Official Tesla Model 3 thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
lpickup said:
edatoakrun said:
Here is a summary of what is known about model three production levels and their significance, worth reading:

No! This is just another Tesla short picking up a non-story (or at the very least a very speculative one), treating it as gospel truth...
No, he did not.

In fact he specifically stated that he did not verify Niedermeyer's reporting.

...I have not independently attempted to verify the matters reported by Niedermeyer. I will be interested to learn whether Tesla responds either to the Niedermeyer article or to any other reporters who may inquire about it...
https://seekingalpha.com/article/4112109-model-3-may-mess-short-tesla-yet

Making false statements is no way to promote your opinions.

The cartoon was funny, but off-topic...

Back to the subject, from the same comment:

...Why It Matters

The slow rollout of the Model 3 matters in several important ways.

Every quarter of delay means Tesla will be digging the hole deeper with hundreds of millions of dollars in operating losses (as a reminder, CoverDrive’s estimate for Q3 is a GAAP loss of $498 million).

News of further delays imperils Tesla Model 3 refundable deposits. The deposits are important to Tesla not merely as interest-free loans, but as part of the narrative about the 450,000-plus people line up, ready to put down cold hard cash on a Model 3.

If the Niedermeyer story about the Michigan body panel line is accurate, it would mean that Tesla has been withholding material information from investors, and could undermine investor trust in the firm...

It's so weird how rabid the anti-Tesla people are on this forum. I also frequent PriusChat and we get a few but nothing like here, which is weird considering this is already a pro-EV forum. I'm guessing a lot of the people against Tesla on this forum either have a strong case of choice-supportive bias (in regards to their Leaf purchase) or see it as a wealthy person's car and can't participate themselves.

webb14leafs said:
Furthermore, now with the M3, they'll probably lose more money as the M3 will cannibalize sales of the MS.
Many new Tesla buyers will see little value in an MS for the additional cost versus a M3 and will buy the M3
resulting in less GP per vehicle for Tesla. Yes, the M3 is smaller but most who buy the MS rarely buy the
MS as a family vehicle like a CUV and are older buyers. Besides, why buy a MS with about the same range
and carry another 500+ lbs with a MS. Also, the M3 can be ordered with many of the same features as a MS.

This point is a very interesting conversation. I thought the same thing, but someone pointed out that it has been a successfull model for other luxury car manufacturers and shows that rich people will buy anything as long as it's expensive.

It seems logical that the 5-series BMW would cannibalize the 7-series, and the 3 the 5, but they don't. Each model represents a slight bump in trim-level, size and horsepower. Also, each one can be optioned out in a way that makes it more expensive than the next level base model. Makes no sense to me, but apparently it does to people who buy such cars.

Anyway, not saying you're off base at all - we'll have to see how it plays out - but there's a precedent for it succeeding.

Furthermore, trying to differentiate between the M3 & MS is not simply analogous to BMW with there models
(series 7/5/3) as one might initially think for Tesla. Both Tesla models can have:

1. dual motors (BMW offers different ICEs & 4 wheel drive per model)
2. air suspension (not offered on low end BMW models)
3. very similar ranges
4. very similar driving modes, e.g. autopilot, and upgradeable
5. pano roofs
6. basically the same display (inst panel) software, although smaller display (some may prefer) for M3

Many might find the MS body design old and out of style, given the newer look of the M3, e.g. similar to the new
iPhone 8/X (minor differences for some to the 7) and why some always prefer the newer one, besides it's cheaper.
It's always more impressive when you can park the latest Tesla next to your neighbor's old looking MS.

Come to think of it, the M3 is basically a replacement to most for the MS at a lower price!

IMO the Neidermeyer article does what any good click-baity story does: pick a hot commodity and exploit the anxiety around it. Facts are optional / avoided.

