Post your questions about the '18 LEAF 2 reveal here

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
still a bunch (more now!) of batteries in a sealed box? Still no REAL fast charging network? No deal Nissan. Not fooling anyone.

C'mon you were supposed to improve things. "Let's just make it look 'nicer' and put in more range". And please tell us more about 100Kw charging that doesn't exist at all. Not competitive. Unless you were needing to hold onto that 3 year lease crowd...

finman100 said:
still a bunch (more now!) of batteries in a sealed box?...
No, same battery architecture, but more Wh to each cell, with only a slight weight increase.

A good battery design, improved.

It would be a real positive, IMO, if Nissan ever allows its use in Gen one LEAFs.

Yeah, but there's obviously a higher density of cells within the same volume as the 30 kWh pack, so that doesn't bode well for heat dissipation in hotter climates, if Nissan has done nothing to improve passive cooling.

I'm not saying that's the case, but it sure would be nice if Nissan would provide some technical details so prospective buyers can have some confidence that their Leaf battery packs aren't going to have premature degradation. If I was considering a new EV purchase and I lived in Arizona, Texas, or even So Cal, I would be very hesitant to purchase a 2018 Leaf without some good technical explanations from Nissan why things will be different this time around.

alozzy said:
Yeah, but there's obviously a higher density of cells within the same volume as the 30 kWh pack, so that doesn't bode well for heat dissipation in hotter climates, if Nissan has done nothing to improve passive cooling.

I'm not saying that's the case, but it sure would be nice if Nissan would provide some technical details so prospective buyers can have some confidence that their Leaf battery packs aren't going to have premature degradation. If I was considering a new EV purchase and I lived in Arizona, Texas, or even So Cal, I would be very hesitant to purchase a 2018 Leaf without some good technical explanations from Nissan why things will be different this time around.

All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal. :p

edatoakrun said:
Official efficiency/range ratings (Monroney sticker #s) for all variants?

Production/sales goals, USA and World-wide?

Any promotional offers (hint) for current USA LEAF owners?
Nissan targets new Leaf global sales of more than 90,000 a year
http://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-nissan-ev-target/nissan-targets-new-leaf-global-sales-of-more-than-90000-a-year-idUKKCN1BH0E0?feedType=RSS&feedName=topNews&utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Reuters%2FUKTopNews+%28News+%2F+UK+%2F+Top+News%29

So, only ~40k sales in the USA?

Both figures disappointing, IMO, unless Nissan is deliberately setting the bar low, to prevent falling short of predictions, as it did with Gen one sales.

Slightly more optimistic:

Nissan Motor Co. is aiming to more than double annual deliveries of the Leaf with a new model that offers self parking and longer driving range, seeking to fend off Tesla Inc.’s entry into the affordable electric-vehicle market...

The Yokohama-based automaker sold 49,000 Leafs in 2016...
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-09-06/nissan-sees-doubling-sales-for-self-parking-longer-range-leaf

edatoakrun said:
edatoakrun said:
So, only ~40k sales in the USA?

Both figures disappointing, IMO, unless Nissan is deliberately setting the bar low, to prevent falling short of predictions, as it did with Gen one sales.
US sales accounted for 40% of the LEAF world total in 2015
30% of the total in 2016

Disappointing, but expected.
The LEAF2 might have a future in Japan and Europe.

@Nubo
All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal

Can you explain the physics of that, I'm curious. I'm assuming the voltage of the individuals cells is the same in a 30 kWh pack vs a 40 kWh pack (nominally 3.6V). So, more energy density is achieved by packing more individual cells in to the same amount of space.

Or are you saying that the chemistry has been fundamentally changed so that the same sized cell has a higher mAh rating, so the number of cells is roughly the same?

Hey! I'm here too at the Aria :)

Test drove it this morning.

I really liked it. Love the ePedal and AutoSteer. Ride felt firmer too. I chirped the tires a few times.

