2018 LEAF Drive Review

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LeftieBiker said:
This follows GM in not requiring you to pay for an EVSE unless you need one and is welcome news.

GM includes an L-1/L-2-capable EVSE for free with the Bolt. Their listing for an EVSE is for those wanting a second unit. It appears that Nissan will no longer be giving us a free EVSE unless we buy an SL. We will have to pay for the Charge or Tech Package to get one.

Well, that is certainly one way to look at it, but the intent is to keep the price as low as possible and let those that want an EVSE to pay for one and those that don't, not have to pay for something that is going to sit in the attic.

alozzy said:
@OrientExpress
The 6.6 kW OBC is standard on all trim levels

How are you certain that the 6.6 kW charger is standard on all trim levels? @cwerdna pointed out several places on nissanusa.com that seems to contradict that...

Hope you are right though ;)

The trim level content list (under POWER/EV Unique Items) for the S trim calls out the 6.6kW OBC as standard.

Well I saw what Andrew posted and the reference was to the fast charge port.

I think we need to focus on the fact that the S fast charge option does not mention L2 charging speed which likely means it's part of the standard package. We did not have an S to look at in Vegas

cwerdna said:
In your blog entry, you wrote
DaveinOlyWA said:
6.6 KW charging for all! (If you have the proper level 2 EVSE) This is the first year Nissan will be providing a dual power EVSE charging at 120 volts (likely at 12 amps) or 240 volts (will provide the full 6.6 KW or 27.5 amps meaning a 40 amp service will be needed) but its only standard on the SL trim. You must have the charge package on the S trim to get it or the tech package on the SV to get it.
At https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2018-nissan-leaf-29-990-40kwh-battery.95874/page-10#post-2296901, it's been pointed out to me that 6.6 kW OBC on all trims may not be true.

Not sure if Zaxxon over there is right or if there's some issue with https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/. What he points out is still there today.

If we don't know by this Thursday, 9/14, I'll be asking that question to the Nissan corporate rep at a Sunnyvale EVent that evening.
So, I just returned from the Sunnyvale EVent.

In the marketing guy's (Brian, he's from corporate based in Franklin, TN) slides, it specifically mentions 6.6 kW OBC even on the S trim. I confirmed w/him verbally afterward that all trims, even base S would include 6.6 kW OBC.

I also asked him afterward if the versions w/o the 120/240 volt EVSE would still include a 120 volt L1 EVSE. He said yes. In his presentation, he also mentioned the parts depts would also stock the dual voltage EVSE.

He did have an entry for the model year 2019 Leaf which he said would have 225+ miles of range. I asked if he could comment model year or calendar year. Model year was all he could say on that.

One interesting slide he had up, which I should've taken a pic of was comparing the 2018 base Leaf with a few other competitors (Ioniq Electric, e-Golf and Focus Electric). They all cost within $500 to $1K of 2018 S but had less range, around 115 - 124 miles on EPA test and all of them had less hp (or kW) than the Leaf.

The slide also had entries for Bolt, Model 3 and lastly, the greater range MY 2019 Leaf w/price TBD.

He also confirmed that one of the screen choices on the left LCD is a digital speedometer.

There was the question about whether e-Pedal would use friction brakes to slow down if the battery was already very full (e.g. near 100%). The answer was yes. :/ Question: Is there a setting to charge to a lower level than 100%? Answer: No. :(

The vehicle on display looked like a fully loaded 1 w/CHAdeMO, I think the ProPilot (blue) button), leather and power driver's seat. I recall seeing a camera at the top of the windshield near the mirror. The VIN started with a 1, so it was built in the US, not Japan.

The turnout was big and it was weird to have a long line to get into a Nissan building. A big thank you to Nissan for hosting the event and bringing a 2018 Leaf!

cwerdna said:

The vehicle on display looked like a fully loaded 1 w/CHAdeMO, I think the ProPilot (blue) button), leather and power driver's seat. I recall seeing a camera at the top of the windshield near the mirror. The VIN started with a 1, so it was built in the US, not Japan.

