Advice needed for a 2nd leaf

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Garba

We already own a 2015 Nissan Leaf S and my wife was using it last year to commute to work with a roundtrip of around 72 miles mostly highway. But as you can guess she was scared to make it back and hence exchanged it with me for a gaser. She doesn't have charging at work and don't have the time to charge along the way.

She pays 2x the toll in bay area when using a gaser ($5 per day) vs leaf ($2.5 per day). Given the substantial savings she can get if we lease a 2017 Leaf with 30KWH battery, does it make sense for us to lease another leaf (3rd car for us)?

1) Current bill for her is around $150 per month in gas. Electricity will cost around $50 per month.
2) Current toll bill is around $110 per month. With leaf, this will drop down to $55 per month.

Will the savings offset the lease+insurance per month? Also we only have 1 car garage which I use for charging my leaf and now I will have to charge at work (slight inconvenience).
Will she qualify for the $2500 rebate given we already took one for 2015 leaf?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
-Garba

i'd have her look into plugging into a 120v outlet at work to top off during the day, that would be enough to ease her fears. otherwise seems a bit hard to justify the savings to have a 3rd car. your insurance and car registration fees will come into play also. and it would probably be silly to sell the 2015 leaf because of the value..

estomax said:
i'd have her look into plugging into a 120v outlet at work to top off during the day, that would be enough to ease her fears. otherwise seems a bit hard to justify the savings to have a 3rd car. your insurance and car registration fees will come into play also. and it would probably be silly to sell the 2015 leaf because of the value..

This.

I scoffed at first at the L1 charging my wife has at work, but sitting there 6 to 8 hours, that's 24 to 32 miles of charge added.

Has worked great for her, maybe your wife can convince them to help save the environment by letting her plug in?

As for the tax credit, that's attached to each car, not to the buyer. As long as the Leaf is new, you can get as many as you like if you lease them. If you buy, you have to have $7500 in Federal tax liability for each car.

I makes absolutely no sense to commit to a third car in the hopes of saving a few bucks in fuel and tolls.. You will have new expenses, AND you will be wasting what you pay for insurance and upkeep of the gas car. If you need a car, buy it, but you sound like you are just in lust of another electric car....

Why not sell the 15 for a 17?

How close is 72 miles to the range that the car is getting today? Would it make it but cause a little anxiety, or would it be genuinely tight? 72 miles is about the longest I've ever taken my '15 on a single charge (my battery is not the greatest), and there are a few bad weather days here in MN where I've had the LBW at <40 miles.

If you can trickle charge for a few hours that would make a big difference.

Garba said:
We already own a 2015 Nissan Leaf S and my wife was using it last year to commute to work with a roundtrip of around 72 miles mostly highway. But as you can guess she was scared to make it back and hence exchanged it with me for a gaser. She doesn't have charging at work and don't have the time to charge along the way.

She pays 2x the toll in bay area when using a gaser ($5 per day) vs leaf ($2.5 per day). Given the substantial savings she can get if we lease a 2017 Leaf with 30KWH battery, does it make sense for us to lease another leaf (3rd car for us)?

1) Current bill for her is around $150 per month in gas. Electricity will cost around $50 per month.
2) Current toll bill is around $110 per month. With leaf, this will drop down to $55 per month.

Will the savings offset the lease+insurance per month? Also we only have 1 car garage which I use for charging my leaf and now I will have to charge at work (slight inconvenience).
Will she qualify for the $2500 rebate given we already took one for 2015 leaf?

Any other thoughts?

Thanks
-Garba

So you're able to make use of the '15 leaf, but your wife can't. But her commute would benefit from a '17 leaf to the tune of $155/month or $1860/year. While you occasionally need the gasser for long trips? How often is occasionally anyway? Would it be scarce enough to justify renting a car versus the additional insurance/maintenance of keeping the gasser?

With the leaf2 and model3 being just around the corner, I think you should hold off on this discussion, at least until Sept (only costs you $310 on a $15,000 decision)

Not to throw this off of a Leaf discussion, but for longer range as we all know now the new 2018 Leaf will have a lot longer range, also I've been watching the Tesla S used market like teslainventory.com and I see a fair amount in the higher 30's to lower 40's coming of 1st lease - range is typically 200-300 on those cars. Might be a good way to go and not need a 3rd car.

unfortunately some of the 16's and 17's are deteriorating rapidly. I would not feel comfortable with that decision even with a lease. Suggest holding off until spring when the new 40kw Leaf will be out for the same price as the outgoing 30kw.

Back