iOS LeafSpy Pro Support

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I cannot get the VSP sound disable to work on my 2017 SV It is simply stuck at the screen that says turni leaf on. I tried all three states ignition on, , Acc mode, and in drive mode and then park and cannot get that message to go away. All other functions seem to work on the other screens in the service menu, but coming back to the VSP disable screen it still says "turn leaf on " and will not let you adjust any of the slide switches

UPDATE: After going to the headlight settings menu and then the door unlock settings menu then returning to the VSP menu it suddenly started working and I could modify the switch positions and it does turn off the sounds. Fantastic that this works, just getting the menu to realize that the Leaf is turned on is a little bit buggy.

rmorgansd said:
I cannot get the VSP sound disable to work on my 2017 SV It is simply stuck at the screen that says turni leaf on. I tried all three states ignition on, , Acc mode, and in drive mode and then park and cannot get that message to go away. All other functions seem to work on the other screens in the service menu, but coming back to the VSP disable screen it still says "turn leaf on " and will not let you adjust any of the slide switches

UPDATE: After going to the headlight settings menu and then the door unlock settings menu then returning to the VSP menu it suddenly started working and I could modify the switch positions and it does turn off the sounds. Fantastic that this works, just getting the menu to realize that the Leaf is turned on is a little bit buggy.
Can you take an ELM trace while turning on and off the VSP sounds. See bottom of the help file for how to do and where to send them.

After looking through all 31 pages of this post, I still did not see where to find the "manual" that explains what is on each screen and what it means and if it is good or bad.
Yes I can figure out many things, SOC=state of charge(?), having 22.7 kWh after charging is good (I think), 396.1V should be good (right?) but what is GID? Why is it at 103.6%? Is that good or bad.
So I anyone knows a web site that covers these things or the post on this sight, which I might have missed, please pass them along.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

jimmol said:
After looking through all 31 pages of this post, I still did not see where to find the "manual" that explains what is on each screen and what it means and if it is good or bad.
Yes I can figure out many things, SOC=state of charge(?), having 22.7 kWh after charging is good (I think), 396.1V should be good (right?) but what is GID? Why is it at 103.6%? Is that good or bad.
So I anyone knows a web site that covers these things or the post on this sight, which I might have missed, please pass them along.

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.
The manual is not posted in this thread, but is available within the app itself, at least in the current iOS version I have. To open:

1- Open the app
2- Tap the "hamburger" (three horizontal bars) on the top right of the screen
3- Tap the words "About/Help" on the bottom right of the screen
4- Tap "Application Help" on the screen that opens.
5- You should now see detailed instructions/explanations. Note the first sentence explains how you may obtain a *.pdf version of the same instructions if you choose.

As for GIDs, a forum search pulls up at least two references to how this metric came about. In short, forum member Gary Giddings was the first to note the CANbus data that identifies the battery charge level, so got to name it and called it GIDs...not an acronym. By way of example, a new fully-charged 2011 had a maximum of roughly 281 GIDs. For more info, do that forum search.

Hi,

Amazon is a pain in NZ so I bought a Viecar OBDII ELM327 that supports BT 4.0 (model VC102). Unfortunately, LeafSpy Pro doesn't recognise it. Can I play with the User_BLE_Id.txt in iTunes to make it work? If so, how would I go about finding BLE name, Service String, etc...

Additional info:
- When I open Bluetooth options on the iPhone SE, "Viecar" appears in new BT devices. I can't make it pair on that screen but I know BT4.0 doesn't work like that.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lz45avU05DS41tyI2

- When I use the same phone but a different app (Auto Doctor) and another car (2007 Landrover), it connects via BT4.0 no problem but once connected, it appears on my BT list as "Viecar iOS"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fCjtXbKjoqSK06e93

Not sure what this suggests but someone else might...

Cheers, David

Tewharaunz said:
Hi,

Amazon is a pain in NZ so I bought a Viecar OBDII ELM327 that supports BT 4.0 (model VC102). Unfortunately, LeafSpy Pro doesn't recognise it. Can I play with the User_BLE_Id.txt in iTunes to make it work? If so, how would I go about finding BLE name, Service String, etc...

Additional info:
- When I open Bluetooth options on the iPhone SE, "Viecar" appears in new BT devices. I can't make it pair on that screen but I know BT4.0 doesn't work like that.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/lz45avU05DS41tyI2

- When I use the same phone but a different app (Auto Doctor) and another car (2007 Landrover), it connects via BT4.0 no problem but once connected, it appears on my BT list as "Viecar iOS"
https://photos.app.goo.gl/fCjtXbKjoqSK06e93

Not sure what this suggests but someone else might...

Cheers, David
I will need to check my Viecar to see if it operates the same. It the Viecar broadcast name is really "Viecar iOS" then the current LeafSpy app will not recognize it as it is only looking for "Viecar".

You can install the free app LightBlue Explorer by Punch Through. Use it to verify the real broadcast name and let me know what it is (take a screenshot).

==================================================================================
After testing with the Viecar adapter I have, the results are a little different.

When not connected it shows up on the Settings/Bluetooth page as "Viecar'" just like yours but when connected it still shows up as "Viecar".