I think it's reasonable to assume that :

1) "production hell" is real for Tesla right now
2) They're in it until Model 3 ramps up to >500 cars / week; after which the growth should be significant.
3) None of us early non-employee reservations holders will see our cars until December at the earliest, despite my Tesla page still showing Oct-Dec delivery.
4) Delays are expected but costly as noted. Tesla certainly is familiar with this situation and will weather it.
5) These sorts of articles will feed on each other in the absence of positive production news despite positive Tesla news elsewhere.
6) In a year's time, we'll see that Tesla has been gaining experience; Model X ramp was faster than Model S and Model 3 will be faster than Model X.
7) Drama regarding all things Tesla will continue on the internet.

lorenfb said:
webb14leafs said:
Furthermore, now with the M3, they'll probably lose more money as the M3 will cannibalize sales of the MS.
Many new Tesla buyers will see little value in an MS for the additional cost versus a M3 and will buy the M3
resulting in less GP per vehicle for Tesla. Yes, the M3 is smaller but most who buy the MS rarely buy the
MS as a family vehicle like a CUV and are older buyers. Besides, why buy a MS with about the same range
and carry another 500+ lbs with a MS. Also, the M3 can be ordered with many of the same features as a MS.

This point is a very interesting conversation. I thought the same thing, but someone pointed out that it has been a successfull model for other luxury car manufacturers and shows that rich people will buy anything as long as it's expensive.

It seems logical that the 5-series BMW would cannibalize the 7-series, and the 3 the 5, but they don't. Each model represents a slight bump in trim-level, size and horsepower. Also, each one can be optioned out in a way that makes it more expensive than the next level base model. Makes no sense to me, but apparently it does to people who buy such cars.

Anyway, not saying you're off base at all - we'll have to see how it plays out - but there's a precedent for it succeeding.

Furthermore, trying to differentiate between the M3 & MS is not simply analogous to BMW with there models
(series 7/5/3) as one might initially think for Tesla. Both Tesla models can have:

1. dual motors (BMW offers different ICEs & 4 wheel drive per model)
2. air suspension (not offered on low end BMW models)
3. very similar ranges
4. very similar driving modes, e.g. autopilot, and upgradeable
5. pano roofs
6. basically the same display (inst panel) software, although smaller display (some may prefer) for M3

Many might find the MS body design old and out of style, given the newer look of the M3, e.g. similar to the new
iPhone 8/X (minor differences for some to the 7) and why some always prefer the newer one, besides it's cheaper.
It's always more impressive when you can park the latest Tesla next to your neighbor's old looking MS.

Come to think of it, the M3 is basically a replacement to most for the MS at a lower price!
Another clueless post.

Very good (but fairly long) summary of todays kerfuffle over what the meaning of "production" is, at Jalopnik.

Tesla Model 3 Production Is Jammed Up Because Parts Are Being Handmade: Report (UPDATED)

This week, Tesla reported only making 260 Model 3s since launching production of the all-electric sedan in July—roughly 80 percent under a promised goal of 1,500 in that span. On Friday, the Wall Street Journal reported the source of the issue: major portions of the car were still being banged out by hand as recent as September.

Citing unnamed people familiar with the matter, the WSJ said that Tesla’s advanced production line still wasn’t fully ready as of a few weeks ago. The newspaper reported that Tesla factory workers have been piecing together parts of the cars by hand, while the machinery to design the car is completed. It’s a move that is extremely unusual for the mass-market, volume-seller car the Model 3 is meant to be.

Tesla didn’t address the WSJ’s questions for the story, instead slamming the newspaper as a slanted outlet that “has relentlessly attacked Tesla with misleading articles that, with few exceptions, push or exceed the boundaries of journalistic integrity.”

What’s interesting is that WSJ isn’t the only one that has picked up these threads during the week. On Thursday, the automotive blog Daily Kanban reported that a Model 3 “pilot” body line had yet to be completed. The story cites an anonymous source who claims that two Michigan-based suppliers—Five Lakes Automation and Thai Summit America—are working on the project...

When pressed by a Jalopnik reporter multiple times this week about the handmade parts issue, a Tesla spokesperson vehemently denied this was the case.

Bits and pieces started to trickle out after a statement on Monday from Tesla, which said the “vast majority of manufacturing subsystems” at its car plant in California and the Nevada Gigafactory are “able to operate a high rate, but admitted that “a handful have taken longer to activate than expected.”...

