Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In my notes from the launch, I have that all trim levels of the new LEAF have an onboard 6.6kW charger.

For the S the additional charge options are a quick charge package that includes Quick Charger CHAdeMO (50 kW)
and the dual voltage L1/L2 EVSE and the incremental price is about $600.

On the SV and SL, the Quick Charger CHAdeMO (50 kW) and the dual voltage L1/L2 EVSE are standard.

LeftieBiker said:
dsh said:
Does anyone know if the 2018 LEAF will show Capacity Bars on it's Dash Display?

There is a battery icon with a cell phone type two-tone charge indicator and a % SOC above it. No individual bars, AFAIK.

I believe there is a display option to show capacity that I saw when I was exploring the display options on the dash display.

I'd like to know if the 2018 Leaf will have the self sealing tires like the Chevy Bolt has ? Michelin Self Sealing

The option packages for the new LEAF are few but pretty comprehensive.

For the S there are two packages:

Quick charge which includes Quick Charger CHAdeMO (50 kW)
and the dual voltage L1/L2 EVSE

Cold Weather which includes
F/R Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
RR Heater Ducts
Heated Mirrors

For the SV:
Cold Weather which includes
F/R Heated Seats
Heated Steering Wheel
RR Heater Ducts
Heated Mirrors

Technology package:
6-Way Power Driver Seat w 2-way lumbar
Interior Autodim mirror
Homelink
L1/L2 EVSE
LED Low and High Beam Headlights
Daytime Running Light
LED Signature
Blind Spot Warning (BSW)
Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA)
High Beam Assist
eParking Brake
ProPILOT
Pedestrian Forward Emergency Braking
Lane Departure Prevention

For the SL:
Technology package
High Beam Assist
eParking Brake
ProPILOT
Pedestrian Forward Emergency Braking
Lane Departure Prevention

At initial launch in January, some exterior and interior colors may not be available.

Does V2G or V2H require a special hardware module in the Leaf? The features description did not state it being a product option.
Will V2G or V2H be available for cars sold in the California market?

There is very little being written about this topic and the only thing I can find was that it will be first trialed in Detroit.

OrientExpress said:
In my notes from the launch, I have that all trim levels of the new LEAF have an onboard 6.6kW charger.

For the S the additional charge options are a quick charge package that includes Quick Charger CHAdeMO (50 kW)
and the dual voltage L1/L2 EVSE and the incremental price is about $600.

On the SV and SL, the Quick Charger CHAdeMO (50 kW) and the dual voltage L1/L2 EVSE are standard.

Watched the reveal live from Japan yesterday of the '18 LEAF.

I'm stunned at the amount of whining and crying from US LEAF owners (and others) about what they didn't get yesterday. Who exactly took away your birthday?:

I've heard ALL this bitching because you didn't get:

- Liquid battery cooling
- 60, 80, 100 Kwh battery
- 200, 300, 400, 500mi range
- completely new body
- It's not as good as a Tesla that costs $60k more than a LEAF
- It's not as good as a Chevy! Bolt that costs $5k more and has no charging infrastructure
- Nissan is a terrible company because X
- Nissan lied to us
- Nissan doesn't care about us
- Whatever

I guess my reaction is, give me a break. Nissan has sold some 210,000 LEAF units worldwide, market acceptance is a definition of success. Absolutely NOBODY is twisting your arm to buy another LEAF, so I'd really, really appreciate it if all the people who are SO unhappy with Nissan NOT meeting their every single need to actually go buy something else if that's what they want to do.

Maybe next year we'll get a 60kwh battery next year and get 200mi range, but if you're expecting a space shuttle, you ought to go buy a space shuttle guys and do not expect a $35k car to tuck your shirt in every morning and make you breakfast.

My $0.02

Leafabout said:
Since the generation 2 or 2018 battery pack fits in the same space, can I get this newer 400 km battery pack for my generation 1 Leaf?

Sorry, no. The connections are different, the firmware is different, the charger is different. Batteries stay with the generation of the car, Gen I, Gen II. Lizard batteries were different, but that's different.

Scaramanga said:
Leafabout said:
Since the generation 2 or 2018 battery pack fits in the same space, can I get this newer 400 km battery pack for my generation 1 Leaf?

Sorry, no. The connections are different, the firmware is different, the charger is different. Batteries stay with the generation of the car, Gen I, Gen II. Lizard batteries were different, but that's different.

