doing a range test on a 2 or 3 bar loser that had a BMS reset, it would be pretty obvious that the battery was lousy.

In other words, the range test doesn't have to be super accurate - its usefulness is in avoiding a Leaf that has great, but fake, LeafSpy stats due to a BMS reset.
Good point. It doesn't matter for this purpose if the actual capacity is 19.5 kWh or 18.9 kWh. The question is whether the capacity is 19 kWh or 17 kWh.

Well, after agreeing to all the terms, it was sold out from under me. So there's that. :(

I have a sneaking suspicion that EV sales are VERY seasonal, hence the significant price rise in the last 6 months. Back to looking mode. :D

alozzy said:

Yep!

BuckMkII said:
I should say that, while this sounds good on paper, I'm not totally convinced it's foolproof to do this on one test drive and say you "know" the capacity of the pack. Mine actually got a better score on my first try!
It is a pretty good test if 50%+ of the SOC is used during the test

@BuckMkII you said:

I should say that, while this sounds good on paper, I'm not totally convinced it's foolproof to do this on one test drive and say you "know" the capacity of the pack. Mine actually got a better score on my first try!

I'm not saying "do this one test", quite the opposite. I'm saying, use Leaf Spy to obtain the BMS stats AND use the range test to make sure that the BMS wasn't reset. Neither one, by itself, is reliable.

Back