Is 96% SoH possible with 11,000 miles?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hwijegun

Hi guys,

First post here. I'll try to keep this short. Thanks in advance for any comments on this.

I'm planning on buying a used 2014 Nissan Leaf Accenta with 11,000 miles on it. I've scanned the car with the LeafSpy app and the screenshots are attached below.

My question is if it is possible for a car with 11,000 miles to have an SoH of 96%. Also the voltage is at a 361.16V which is lower than the other cars I've scanned (This car has been parked at a dealership for almost 2 years now). Is this going to be a problem?

Please let me know if any of you have any idea on this. Thanks again. Cheers!

P.S : Is there any way to clarify if this car has the new lizard battery or not?
Screenshot_2017_07_20_10_19_23_590_com_Turbo3_Leaf_Spy_Lite.jpg

Screenshot_2017_07_20_10_19_26_294_com_Turbo3_Leaf_Spy_Lite.png

Assuming the car was kept in one of the cooler parts of Europe it's quite possible it has that SOH. There are still a few 2013 Leafs with SOH in that vicinity. It very likely does NOT have the Lizard Pack, but does have the improved pack installed beginning in mid 2013. I'm not sure of the exact timing in Europe, but I'm fairly sure that by 2014 all Leafs everywhere had the improved chemistry.

LeftieBiker said:
Assuming the car was kept in one of the cooler parts of Europe it's quite possible it has that SOH. There are still a few 2013 Leafs with SOH in that vicinity. It very likely does NOT have the Lizard Pack, but does have the improved pack installed beginning in mid 2013. I'm not sure of the exact timing in Europe, but I'm fairly sure that by 2014 all Leafs everywhere had the improved chemistry.
Hi, Thanks for the reply. This makes sense given that the car was used in Gateshed, UK. Its too bad that it doesn't have the Lizard Battery. Should I be concerned about this as I'm buying this car to use in Sri Lanka which is a tropical country with fairly warm climates around the year?

Also what's your take on the lower battery voltage? Like I said its at a 360V compared to the 380-390v the other cars I scanned had? Thanks again :)

cwerdna said:
The car is very low on charge per the low SOC, so of course the voltage will be low.
Ohh I wasn't aware that there was a correlation between the two. I will redo the scan after a full charge and check again. Thanks a lot!

Should I be concerned about this as I'm buying this car to use in Sri Lanka which is a tropical country with fairly warm climates around the year?

Yes, you should. But even the Lizard pack wouldn't hold up extremely well in Sri Lanka. Unless you'll have modest range needs there, a Leaf probably isn't a good choice. And yes on the low voltage: lithium batteries don't drop voltage as fast as other battery types as charge is used, but the voltage still drops. My Vectrix with Leaf cells has a voltage range from 131 or less to about 142 volts, depending on SOC.

LeftieBiker said:
Should I be concerned about this as I'm buying this car to use in Sri Lanka which is a tropical country with fairly warm climates around the year?

Yes, you should. But even the Lizard pack wouldn't hold up extremely well in Sri Lanka. Unless you'll have modest range needs there, a Leaf probably isn't a good choice. And yes on the low voltage: lithium batteries don't drop voltage as fast as other battery types as charge is used, but the voltage still drops. My Vectrix with Leaf cells has a voltage range from 131 or less to about 142 volts, depending on SOC.
That's true. But I guess it all burns down to how you use the car (Eg; how often you quick charge etc.) Cause I have a friend who has used his 2015 Nissan Leaf for around 6,000 miles now with zero degradation to the battery in terms of SoH (In Sri Lanka). But since its 2015 I'm assuming that his car has the lizard pack. My concern is if my degradation will be much severe compared to his if my car has a non-lizard pack :/

You might want to consider other EVs that have thermal management systems (TMS) for better cooling.

I would research the Renault Zoe, VW e-Up!, Kia Soul EV, and VM e-Golf to see which, if any, have a TMS for keeping the pack cool in hot climates. I'm not very familiar with any of those cars, but perhaps someone else here knows for sure if any do...

alozzy said:
You might want to consider other EVs that have thermal management systems (TMS) for better cooling.

I would research the Renault Zoe, VW e-Up!, Kia Soul EV, and VM e-Golf to see which, if any, have a TMS for keeping the pack cool in hot climates. I'm not very familiar with any of those cars, but perhaps someone else here knows for sure if any do...
VW e-Golf AFAIK still has no battery cooling. http://insideevs.com/volkswagen-follows-nissan-decides-wo-go-air-cooling-e-golf/ had their announcement from long ago.

alozzy said:

Living in a developing country we only have access to a very little number of brands. The Zoe and the e-Golf are not available here. and even the nissan leaf doesn't have proper battery replacement or official dealers. So my hands are kind of tied :p

My confusion is because you mentioned you were importing a Leaf from the UK, so I was suggesting EVs that are available in the UK.

FWIW, my 2014 Leaf SV purchased in April at 8,700 miles was still showing 100% SOH. It soon dropped to the low 90's SOH. I ran into a chap on Facebook we said the slow driving was killing my battery. Keeping a log as I experiment with pulse driving to juice my battery. I do not have QC on my car, only L2 charging. After two pulsing sessions LeafSpy is reporting 66.86 AHr, 100% SOH and 104.18 Hx. I'm at 12,255 miles.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pYP5BtN4gR25AMBLCy4rDQil8/edit#gid=2075187567

See this thread for more details: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24061&start=20

alozzy said:
My confusion is because you mentioned you were importing a Leaf from the UK, so I was suggesting EVs that are available in the UK.
Ohh sorry for the confusion. Its a car that has been already imported from the UK and is at a sale in Sri Lanka now. Also I scanned it again after a quick run of around 10km and the battery SoH dropped to 94% from 96% which got me worried now. But I guess this is to be expected since its been sitting there for so long right?

jim0266 said:
FWIW, my 2014 Leaf SV purchased in April at 8,700 miles was still showing 100% SOH. It soon dropped to the low 90's SOH. I ran into a chap on Facebook we said the slow driving was killing my battery. Keeping a log as I experiment with pulse driving to juice my battery. I do not have QC on my car, only L2 charging. After two pulsing sessions LeafSpy is reporting 66.86 AHr, 100% SOH and 104.18 Hx. I'm at 12,255 miles.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...pYP5BtN4gR25AMBLCy4rDQil8/edit#gid=2075187567

See this thread for more details: http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=24061&start=20
Hi, Thank you for your reply! What is this pulse driving and how do I achieve it to maximize my SoH?

I drive in Eco > B mode when trying to juice my battery pack. There is a nice 10 mile stretch of 2-lane road near my house that is flat and lets me get the car up to 50-60mph then let off the accel pedal. I watch the energy regen screen. In B mode it hits .30. Once it drops below that I accel back to 50-60 mph trying to get at least 5-6 bubbles or max it out. Then let off and repeat the cycle. For each pulse cycle I got back .01 Hx. 100 cycles to get back 1% of Hx in general. You can watch the Hx numbers rise in real time via LeafSpy. Once you reach 32% SOC this is where the trick stops working. When my SOH/Hx numbers fall into the mid 90's the pack is receptive to this pulse/regen cycling. When I think the car is ready for this I first charge to the low 90's SOC first or to 100% depending on the trip I'm making. The car will not let you regen to the full 30KWh until it reaches around 92% SOC.

Back