Just after Model 3 production launched, Tesla said it was “confident we can produce just over 1,500 vehicles in Q3.” That hasn’t happened, and the company only mustered a vague explanation this week about why it fell short...

Update, 6:30 p.m.: A Tesla spokesperson sent along a statement to Jalopnik that reiterates some of the earlier points in the company’s comment to the WSJ.

This reporting is fundamentally wrong and misleading. We are still in the beginning of our production ramp, but every Model 3 is being built on the Model 3 production line, which is fully installed, powered on, producing vehicles, and increasing in automation every day. However, every vehicle manufacturing line in the world has both manual and automated processes, including the Model S and Model X line today. Contrary to the Journal’s reporting, this is not some revelation...
https://jalopnik.com/tesla-model-3-production-is-jammed-up-because-parts-are-1819197180?rev=1507324123815&utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_twitter&utm_source=jalopnik_twitter&utm_medium=socialflow

Yes, model three production began in July, and the ~30 cars delivered that month were production models.

Except for their battery packs, seats, headlights, taillights, and "several other smaller components"...

Tesla replaces Model 3 headlights, battery, seats, and more while going through ‘production hell’

...employees and company insiders are the ones taking delivery of early production vehicles. Those vehicles are subject to components changes as Tesla tunes its manufacturing processes for Model 3 and add more production parts.

Sources familiar with those changes confirmed to Electrek that they had to make over a half dozen of them. In most cases, the vehicles are still performing normally, but Tesla wants to replace a now “prototype” part with a production one or it has improved on a production part through the deployment of the Model 3 manufacturing lines.

For example, Tesla has already replaced the Model 3 front and passenger seats as well as the battery packs from the vehicles made in July.

More recently, Tesla changed the Model 3’s headlight and tail lights for vehicles made in August. The headlights were replaced with an “upgraded version”, while the first version of the tail lights were susceptible to condensation – something that was visible in some Model 3 production candidates spotted in the wild earlier this year.

Tesla also had to replace several other smaller components...
https://electrek.co/2017/10/06/tesla-model-3-headlights-battery-seats/

edatoakrun said:
Yes, model three production began in July, and the ~30 cars delivered that month were production models.

Except for their battery packs, seats, headlights, taillights, and "several other smaller components"...

I'm not sure why you are so worked up over this and why your posting to see if you can get us worked up about it. It just does not seem to matter to most of us. They are delivering cars to their employees as they get the production line up and running.

If this continues after they begin non employee vehicles, I'd be a bit more concerned. I'm sure every one of the cars delivered, to the employees, come with an understanding that there will be post delivery updates. As long as both parties understand and agree to this its not a big deal.

It does seem like the whole thing is a good 90 days behind where I thought it was, not like they were really ready to start volume production this quarter.

sparky said:
1) "production hell" is real for Tesla right now

Welcome to the real world. Many companies have similar production problems and DEAL with it.
Without their CEOs on a product release day stating publicly, "We'll be in production hell".

sparky said:
2) They're in it until Model 3 ramps up to >500 cars / week; after which the growth should be significant.
3) None of us early non-employee reservations holders will see our cars until December at the earliest, despite my Tesla page still showing Oct-Dec delivery.

You know that as facts, right?

sparky said:
4) Delays are expected but costly as noted. Tesla certainly is familiar with this situation and will weather it.

Yes, and you'd think Tesla would have learned from the MX, but guess not.

sparky said:
6) In a year's time, we'll see that Tesla has been gaining experience; Model X ramp was faster than Model S and Model 3 will be faster than Model X.

Really? More hyperbole, or wishful thinking?

Anyone 'into' palm reading?

sparky said:

Realistically the ModelX ramp was only "faster" if you don't count the YEARS it was at zero. Iirc, we were on the reservation list for over a year and a half before we gave up. And we were "latecomers". "Introduced" Feb 2012; with deliveries planned for "early 2014"; actually began 4th quarter 2015. So it's not surprising for the ramp rate to finally accelerate when you've have people and equipment prepared and idling for a year and a half.

