Good-faith battery replacement

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Supersleeper

Hi Folks,

What a deal! A new car for $6500. Basically bought it used ( 1-owner 2011 SL @58k) for for $4200 in really good shape with 8 bars. Didn't do the title transfer yet, then talked to Nissan, then the original owner was willing to meet me at Nissan service and get me all set for the good faith lizard battery swap. $2100 for the battery (24KWh) and $199 for the TCU. Couldn't get higher KWh, but I tried ;).

So if you have a 2011-2012 with 8 bars or less, talk to the dealer. Worth the $$. They are paying 1/2 the price of the new battery. The service tech said the new batteries don't have anywhere near the same degradation as 2011-2012 originals.

I would like to hear more stories like this. Has anyone else gotten some goodwill from Nissan? We should start a thread to document stories like yours.

I think they are better in GA, which admittedly is not as hot as AZ. I have a 2015 (so the lizard battery) with almost 29k miles and still have all 12 bars. We frequently charge to 100%, no babying the battery.

Evoforce said:
The Lizard batteries are not better for us in AZ. But at least you have a new battery for much less cost!

Actually, it depends upon your use. My 2015 with "lizard" battery still has 11 bars after 30 months and 45,000 miles. With similar driving conditions, my 2011 was down to 8 bars at a little over 2 years and 30,000 miles. The battery was replaced at 28 months and the replacement (original type from Japan) was down to 11 bars when the collision occurred at 42 months and 50,000 miles. I always charge to 100% using L2 at home at night and use QC when necessary for extra driving during the day.

Back