The turnout was big and it was weird to have a long line to get into a Nissan building. A big thank you to Nissan for hosting the event and bringing a 2018 Leaf!
Thanks for following up on the questions! So... how did it look "in the metal"? What did you think?

cwerdna said:
In the marketing guy's (Brian, he's from corporate based in Franklin, TN) slides, it specifically mentions 6.6 kW OBC even on the S trim. I confirmed w/him verbally afterward that all trims, even base S would include 6.6 kW OBC.

I also asked him afterward if the versions w/o the 120/240 volt EVSE would still include a 120 volt L1 EVSE. He said yes. In his presentation, he also mentioned the parts depts would also stock the dual voltage EVSE.

He did have an entry for the model year 2019 Leaf which he said would have 225+ miles of range. I asked if he could comment model year or calendar year. Model year was all he could say on that.

One interesting slide he had up, which I should've taken a pic of was comparing the 2018 base Leaf with a few other competitors (Ioniq Electric, e-Golf and Focus Electric). They all cost within $500 to $1K of 2018 S but had less range, around 115 - 124 miles on EPA test and all of them had less hp (or kW) than the Leaf.

The slide also had entries for Bolt, Model 3 and lastly, the greater range MY 2019 Leaf w/price TBD.

He also confirmed that one of the screen choices on the left LCD is a digital speedometer.

There was the question about whether e-Pedal would use friction brakes to slow down if the battery was already very full (e.g. near 100%). The answer was yes. :/ Question: Is there a setting to charge to a lower level than 100%? Answer: No. :(

It's good to hear that Brian reiterated everything that I had posted. :D

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
In your blog entry, you wrote
DaveinOlyWA said:
6.6 KW charging for all! (If you have the proper level 2 EVSE) This is the first year Nissan will be providing a dual power EVSE charging at 120 volts (likely at 12 amps) or 240 volts (will provide the full 6.6 KW or 27.5 amps meaning a 40 amp service will be needed) but its only standard on the SL trim. You must have the charge package on the S trim to get it or the tech package on the SV to get it.
At https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2018-nissan-leaf-29-990-40kwh-battery.95874/page-10#post-2296901, it's been pointed out to me that 6.6 kW OBC on all trims may not be true.

Not sure if Zaxxon over there is right or if there's some issue with https://www.nissanusa.com/electric-cars/2018-leaf/. What he points out is still there today.

If we don't know by this Thursday, 9/14, I'll be asking that question to the Nissan corporate rep at a Sunnyvale EVent that evening.

Thanks for the update. At least the 2019 Leaf will have a slightly longer range than the base Tesla Model 3.

It will come with the faster 100 kW Chademo, right but for home charging, it will be like the rest with 6.6?

Thanks for the detailed trip report, cwerdna!
cwerdna said:
Question: Is there a setting to charge to a lower level than 100%? Answer: No. :(
Truly, we have the US EPA to thank for this. Nissan originally provided this option and the EPA "rewarded" them by giving the car a lower EPA range rating. So Nissan solved the problem by eliminating that option.

RegGuheert said:
cwerdna said:
Question: Is there a setting to charge to a lower level than 100%? Answer: No. :(
Truly, we have the US EPA to thank for this. Nissan originally provided this option and the EPA "rewarded" them by giving the car a lower EPA range rating. So Nissan solved the problem by eliminating that option.

True. BUT there are other solutions to this problem that are much more user friendly. Tesla provides a slider for a user-defined charge level. Chevy (Bolt) provides a "hilltop" mode to stop at 90% (nominally to preserve regen when you live on top of a hill). Neither of these are penalized by the EPA.

Surely by 2018 Nissan could have come up with their own flavor of a solution.

internalaudit said:
Thanks for the update. At least the 2019 Leaf will have a slightly longer range than the base Tesla Model 3.

It will come with the faster 100 kW Chademo, right but for home charging, it will be like the rest with 6.6?

Keeping 6.6 for 2019 would be a surprise. I would have to predict a bump to the next level 9.6 KW maybe.