This leads me to believe they might have added "iOS" to the end of the broadcast name. Please run the LightBlue Explorer app to confirm this. Thanks

Tewharaunz said:
Hi Turbo3,

Thanks for the response.

I downloaded LightBlue Explorer and it definitely shows up as Viecar iOS ...screenshot attached.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/iCEpo495vXNsIUg13

I tapped the > then advertisement data for these details:

https://photos.app.goo.gl/lJMm8JqiXyA5QNvg2

I'm happy to do some further testing or beta testing possible solutions...

Cheers, David
Great, I will just change to looking for a broadcast ID with "Viecar" in it instead of an exact match.

I will include this with the 2018 Leaf compatibility update (not full support yet as some things have changed and need to located on the new Leaf).

Brilliant Turbo3, Thanks, Can't wait for the update!

Now, please ignore if I'm being a pain (nervous smile)...

Almost all of the owners of Nissan Leafs in New Zealand are driving second-hand imported Leafs from Japan. These are known as (JDM - Japanese Domestic Models) and we (or dealers) buy them on Japanese car auction sites when they are 2-5 years old and use them here.

Would it be possible to set the date/time from LeafSpy? or possibly the change the time offset from GPS to more than the maximum 60 minutes?

Our Leaf is a 2016 JDM 30X and the biggest challenge is working around the Japanese language dash and AV unit. The JDM models don't allow to change the language from Japanese so Google translate helps a lot. Also, in the 2016-2017 JDM models, there's no way to change the clock either. You can unplug the GPS aerial and "reboot" the car at midnight, but that seems to disable to the charge timers so we've been running on Japanese time. There are fixes for the earlier models, but I can't find any help on the 2016 onward models.

BTW, the ability to manage sounds via LeafSpy is MUCH easier than scrolling through the Japanese menus, plus the bonus "Slow Sound" silencing.

Cheers, David

I understood the SOH value to be one of the key easier to understand values, but mine is zero. Not sure what this means. I see the screenshot on the iTunes app store also has a value of zero. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.

What OBD2 dongle did you purchase? Sounds like the OBD2 dongle isn't communicating with the iPhone, so LeafSpy isn't pulling any real data.

tomgilman said:
I understood the SOH value to be one of the key easier to understand values, but mine is zero. Not sure what this means. I see the screenshot on the iTunes app store also has a value of zero. Any hints or suggestions are appreciated.
Take an ELM trace and send it to me. See bottom of help file for how to do it.

If you are testing on a 2018 Leaf you will need to use a test version to see SOH.

Hi,

I am a new LeafSpy Pro user and am having trouble connecting to my iPhone. Please would you let me know where I am going wrong?

I am using the OBD II wifi dongle below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507799161&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=obd+II+wifi+dongle+ios

I have used IP adress: 192.168.0.123
I have used Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Following the instructions I receive a yellow box in the bottom right corner and with the leaf turned on I receive the "Retry ELM 00" Error code. Note that the app connects to the dongle and WiFi_OBDII is visible at the bottom of the screen.

I left the connection open whilst driving to work, and the error changed to "Retry ELM 11".

Is there any obvious mistake that you are aware of that could cause this?

Many thanks,

Will

willmkz said:
Hi,

I am a new LeafSpy Pro user and am having trouble connecting to my iPhone. Please would you let me know where I am going wrong?

I am using the OBD II wifi dongle below:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pumpkin-Interface-Wireless-Diagnostic-Scanner/dp/B011O69946/ref=sr_1_fkmr2_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1507799161&sr=8-1-fkmr2&keywords=obd+II+wifi+dongle+ios

I have used IP adress: 192.168.0.123
I have used Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0

Following the instructions I receive a yellow box in the bottom right corner and with the leaf turned on I receive the "Retry ELM 00" Error code. Note that the app connects to the dongle and WiFi_OBDII is visible at the bottom of the screen.

I left the connection open whilst driving to work, and the error changed to "Retry ELM 11".

Is there any obvious mistake that you are aware of that could cause this?

Many thanks,

Will
When you get to state ELM 11 you have connected to the WiFi OBDII adapter but the adapter is not receiving data from the Leaf. This is normally because the Leaf in not on (dash gauges active) but since you were driving that is not the case. The leaves two other possibilities. One is the adapter does not support the needed commands and the other is a defective OBDII adapter. In either case I will need to see an ELM trace. For instructions on how to take an ELM trace see the bottom of the Help file. Send the trace (TRC_xxxx.txt) file to the contact address below.

Is anyone having issues with LeafSpy Pro, BLE OBD adapters, and iOS 11?

I have an LE Link BLE OBD adapter that has worked great for over a year.

I hadn't used LeafSpy for a week or two after updating my iPhone6 to iOS11. The next time that I tried to open LeafSpy, it's as if it doesn't attempt the BLE connection. (I see "WiFi NC" in yellow on the bottom right of the screen.)

Bluetooth is definitely enabled... I regularly stream audio via BT to my Leaf.

I suppose it's possible that my LE Link died around the same time that I upgraded to iOS11, but that's unlikely. (FWIW, the LE Link still lights up red.)

Any tips?

Thanks,

Jeff

A reset of my iPhone (hold down home and power) seemed to fix the problem.

Before that, I did try unplugging/replugging the adapter, which didn't help.

In any case, I'm back up and running again.

Thanks!

Jeff

Back