EVSE Home Charging Equipment recommendations ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wtdedula

Hi All;
Can you recommend a good home level 2 charging station brand and model ?

There are so many - Siemens, Chargepoint, AeroVironment , etc ...

Is there any better one ?
Any to stay away from ?
Are there any particularly prone to problems/failures
Any that have proven reliability or features worth considering?
What brand do most of you buy ? Are you happy with it ?

Tim

One to definitely stay away from are the original Blink units. They were built with J1772 handles that are known to melt at high amperage rates. A few had their handles replaced, but many simply had their current turned down. Some unmodified units do make it back onto the market, and we often find out when someone mentions a melting J1772 handle...

Blink does sell a different model now called the "Blink HQ" which is little more than rebranded model also sold under other brand names, particularly Bosch.

I personally have a Clipper Creek unit and it's been great, and many other Leaf owners have them as well. They're basic but rugged units.

Some folks swear by the JuiceBox models but I don't have any personal experience with those. Another one that seems to be popular is the GE DuraStation unit. Note that GE used to sell a "WattStation" unit and that has been known to not work properly with the Leaf; the DuraStation is the current model and is simply a plain white box with a cord running out of it:

f038c613-5cf4-43c2-8322-690b760b65c3_1000.jpg

wtdedula said:
Hi All;
Can you recommend a good home level 2 charging station brand and model ?

There are so many - Siemens, Chargepoint, AeroVironment , etc ...

Is there any better one ?
Any to stay away from ?
Are there any particularly prone to problems/failures
Any that have proven reliability or features worth considering?
What brand do most of you buy ? Are you happy with it ?

Tim
You need to let us know more what you want.
Wall mount or ability to charge on the go.
Do you want features like WiFi, ability to limit charging current, maybe delayed charging by the EVSE?
How about cord length, 14' OK or would need it longer, most stop at 25' but I believe you can get longer.
Do you want a plug or hardwired version? I like plug for flexibility but others might like it hard wired.
Do you want a display or is a simple power/charge button ok?
How about amperage? the max a Leaf can use is 27.5a(30a EVSE on a 40a circuit) but if wanting to futureproof maybe you'd want 40a or more.

I have the GE mentioned above and it's a decent very plain EVSE but works fine. At $399 it's a decent deal but lately it's been listed for >$500 which IMO is too much for what you get.
I have a Juicebox and it's quite nice, lots of features for a decent price.
I also have a couple Chinese built units which are very flexible and have proven to work quite well, they are portable 120v/240v units. My latest, a Zencar model goes up to 30a and has lots of features, comes in ~$400 with shipping directly from China.
Clipper Creek is a popular model around hear, not flexible at all and priced on the higher end, but quality built for sure.

IMO I haven't really seen any bad EVSEs, other than the ones mentioned above, it's more about the features you want and how much you want to spend. Even my $299 Ebusbar is working quite well, like most in it's price range it's only 16a but does both 120v and 240v and is really portable.

I've heard nothing but good things about Clipper Creek. You would not go wrong with one of those units. It's almost always one of the first recommendations. Available in many sizes and plug (or no plug) configurations.

The ChargePoint units look interesting too, with their networking/app integration.

Hello All;
In response to jjeff;
Here are some of the questions he asked ...

Wall mount but it would also be useful to get recommendations for units that can charge on the go.
Do you want features like WiFi, ability to limit charging current, maybe delayed charging by the EVSE?
Ability to limit charging current and Wifi would be nice but not a strict requirement.
How about cord length, 14' OK or would need it longer, most stop at 25' but I believe you can get longer.
25'
Do you want a plug or hardwired version? I like plug for flexibility but others might like it hard wired.
Definitely Plug. NOT Hardwired.
Either one is fineHow about amperage? the max a Leaf can use is 27.5a(30a EVSE on a 40a circuit) but if wanting to futureproof maybe you'd want 40a or more.
I am having a 40 Amp circuit installed.

