Meter for Wall Plug

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cornellio said:
Does anyone know how I could setup a meter that plugs into a regular 120V outlet?

I live in a condo and have a garage with a 120V plug, but the HOA doesn't allow charging a car from it because the electricity gets billed to them. Is there a way I can use a meter that charges me for the electricity (either linked to my credit card or send me the bill?)

Don't know why I didn't see this thread earlier, but I use something called a Modlet to monitor power usage on my EVSE (P6-20 plug) as well A/V equipment (standard 110v). The ThinkEco app (and associated cloud data tracking) is free...and it works great.

http://www.thinkecoinc.com/products/

Note that there are 2 different kit/adapter types: one for 110v and one for 220v.

Anyone know how much it costs (roughly) to have an electrician come out and survey and then install a sub-meter like the Hialeah ones? I'm in an apartment, currently can only charge at work (it's free at work though), but I'll want a home charging solution sometime. I park in a carport with a 120V outlet that is common utility billed (landlord uses a billing company which splits the common electricity cost among residents).

I was proposing to add a sub-meter, and I also saw JuicePlug which seems to be an easier way to meter my energy usage. I think I would need someone to make sure the carport circuit can handle the 12-15A continuous for the 120V EVSE. Note I live in Bay Area CA where electricity costs are obscene ($0.26/kWH on the time of use plan, but up to $0.45/kWH if not), so I'd want to talk my landlord into switching that over also.

jkenny23 said:
Anyone know how much it costs (roughly) to have an electrician come out and survey and then install a sub-meter like the Hialeah ones? I'm in an apartment, currently can only charge at work (it's free at work though), but I'll want a home charging solution sometime. I park in a carport with a 120V outlet that is common utility billed (landlord uses a billing company which splits the common electricity cost among residents).

I was proposing to add a sub-meter, and I also saw JuicePlug which seems to be an easier way to meter my energy usage. I think I would need someone to make sure the carport circuit can handle the 12-15A continuous for the 120V EVSE. Note I live in Bay Area CA where electricity costs are obscene ($0.26/kWH on the time of use plan, but up to $0.45/kWH if not), so I'd want to talk my landlord into switching that over also.

the variance in costs could be a grand. Really depends on what needs to be done. Can you do surface conduit? I did mine SUPER cheap by removing plug, wiring meter to junction box that held the plug and using surface mounted box to reinstall plug. I have to think there could be restrictions to this for certain conditions in specific localities, yada yada....

Sounds like that's a non starter. I would be paying the costs for any installation or surveying (and needless to say those costs would never be recovered since I'm a renter). There's already surface conduit running the string of carport outlets, only concern is whether the installation was designed to handle 15A continuous plus possibly some other small loads and ~100W of fluorescent lighting connected at the same time. I don't know where the meter is for the carport, might be in a maintenance room that's locked off and pretty far away.

Rather than trying to make this happen on your own, you could lobby your strata council.

Perhaps these will help:

https://evercharge.net/

https://www.chargepoint.com/businesses/apartments-and-condos/

If you have a z-wave hub like smartthings (smartthings.com) at home you can use AeonEnergy meter. It work great for me. It report energy usage (kWH and Curre W) back to the hub, and can monitor usage on the SmartThings app.

https://www.amazon.com/Aeon-Labs-DS...81126&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=aeon+energy&psc=1

The link above is for 2 units. You can intall 1 - to monitor whole house everygy use and another to monitor EVSE energy use. (Probably you have to open up your breaker box to do this and if you are not familar with house wiring this may be not for you).

Ask an electrician to add a meter just before your wallplug. It will monitor only you and you can pay back the electricity to the building manager once a year.

That one cost about 120$ (Centron Itron CL-200) but is for 240 volts. I`d say 1hre of work if sufficient.

Something else I`ve seen if your call is fully electric is just check the total KM of you car once a year on the odometer. Then calculate how many kwh that relates according to your car. Yes you`ll pay for electricity you got from elsewhere to your buiding association however it may be cheaper than paying for a meter... It`s win win for all. Buiding gets more money, you don`t pay the meter and no need to change anything.

Then when more people have electric cars in a couple of years in your building you`ll have some leverage to do a proper install that is future proof.

jduval-condo11-PP-b_zpsz2aelztt.jpg

Back