And I don't say this to bash Tesla; I'm actually rooting for them. But their track record on meeting the expectations they set has been disappointing. And while this so far has been largely shrugged off by their well-heeled early-adopter clientele, it is less cute to the demographics you must satisfy to become a successful mass-market manufacturer. Nothing will quiet their critics like meeting their expectations for once. And nothing will embolden them like failing to meet their expectations... again.

Nubo said:
sparky said:

Realistically the ModelX ramp was only "faster" if you don't count the YEARS it was at zero. Iirc, we were on the reservation list for over a year and a half before we gave up. And we were "latecomers". "Introduced" Feb 2012; with deliveries planned for "early 2014"; actually began 4th quarter 2015. So it's not surprising for the ramp rate to finally accelerate when you've have people and equipment prepared and idling for a year and a half.

And I don't say this to bash Tesla; I'm actually rooting for them. But their track record on meeting the expectations they set has been disappointing. And while this so far has been largely shrugged off by their well-heeled early-adopter clientele, it is less cute to the demographics you must satisfy to become a successful mass-market manufacturer. Nothing will quiet their critics like meeting their expectations for once. And nothing will embolden them like failing to meet their expectations... again.

The critics will just move on to something else to claim the sky is falling... for Tesla.

I agree. Critics will find something to whine about like a little child regardless of what Tesla does. Ironic thing is that the critics are the ones that aren't buyers. They just have a sad enough life that they have to whine about stuff even though it doesn't affect them.

The customer delivery/volume production date has always been Late 2017, and I've always thought that meant December 2017, and this came from comments Elon made when they reworked their production schedule to meet the 100's of thousands of reservations taken at the reveal event in March/April of 2016.

In Elon and Tesla's own words, they set the start date of July 1 knowing that it is not going to mean "real" production, and that real production would be months away from that date in reality. Here are their comments from first quarter 2016 when the moved the production date up to meet the demand created at the reveal event.

Elon/Tesla said:
At the risk of this being misinterpreted, and probably there will be some number of articles that do, I think it's worth explaining sort of how manufacturing a complex object with several thousand unique components actually works. And what date's relevant and – in order to achieve volume production of a new car with several thousand unique items, you actually have to set a target date internally and with suppliers that is quite aggressive. And that is a date that has to be taken seriously. So like the date, because I'm sure this will leak it's hard to keep a secret, really. The date we are setting with suppliers to get to a volume production capability with the Model 3 is July 1 next year.

Now, will we actually be able to achieve volume production on July 1 next year? Of course, not. The reason is that even if 99% of the internally produced items and supplier items are available on July 1, we still cannot produce the car because you cannot produce a car that is missing 1% of its component. Nonetheless, we need to both internally and with suppliers take that date seriously, and there needs to be some penalties for anyone internally or externally who does not meet that timeframe. This has to be the case, because there's just no way that you have several thousand components, all of whom make it on a particular date.

So the reality is that the volume production will then be some number of months later as we solve the supply chain and internal production issues. But it is a bit of a confusing thing, and it does create some churn, because people are like, well, what's the real date? It's like, you have to take the July 1 date seriously in order for some date a few months later or some number of months later to actually be the real date. So, yeah, that's actually how it has to work. So in order for us to be confident of achieving volume production of Model 3 by late 2017, we actually have to set a date of mid-2017 and really hold people's feet to the fire internally and externally to achieve an actual volume production date of late 2017.

https://seekingalpha.com/article/3971543-tesla-motors-tsla-elon-reeve-musk-q1-2016-results-earnings-call-transcript?part=single

http://files.shareholder.com/downloads/ABEA-4CW8X0/4922761596x0x889927/27EE2FDA-9C77-4D6A-8CEE-E8DFE45227BA/Q1_2016_Tesla_Shareholder_Letter.pdf

hyperionmark said:
I agree. Critics will find something to whine about like a little child regardless of what Tesla does. Ironic thing is that the critics are the ones that aren't buyers. They just have a sad enough life that they have to whine about stuff even though it doesn't affect them.