Hello All;
I have another related question.

My first quote to have an EVSE installed in garage came back at $2800 which is way more than I'd like to spend. I have a detached garage so the buried cable increased the cost.

So I've got a question. How feasible is it to have a 240 Volt, 40 Amp receptacle and an EVSE installed on the outside of my house? This should significantly reduce my cost. Would such an installation be protected from the elements (Rain/Snow)?

And another question ... I have a 240 volt receptacle installed for my stove. So what if I get one of those portable EVSE's (Can anyone recommend a good brand) and connect to it and run my cable out my kitchen window to the car ?

Tim

wtdedula said:
Hello All;
In response to jjeff;
Here are some of the questions he asked ...

Wall mount but it would also be useful to get recommendations for units that can charge on the go.
Ability to limit charging current and Wifi would be nice but not a strict requirement.
25'
Definitely Plug. NOT Hardwired.
Either one is fineHow about amperage? the max a Leaf can use is 27.5a(30a EVSE on a 40a circuit) but if wanting to futureproof maybe you'd want 40a or more.
I am having a 40 Amp circuit installed.
1. Almost all portable units can also be mounted on the wall but wall mount units are really best mounted on the wall as they are generally very bulky. Something like a Juicebox, my Zencar or even a Clipper Creek are of the portable design but due the fact that you cannot limit the current and it's 240v only, I wouldn't suggest the CC for on the go charging.
2. WiFi really limits your choices, the better Juicebox has WiFi and I believe a few of the wall mount units but it's by far the exception to have Wifi.
2. When I said "limit current" I probably should have said easily. Several of the wall mount units have jumper's within the unit that can be set to limit the output current(GE and and the Seimens for sure) CC has no way to limit current and both the better Juicebox and the Zencar are meant to easily change current, the Juicebox does require WiFi and your cell phone though.
3. 25' is kind of the max and like WiFi will limit your choices but CC, Juicebox(24') and Zencar would work, the Seimens and GE only come in 20' and 18' max AFAIK.
4. Most wall units are meant to be hardwired but some can come with a plug and others like my GE I was easily able to add a range cord for very liittle cost.
5. 40a circuit would support a 30-32a EVSE, basically all the ones I've mentioned except the $299 portable units which are 16a max would work just fine.

I guess you didn't really say a price but of the ones I've talked about the approx prices would be:
CC-$625
Juicebox-$599/$549
Zencar-~$400

The official Nissan EVSE(30a wall mount no WiFi nor ability to limit current AFAIK) seems to be $636 on Amazon and now looking they also show a WiFi version for even less($629) but you'd have to add a plug. Bosch also sells a basic model with a 25' cable for $630 and you'd also need to add an input cable or plug.
Amazon also has a seller listing a model very similar to my Zencar for $419, it uses a RFID card to adjust output amperage to either 16a, 24a(for a 30a circuit) or 32a which is the max for a 40a circuit, it also comes with a 14-50 range type plug.
https://www.amazon.com/Maxgreen-Electric-Vehicle-Charger-220-240V/dp/B073ZCFLMB/ref=sr_1_46?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1506635468&sr=1-46&keywords=level+2+ev+charger
Here is a link to various EVSEs that Amazon sells, including most of the ones I've mentioned and more:
https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_1_6?url=search-alias%3Dautomotive&field-keywords=level+2+ev+charger&sprefix=level+%2Cautomotive%2C288

wtdedula said:
Hello All;

My first quote to have an EVSE installed in garage came back at $2800 which is way more than I'd like to spend. I have a detached garage so the buried cable increased the cost.

So I've got a question. How feasible is it to have a 240 Volt, 40 Amp receptacle and an EVSE installed on the outside of my house? This should significantly reduce my cost. Would such an installation be protected from the elements (Rain/Snow)?

