Disable VSP sound by software

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those of you trying to get the IOS app to disable vsp sounds, you need enable the service menu in options and let leafspy sit connected for awhile after you turn the car on. I was struggling to get the options to become available on the vsp screen with "turn leaf on" message at top restarting the car/leafspy/odb adapter. Turns out all I had to do was wait 2 minutes... :lol:

Sounds disabled successfully on 2016 leaf, THANK YOU!!!

Is this coming to Amazon app store still? I can't wait to disable the sounds, almost worth paying for the app again on Google play but my phone and obd2 adapter don't seem to work together.
Thanks!

Has the ability to disable VSP been included in the latest build available on Google Play (Android)?

If so, I can't find the setting in Leaf Spy Pro. How do I access those settings? I've enabled the Service menu and made sure that the Leaf is in run mode, but I still don't see any VSP settings...

Works great on my 2013 Leaf S. I had a hard time finding an ELM327 bluetooth adapter running version 1.5 though. Looks like most of them sold as V1.5 are actually V2.1. I had to send the one I ordered back, and from my research I'm not the only one. I finally went with the Veepeak Mini OBD 2 Diagnostic Scanner from Amazon: https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00WPW6BAE/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Very pleased in how easy it was to set up. Your app launched my wireless settings, clicked on the WiFi_OBD2 wireless adapter, set a password and boom! It connected right away to my S7. I am very happy with the app and my Leaf is now silent save for the charging sounds. I hope none of my neighbours were using my backup beeper as an alarm clock! Thanks!

Ian

I followed Eyedrop's directions:

"1. Bought Leafspy Pro from Play store. Scrolled to bottom, signed up for beta testing. Waited 10 minutes. Refreshed the LeafSpy Pro listing in google play store. An update appeared, which I installed .

2. I then opened LeafSpy, went into the settings (three little bars on upper right hand corner), and made sure the "service screen" was checkmarked. Clicked the back button on my phone, which brought me to the blue service screen.
"

Wolfie said:
I followed Eyedrop's directions:

"1. Bought Leafspy Pro from Play store. Scrolled to bottom, signed up for beta testing. Waited 10 minutes. Refreshed the LeafSpy Pro listing in google play store. An update appeared, which I installed .

2. I then opened LeafSpy, went into the settings (three little bars on upper right hand corner), and made sure the "service screen" was checkmarked. Clicked the back button on my phone, which brought me to the blue service screen.
"

I had no idea about this screen. And you know, I was super excited to see I can change the car to unlock doors when I put it in park.

What is Drive Start Sound? I assume Drive Sound is the "space ship"/ whirring noise at low speeds

Turbo3 said:
LeafSpy Pro Android version 0.40.101 with VSP support has just been uploaded to Google's PlayStore.
0.40.101 update from google play store successfully removed drive and backup sounds
I re enabled them to verify retrieval with 100% success.
Very easy to do, thanks Jim
OT : Just one request , any chance you can substitute the drive sound with one that sounds like a pack of hungry wolves?
I hit a deer last week (minor damage to the side of the car and deer walked away) thank you Nissan for emergency brake assist.

Turbo3 said:
The VSP version of LeafSpy Pro is now available on Amazon.

I just want to say that I've been waiting for this for years. I have a 2013 with the annoying beeps and this LeafSpry Pro update has cured it. I drove last night and this morning with the windows down just so I could hear.... nothing :D

Thank you andrik, Turbo3 and anyone else deserving credit for this!

JR

Turbo3 said:
The VSP version of LeafSpy Pro is now available on Amazon.

Whoops, should have checked again before I purchased on play store. Oh well, amazon underground behaved weird on my phone anyway.
Totally worth buying the app twice to enjoy the sounds of silence. Worked great on my 2015! Thanks!!

Fantastic. My neighbors will be so happy - I'm sure they don't enjoy hearing my electric garbage truck backing out at 2am all the time.

Are the settings remembered across vehicle starts, or do you need to keep the OBDII adapter + LeafSpyPro connected to set it on each start?

Can I connect them up once, set it, and then keep the OBDII adapter unplugged from then on? I drive my Leaf irregularly so I prefer not to have the OBDII adapter connected and vampire draining all the time.

ltbighorn said:
Fantastic. My neighbors will be so happy - I'm sure they don't enjoy hearing my electric garbage truck backing out at 2am all the time.

Are the settings remembered across vehicle starts, or do you need to keep the OBDII adapter + LeafSpyPro connected to set it on each start?

Can I connect them up once, set it, and then keep the OBDII adapter unplugged from then on? I drive my Leaf irregularly so I prefer not to have the OBDII adapter connected and vampire draining all the time.
The adapter I use has an on off switch and the settings keep the same whether it is on or off.

ElectricEddy said:
ltbighorn said:

The adapter I use has an on off switch and the settings keep the same whether it is on or off.

Awesome, thanks. The settings are saved as expected.

FWIW, I picked up a $12.59 Foseal Bluetooth OBDII adapter on 9/5/2017 ( https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00T5G53ZM/ref=od_aui_detailpages00?ie=UTF8&psc=1) and it worked fine with LeafSpy, shows as ELM327 1.5. Not the new Bluetooth LE kind, but a good deal cheaper than the LE one I saw.

silverone said:
LeftieBiker said:
Anyone who disables the factory backup beeping is risking injuring someone, and also risking a lawsuit if it happens. Lowering the volume somewhat would seem to be a better idea.

There is no US regulation requiring the reverse beeper, and other domestic EVs like the Volt don't have it.

The relevant OSHA regulation is 29 CFR Part 1926.601(b)(4) which requires "a reverse signal alarm audible above surrounding noise level", but only when the motor vehicle has "an obstructed view to the rear". The determination of the noise level is left to the employer. However, because equipment is moved from place to place, the loudest alarms are often selected.

They may not be mandated by law, but they do exist on LEAF as safety features. Intentionally disabling them could constitute reckless endangerment, or worse, imho.

Back