DaveinOlyWA said:
internalaudit said:

Keeping 6.6 for 2019 would be a surprise. I would have to predict a bump to the next level 9.6 KW maybe.

6.6kW wouldn't surprise me at all, why would it surprise you? Nissan is trying to keep costs down, not be on the cutting edge of specs. 6.6kW can charge a 60kWh battery from empty-full in 10 hours or so (with overhead). IMO, the 100kW fast charging is much more important than going to 9.6kW AC.

GetOffYourGas said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
internalaudit said:

6.6kW wouldn't surprise me at all, why would it surprise you? Nissan is trying to keep costs down, not be on the cutting edge of specs. 6.6kW can charge a 60kWh battery from empty-full in 10 hours or so (with overhead). IMO, the 100kW fast charging is much more important than going to 9.6kW AC.

+1, I agree. I don't see that changing or needing to change.

Funny thing is if you don't plug the Tesla cord all the way in it will still charge at about 4.4kw and let you know. There is temp monitoring on the handle and even on the light on the charge port that is reported back to the car. There is SOO much data and unseen feedback on the car it's amazing, down to every option and feature and even the maker of the steering column.

jhm614 said:
cwerdna said:

Thanks for following up on the questions! So... how did it look "in the metal"? What did you think?
It looked good on the outside, although the hood was up for fair amount of the time. I was the first to open it. :)

Overall, I'd say the car is a big improvement in styling. I was a bit surprised by the some of the sharp corners at the fenders (towards the back where the headlights end) which you can really notice when the hood's up.

I didn't touch all that much of the plastics on top of/around the dash, but it does still seem to have mostly hard plastics. There weren't as many buttons and switches on the left side. Not sure how you configure the charging lock. I haven't watched a video that someone (possibly OrientExpress) took of all the screens for the dash color LCD as I wasn't that interested.

Headroom in the rear seemed like it could be tight for tall people. Haven't compared with mine.

One step back was during a someone asking a question (which I didn't hear too clearly), it sounds like you cannot get rear heated seats at all on the 2018.

I hope I get to see the L1/L2 EVSE w/that giant adapter on Saturday.

One step back was during a someone asking a question (which I didn't hear too clearly), it sounds like you cannot get rear heated seats at all on the 2018.

They probably come standard on the SL, and can't be gotten with the other models. Nissan is still looking for ways to force the SL on buyers.

They have a couple at the Altcar Expo Saturday and Sunday in Santa Monica, CA that you can play with (but, of course, not drive)... In the flesh it struck me as pleasant but not overtly attractive, but I'm definitely not a fan of the new dashboard...

DaveinOlyWA said:
6.6 kW will remain the std for sometime. Most of the existing infrastructure only supports 32 amps - public charging & home charging.

I have been thinking I wish I could charge at home at 12 or more, but I think that because we often are running a lot in the Leaf and we plug it in as soon as we get home and then leave again 30 minutes later (running kids all over the place) barely having enough range to make it there and back, even starting at 100% in the am, we have at least 3 days a week over 120 miles. So I think being able to charge twice as fast would help out a lot, BUT the catch is if we had a 40 kWh pack we wouldn't need to be charging between runs, we would have enough capacity to just drive one of our busy days without even charging. Another plus is we would likely only have to charge at low rates (8p to 7a at $.0607 / kwh). Although right now during the day we charge with a smaller evse set to 12a at 240vac and charge from our PV system, often pulling from the 24 kWh lead acid bank.

So I believe a larger battery would reduce the need for a larger on board charger.

evnow said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
6.6 kW will remain the std for sometime. Most of the existing infrastructure only supports 32 amps - public charging & home charging.
Still, 32a is almost 20% faster than the 27.5a of our current Leafs. I'm all for faster L2 charging, if your EVSE is less than the maximum, it will simply charge at the lower charging rate. 32a(@240v) will give you 7.68kw, IMO a nice jump from our 6.6kw Leafs. 9.6kw would maximize a 50a 14-50 outlet(40a draw) and give one 45% faster charging, nice indeed.

Back