After posting http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20321&start=560 this insightful analytical overview of Tesla;

hyperionmark said:
I agree wholeheartedly. They are doing things to change the world that no other company is. And many Tesla bears only look at their car segment and forget this is now a wide base energy company. And even though their car segment is largest it is comforting to know as a shareholder how diversified they are.

Can you 'drill down' and provide specific insight on the M3? Please try and focus without expressing your feelings.

It seems to me there are so many people that are overly focused on proving that somehow Tesla is going to fail. All companies have challenges but as mentioned above, production was not supposed to really start until the end of this year. Siting comparative challenges like the model X production times is silly, that is a very complex car. The company as a whole has accomplished ground breaking feats as a start up. It seems most of the people with petty complaints about Tesla are not buyers or shills from competitors, investors trying to influence the stock, or other parties pushing agendas. The vast majority of reservation holders would be glad to have these cars even with flaws. Had Tesla not been here the rest of the market would still be packing V8s in their cars and claiming EVs are nonsense. Good luck to those large companies emulating this model the same way, I can't imagine Nissan doing OTA software updates the same way. Nissan squandered their head start and experience in the market with their head in the sand. Tesla is redefining the auto market even outside EVs and if they failed today they would have accomplished more than any other auto maker in defining and shaping the market.

lorenfb said:
hyperionmark said:

After posting http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=20321&start=560 this insightful analytical overview of Tesla;

hyperionmark said:
I agree wholeheartedly. They are doing things to change the world that no other company is. And many Tesla bears only look at their car segment and forget this is now a wide base energy company. And even though their car segment is largest it is comforting to know as a shareholder how diversified they are.

Can you 'drill down' and provide specific insight on the M3? Please try and focus without expressing your feelings.
Not worth wasting my time on trolls. I'm actually pretty stupid for even taking your bait and responding to all of your ignorant posts. You win, congrats.

hyperionmark said:
lorenfb said:
hyperionmark said:

hyperionmark said:

Not worth wasting my time on trolls. I'm actually pretty stupid for even taking your bait and responding to all of your ignorant posts. You win, congrats.
What really bothers me is seeing Tesla fanboys explaining things (sometimes explaining away) based upon misperceptions and having joined the "cult of Elon".

Tesla's a company about hype and while they've shipped EVs to conusmers w/unmatched range and straight line performance besides an awesome DC FC network, they've been able to also do a great deal of misleading and planting misperceptions in people's heads, even if they aren't fans.

And, they've racked up over $3.2 billion of losses in the process. (And yes, many of these Tesla fans, including you, hyperion, will incorrectly claim it's due to capital expenditures such as Gigafactory. See http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=507325#p507325.)

A friend of mine from college who works in tech had no idea that Tesla apparently is so far behind in "self-driving" (I'm referring to levels 4 or 5 of https://www.sae.org/misc/pdfs/automated_driving.pdf) compared to say Waymo (Google's efforts) in part due to their Tesla's publicity stunt video in late 2016. Another guy on Tivocommunity is a (somewhat tiresome) Tesla fanboy also had the same misperceptions.

If you don't know what I'm talking about re: the self-driving aspect, look at the reports for Tesla vs. Google Auto/Waymo, esp. how many miles each racked up vs. the # of disengagements per 1000 miles at
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/autonomous/disengagement_report_2015
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/detail/vr/autonomous/disengagement_report_2016

Even if you ignore the negativity at http://dailykanban.com/2017/02/ca-dmv-report-sheds-new-light-misleading-tesla-autonomous-drive-video/, the timelines line up w/Tesla's 2016 disengagement reports. And keep in mind, Tesla's HQ and a large body of software engineering talent is in Silicon Valley. Unfortunately, their divorce with Mobileye didn't help things.

Two more bits on Waymo's efforts (there's a LOT more):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdgQpa1pUUE was their publicity stunt video from 2012
http://www.azcentral.com/story/money/business/tech/2017/04/25/google-self-driving-cars-phoenix-area-residents/100875448/ which began this year.

Someone else hit the nail on the head that Tesla "investors" are irrational.

Even before lorenfb made that remark, I was laughing and shaking my head about your perceptions of Tesla's diversification.

Back