In the end it's just a source of DC power. Connectors and even firmware can be modified or bypassed by 3rd-parties. There are people running Tesla drive-trains off of Nissan cells in Volkswagen chassis.

http://media3.ev-tv.me/news052617-iPhone.mp4

As the number of older EVs accumulates, at some point I'd expect a viable after-market solution for refreshing these cars.

It just won't be economical to do so, and speaking as a 30 year mechanic, the average idiot would set themselves on fire, or worse, someone else. You 'could' drop an LT series V8 in a Chrysler 300, but people don't because it'd cost s fortune and it's cheaper to just get a good car.

This question is going to be very important to those of us who are howling about the inexcusable lack of a reduced charge limit setting:

* Can the new version of the Nissan Connect app stop charging remotely, as well as start it?

mxp said:
Does V2G or V2H require a special hardware module in the Leaf? The features description did not state it being a product option.
Will V2G or V2H be available for cars sold in the California market?

There is very little being written about this topic and the only thing I can find was that it will be first trialed in Detroit.

I too am interested in this instead of adding the Tesla Powerwall 2 and leverage my EV to do this.

Ran into Nuvve and they are doing V2G already in Denmark and Torrance and now in UCSD pilot pending. Wondering if anyone been able to get a V2H solution going.

montreid said:
Wondering if anyone been able to get a V2H solution going.
http://www.nichicon.co.jp/english/product_news/new124.html was shown LONG ago. Apparently, at least some people use it in Japan. There was a guy in Japan on a Leaf FB group that lost 4 capacity bars within the capacity warranty. I was surprised and he mentioned he used a V2H solution, possibly that one.

I also saw and took pictures of this box intended I think for emergencies (draws power from Leaf via CHAdeMO port) and outputs 100 volts AC (household voltage there) when I was in the Nissan HQ lobby in Yokohama in Nov 2015. I believe at the top is the price of 298,000 yen. Right now, that'd be about $2723 USD.
12188916_10154289444992542_7148961372696655233_n.jpg12208264_10154289444967542_1369923209611452534_n.jpg
Honda has a similar box for their Clarity FCEV. I saw the vehicle and box pictured at https://longtailpipe.com/2015/10/29/honda-shows-next-years-clarity-fuel-cell-car-with-power-export-via-chademo-port/ at Tokyo Motor Show around the same time that year.

At around 2:20 of https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQBupeHVJwA, the '18 Leaf Chief Vehicle Engineer said he believes as a result of the previous (currently available Leaf), about 7000 customers already installed the V2H system, including him.

Yeah, seen those and Honda's option for Japan, and a concept one Nissan did powering a concert. Just haven't seen a Nichicon actually on the state side.

Don't know why mild daily cycling of 10kw in V2H application would be anymore draining on battery than driving an additional 40miles.

eg: 100mi battery - drive 40miles and return home with 60% battery left -- plug in and V2H support another 10kw (40mi) leaving 20miles on the battery left. Charge overnight and repeat next day.

This is essentially what we do now with our Spark and Fiat. I presume that's what many Leaf owners do and don't suffer from battery degradation.

montreid said:
Don't know why mild daily cycling of 10kw in V2H application would be anymore draining on battery than driving an additional 40miles.

eg: 100mi battery - drive 40miles and return home with 60% battery left -- plug in and V2H support another 10kw (40mi) leaving 20miles on the battery left. Charge overnight and repeat next day.

This is essentially what we do now with our Spark and Fiat. I presume that's what many Leaf owners do and don't suffer from battery degradation.
I think you meant kWh for the units, not "kw".

Well, you're putting on extra unnecessary cycles and heating the battery (or keeping it warm) by the charging and discharging vs. letting it cool.

Leaf's battery has no thermal management.

If you search thru TalyorSFGuy's posts, he had a 130 mile/day commute, charging fully on both ends. http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=20275&p=431911 has him down 5 bars by 141K miles in a mild climate ideal for the Leaf. I suspect many others in the PNW who have the same age of Leaf that didn't put on as many miles (and thus as many cycles) had less capacity loss.

I have a guess: no air cooling. The Leaf's pack does get cooled when the car is moving and the air temp is below the pack temp. That wouldn't happen with a stationary car.

Ah, that would make sense; forgot about the lack of thermal management. The question is how much heat does a pull at 3.5kwH generate? That's the amount that is usually being drawn. It can't be that much as both our Spark and Fiat don't turn appear to turn on any circulation system when charging at Level 2.

My hope is that the batteries are better now; and especially with Leaf 2.0 coming online and future LG batteries in the 60 KwH battery.

Back