And another question ... I have a 240 volt receptacle installed for my stove. So what if I get one of those portable EVSE's (Can anyone recommend a good brand) and connect to it and run my cable out my kitchen window to the car ?

Tim
When you say $2800 was that just for wiring an outlet? For a 32a EVSE all you really need is a 40a circuit with a 14-50 or new range outlet. EVSEs don't need the neutral but the cost savings should be little and some inspectors may not like wiring a 14-50 outlet without a neutral.
You could have a 14-50 outlet wired to the outside of your house, along with an in-use weatherproof outlet cover, many EVSEs are able to be mounted outside, for sure portable ones. Personally, I'd try and find a way to have the EVSE somewhat covered but it's probably not necessary.
I would NOT suggest simply running a cable out your window, for one the cable is very thick, at the least I'd have the outlet mounted outside your house, hopefully, that should save you some serious cash vs direct burial cable to a detached garage.
https://www.amazon.com/GE-Industrial-Solutions-U054P-Receptacle/dp/B000BQWP56/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1506636908&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=14-50+in+use+outlet+cover

To the OP: does you garage not have any existing electrical panel? I would purchase a Zencar portable EVSE, set it to 24A, and put in a 30A dryer outlet if your panel/subpanel has room for that (2 pole breaker).

wtdedula said:
Hello All;

Could you do the trenching yourself and lower that price? Perhaps hire some cheap labor to get it done?

alozzy said:
To the OP: does you garage not have any existing electrical panel? I would purchase a Zencar portable EVSE, set it to 24A, and put in a 30A dryer outlet if your panel/subpanel has room for that (2 pole breaker).

My garage does have electrical (110V) but not 240 volts required for n EVSE. In fact, I do not believe it has a ground because I plugged in the trickle charger cable and the lights on the unit started flashing. When I investigated, this seems to indicate no ground. When I plugged into an outlet with a known ground, the lights did not flash.

Tim

davewill said:
wtdedula said:
Hello All;

Could you do the trenching yourself and lower that price? Perhaps hire some cheap labor to get it done?

The electrician actually asked me if I wanted to do it myself. I said no because I wouldn't know how to do it, nor would I have the strength even if I did know how to do it. There are also complications that likely contributed to increasing the cost such as moving a slab of cememt, and trenching around a tree with roots.

So I'm going to pursue plan B and just have an outlet installed on the outside of my home to eliminate the trenching and any work inside the garage.

Tim

wtdedula said:
So I'm going to pursue plan B and just have an outlet installed on the outside of my home to eliminate the trenching and any work inside the garage.

Tim
Good idea, but I'm not so sure about a plug outside. I personally would hard wire in that case.

Given the expense and complexity of a higher power charger ... crazy question, do you really need one?

If you could fix the grounding issue with the garage 120V outlet, could you get by with L1? I've actually been using L1 almost exclusively for the last 2 months (I have an L2 in the garage, but it's hard to get to ... long story) ;) I do have a quick charger in the neighborhood if I outstrip my L1 charging ability. But at ~30 miles per day on average, I was fine with L1 charging.

(Nissan does seem to recommend that the L1 charger be used only on a 120V circuit which has been validated to be able to handle the continuous load, but that might be a lot cheaper than the higher power install you're looking at).

sandeen said:
Given the expense and complexity of a higher power charger ... crazy question, do you really need one?

If you could fix the grounding issue with the garage 120V outlet, could you get by with L1? I've actually been using L1 almost exclusively for the last 2 months (I have an L2 in the garage, but it's hard to get to ... long story) ;) I do have a quick charger in the neighborhood if I outstrip my L1 charging ability. But at ~30 miles per day on average, I was fine with L1 charging.

