Post Your Battery Degradation Results

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Evoforce said:
Cinnabar said:
Cinnabar said:
I lost my third bar yesterday, July 4, 2015. Another 11 months between bar losses. My mileage is at 59.5K.

My fourth bar is gone as of February 13, 2016. MY mileage is 66.5K, so only seven thousand between bars. It is getting to the point that range is a serious issue. I always need to charge to 100% to get about anywhere. I am using my Volt more and more as the public charging infrastructure is still sorely lacking.

I'm sorry you didn't make it to a free replacement.

On Aug 23, 2017, with 70.8K miles, I'm back to 12 bars after getting an out of warranty battery replacement. Nissan offered a 80/20 cost share so my out of pocket was $1617.08. I'm satisfied with the deal and very happy to get my range back to what it once was.

Purchased the car in April
35k mi
53.6AHr
82% SOH
1347 L1/L2; 96QC

Now:
38k mi
52.4 AHr
80% SOH
1430 L1/L2; 97QC

Seem normal/ Am I good, bro?

I wouldn't read too much into the Leaf Spy stats.

For instance, if you were to drive the Leaf, at highway speeds, down to low battery warning and then do a DCQC (not when it's hot out though), those stats would bounce up temporarily. Repeat that cycle a few times and they'll bounce up even more. I don't think doing that gives any lasting benefits though.

I think year to year stat comparisons, averaged over 3 or 4 readings spread over a week, would be more meaningful.

alozzy said:
I think year to year stat comparisons, averaged over 3 or 4 readings spread over a week, would be more meaningful.

Another approach would be to keep detailed records (LEAFSpy will dump data to a dropbox spreadsheet making it easy to access & process). There will be small up & down perturbations as you say, but a trend line will definitely emerge and you can somewhat extrapolate out in time, with two caveats:

1. There will be seasonal differences...in the summer the slope of the dropoff will be steeper than in the winter due to higher temps.
2. The slope at the beginning of the battery's life will be somewhat steep compared to the mid-life. And then you will eventually get to a point where you will experience another drop-off. But for most of the lifetime the slope should be pretty consistent.

45,213 miles
59.52 Ahr
97.1% SoC
91% SoH
258 GIDs
5/1478 charges

Loss of first bar is in sight :cry: :cry:

mtndrvr said:
mtndrvr said:
2/11/17
31,512 miles
63.65 Ahr
97% SoC
276 GIDs

1/4/16
22,67 miles
64.65 Ahr
97% SoC
279 GIDs
98% SoH
5 QC and 796 Level1/2 charges

Battery seems to like the mountains of CO so far

mtndrvr said:
2013 Leaf, purchased in April 2014

4/27/15
12,094 miles
65.96 Ahr
97% SoC
284 GIDs

9/22/15
19,294 miles
62.7 Ahr
97 SoC
272 GIDs

I don't have all the details from my car as I am not getting it back before the battery is changed out. 4th bar dropped somewhere around 42ahr though, and the battery is currently being changed at 41.4ahr, 57,007 miles, and 5 and a half years old. Surprised how quickly the battery went here in Virginia which I consider to be a pretty moderate climate. Hopefully the lizard battery holds up better.

Roadburner440 said:
I don't have all the details from my car as I am not getting it back before the battery is changed out. 4th bar dropped somewhere around 42ahr though, and the battery is currently being changed at 41.4ahr, 57,007 miles, and 5 and a half years old. Surprised how quickly the battery went here in Virginia which I consider to be a pretty moderate climate. Hopefully the lizard battery holds up better.

5 1/2 years means your car had the original battery chemistry, before any subsequent tweaks. Did Nissan help you out with the cost at all? You are under mileage, but over the time limit of the warranty.

"Moderate Climate" is relative, I guess. I have been in VA in summer when it was hitting the low 100s for a week. It "cooled off" to 90-something overnight. To me, that's not moderate. Of course, the humidity affects people far more than batteries.

Unfortunately, the high summer temperatures seem to do the most damage to the battery. "Average temperate" is misleading because there is a huge difference between 70s all year and 40s in the winter/100 in the summer, even if they both average out to 75.

GetOffYourGas said:
1/2 years means your car had the original battery chemistry, before any subsequent tweaks. Did Nissan help you out with the cost at all? You are under mileage, but over the time limit of the warranty.

Yeah the car is in for the battery replacement now at no cost to me. They are just waiting for the battery lift and some other stuff to come in to finish it.

Roadburner440 said:
GetOffYourGas said:
1/2 years means your car had the original battery chemistry, before any subsequent tweaks. Did Nissan help you out with the cost at all? You are under mileage, but over the time limit of the warranty.

Yeah the car is in for the battery replacement now at no cost to me. They are just waiting for the battery lift and some other stuff to come in to finish it.

Awesome! I am happy for you that Nissan was willing to cover the costs. Enjoy your like-new car!

Thanks. I actually do enjoy the car, and it has been the longest now I have ever owned any single car as I am usually not happy with any car. So while the traction battery is being replaced I am having the 12V battery replaced as well (is the original). Also getting the TCU upgrade to 3G, and the rear hatch struts replaced since last winter they were to weak to hold the door up. I will put up the new battery stats whenever I get the car back, and hopefully a part number with a build date since I know everyone is curious if these batteries are still being made. I am definitely excited as I expected to pay at least 20% up to 50% depending on their decision. Just glad I called the EV hotline after the dealership mistakenly said that the car didn't qualify for warranty replacement.

Lost bar #4 today. 2012 SL. Warranty up on 11/15.

43.21Ahr
49256 miles
65% SOH
59.18 Hx.

Roadburner440 said:
GetOffYourGas said:

[/quote]

others are reporting that Nissan has ended the discount program (well one anyway) so wondering what was your timeline to this point?

I am going to have to look at my paperwork to see when I got the battery check done when I get home from work, because I called as soon as I got home from the dealer that day. I called somewhere around 22 August, and then got final approval on 12 September. That is unfortunate if they really did end the program as I think it is something that is needed for the 2010-2013 cars with the battery chemistry being the way it is.

Roadburner440 said:
I am going to have to look at my paperwork to see when I got the battery check done when I get home from work, because I called as soon as I got home from the dealer that day. I called somewhere around 22 August, and then got final approval on 12 September. That is unfortunate if they really did end the program as I think it is something that is needed for the 2010-2013 cars with the battery chemistry being the way it is.

So a program started but not announced and now ended also without announcement? Looks like they were only interested in helping people who follow Nissan and LEAFs very closely. I run into people every day that have range issues and had no idea what Nissan was doing including someone who is rather famous here. He did express interest in paying a discount for a replacement pack and wondering if he started the process but it now looks like the end of the program could have been Sept 1st or the reveal date or possibly the day before NDEW? who really knows?

Back