Here's the test drive I went on (David Laur) driving first.

https://youtu.be/ncHybhwvxY4

OrientExpress said:
I'm at the US '18 LEAF reveal and first drive today and tomorrow in Las Vegas. This event is concurrent with the Japan reveal.

Post your questions about the car here and I'll try to get answers for you from the Nissan product folks. If you want specific photos of parts of the car let me know that as well

Photos and videos will be up starting Wednesday evening.

OrientExpress said:
Oils4AsphaultOnly said:
Is there a charge limiter with leaf 2? I miss it very much on my 2016. :(

No crank starter, mechanical speedometer or charging limiter.

Stop trying to spin it. They once again force us to limit charging by manually unplugging the car and counting hours, to avoid having it sit at 100%. You know, I'm going to test drive a Bolt, and if the seats are by some miracle comfortable for me, I'll get whichever car has the better lease deal, probably meaning the Bolt. I'm tired of Nissan screwing up obvious things despite our input, and essentially telling us to live with them.

alozzy said:
@Nubo
All else being equal, a higher capacity battery should produce less heat per unit of work. But of course rarely is all else equal

Can you explain the physics of that, I'm curious. I'm assuming the voltage of the individuals cells is the same in a 30 kWh pack vs a 40 kWh pack (nominally 3.6V). So, more energy density is achieved by packing more individual cells in to the same amount of space.

Or are you saying that the chemistry has been fundamentally changed so that the same sized cell has a higher mAh rating, so the number of cells is roughly the same?

Current is expressed in terms of "C", where C is the amp-hours expressed as a rate in amps. A 50amp-hour battery supply 50 amps is said to be discharging at 1C. If it supplies 100 amps, then it's discharging at 2C. Charging is also expressed in terms of those rates. Heat generation is generally proportional to the C rate, and the manufacturer will specify maximum C rates, both short-term and sustained, charging and discharging, that the battery can be subjected to. This is mostly an expression of heat-generation.

A 100 amp-hour battery delivering (or charging at) 100 amps is only working at 1C as opposed to the 50 amp-hour battery at 100 amps, which is 2C. The 50 amp-hour battery is working much harder and will generate more heat, assuming equivalent chemistries, etc... For further info, look up "intercalation" in lithium-ion batteries.

Does anyone know if the 2018 LEAF will show Capacity Bars on it's Battery Capacity level gauge?

Nubo said:
alozzy said:
@Nubo

Current is expressed in terms of "C", where C is the amp-hours expressed as a rate in amps. A 50amp-hour battery supply 50 amps is said to be discharging at 1C. If it supplies 100 amps, then it's discharging at 2C. Charging is also expressed in terms of those rates. Heat generation is generally proportional to the C rate, and the manufacturer will specify maximum C rates, both short-term and sustained, charging and discharging, that the battery can be subjected to. This is mostly an expression of heat-generation.

A 100 amp-hour battery delivering (or charging at) 100 amps is only working at 1C as opposed to the 50 amp-hour battery at 100 amps, which is 2C. The 50 amp-hour battery is working much harder and will generate more heat, assuming equivalent chemistries, etc... For further info, look up "intercalation" in lithium-ion batteries.
The effect you are describing is noticeable to a person without instruments at high C rates, not between one and two C. At current DCFC rates the heat generation will be proportional to kWh into the battery until the SoC is over ~ 50%. The temperature increase will be less in the 40 kWh battery due to increased heat capacity, but the heat will dissipate proportional to Newton's law and the unchanged battery surface area.

Try this: take a 30 mile drive for 30 miles at 30 mph and then at 60 mph. Correct for air friction and tell us if you can find increased battery consumption per mile.

Or this: From a low SoC (say, below 30) charge 10 kWh or up to say 60% into the battery on a > 6 kW L2 or DCFC. Compare the two wall kWh used.

co2112 said:
All Leafs have a 6.6-kW onboard charger that allows charging at Level 2 (J1772) in about eight hour
I had to Google to find the above quote at http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2018-nissan-leaf-photos-and-information-news. I was hoping for official confirmation as there's been confusion elsewhere.

Back