(Nissan does seem to recommend that the L1 charger be used only on a 120V circuit which has been validated to be able to handle the continuous load, but that might be a lot cheaper than the higher power install you're looking at).
Living in MN you might have been able to get by this summer with L1 only......but winter is an entirely different animal for an EV :) I also got by all summer and through December but by January, I cried uncle and got my first L2. The thing is even with only a 30 mile commute, in the bitter cold and snow you may only see 35-40 miles range, and thats with a 12 bar battery. 30 miles would be doable in all conditions, assuming you have at least a 11 or 12 bar battery but the problem becomes when to charge. To completely fill your battery you'd need to be plugged in 20+hrs/day, doesn't leave a lot of time to drive and you'd have to have access to a quality 120v outlet almost all the time.
My first L2 was a 40a Juicebox and it made all the difference in the world. No longer did I have to constantly look for places to plug in, in a little more than 3hrs I could go from almost empty to full! Another big plus with L2 is pre-heating your car. With L1 you actually lose charge preheating, even if plugged in. You lose almost a percent every 2 minutes in very cold temps, 30 minutes of preheating and you could be down 15%, which means you'd be starting your day at 85% instead of 100%, not so great if you need every percent. With ~18a L2 you break even using morning warmup, with 27.5a(or the max a Leaf will take) you can actually full preheat and gain about 10%/hr, very nice indeed. With 27.5a not preheating you gain ~30%/hr, again in ~3hrs you can basically fully charge your car. Much better than the 20+hrs using the OEM L1 EVSE.

Living in a much warmer climate is a different story, there you might be able to get by with just L1 and be quite happy :)

If I were the OP I'd just go with the outside house outlet, people do it all the time with RVs and don't seem to have an issue. Personally I went with either a L14-30 or L6-30 outlet for my outside outlets but then your limited to ~24a L2, you need a 14-50 outlet(which is a fair amount larger and what most RVs use) to be able to pull 30a continuous.
Note it is possible to find 14-50 extension cords, they aren't cheap($100+ for a 20' model) and they are quite thick, but still cheaper than $2800. Note personally I would not run an extension cord where you mow or over a sidewalk, but thats just me. I guess if you coil it up when not in use it might be OK, thats the OPs call.

Well, that's a good point, I don't think the L1 even keeps up with the cabin preheat load.
Here in MN, we try to forget about the winter until it is upon us. :D

I bought the juicebox. It is worth it if you will use the wifi features. When it is cold outside, I can look at my phone and know for sure I plugged in and it is charging without getting out of bed.

rmay635703 said:
Duosida and for me 16 amps is enough
Yes the Dipsoda and similar 16a L2 EVSEs are quite a bargain but note in a very cold climate the 16a may not be enough to stop a slowly discharging battery using preheat. I've noticed I need ~19a @240v to not slowly discharge my battery during a 1/2hr morning warmup. If your OK with not starting out with a 100% charge in extreme cold temps, your fine, if you need every % I might suggest a 20+ amp L2 EVSE on at least a 30a circuit. I have a 20a L2 EVSE and I still start out with a 100%(or 80% if I have this enabled) charge even on the coldest mornings using morning warm up.

I recommend a 14-50 four-wire receptacle in a weatherproof box supplied from a 50-ampere breaker (savings in wire for 40-ampere circuit would be minimal) so that you have a full capacity RV receptacle with neutral that gives future flexibility. I also strongly recommend that you have the electrician check out (and repair) the 120-volt circuits in you detached garage for safety. UL listed plug-connected EVSEs have supply cords not exceeding 12 inches long so you need to have the EVSE on hand and determine desired mounting location before having the receptacle installed.

As far as EVSE recommendations, good advice has been given in earlier posts. I have an Aerovironment 30-ampere unit at home that has been in continuous use since June 2011 (designed to be hard wired on a 40-ampere circuit), a Clipper Creek 40-ampere unit with 14-50 plug for use on a 50-ampere RV circuit at my workshop/garage, and a coup!e of EVSE Upgrade Nissan units (one 12-ampere fixed and one 20-ampere adjustable, both 120/240-volt with twist lock plugs) for portable/backup use. All are quality units and I recommend any of them.

Back