Predicting Range & Value of LEAF Gen 2

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not too worried about battery degradation due to lack of active cooling, simply because I will be leasing again. I fully expect technology to continue to greatly improve, both in regards to battery cost and in regards to autonomous features, and expect after 3 years I will want the newer tech.

DesertSprings said:
I'm not too worried about battery degradation due to lack of active cooling, simply because I will be leasing again. I fully expect technology to continue to greatly improve, both in regards to battery cost and in regards to autonomous features, and expect after 3 years I will want the newer tech.

As long as Nissan continues to provide the full tax benefit on leases, I will continue to lease as well. This essentially gives me a 3 year test drive and a baseline for the degradation I can expect if I buy.

DaveinOlyWA said:
As long as Nissan continues to provide the full tax benefit on leases, I will continue to lease as well. This essentially gives me a 3 year test drive and a baseline for the degradation I can expect if I buy.
Agree. I am on my second lease. I will buy this vehicle unless it develops problems or a better value appears in the next two years.

NeilBlanchard said:
Nissan has already shown a 60kWh pack that is very similar physical size to their current 24/30kWh packs.

Nissan-60-kWH-IDS-vs-2016-leaf-30-kwh.jpg

Here's the 60kWh:

idc-concept-leaf-60-kwh-battery-pack-via-bertel-schmitt.jpg

Here's the 24kWh pack (2013):

maxresdefault.jpg

Thanks for the pictures. Looks to me physically the 24KWH and the 60 KWH batteries are very similar and that may allow old Leaf to upgrade to 60KWH?

David, 2011 SV. 92k miles, 5 bars left.

dblo said:
Thanks for the pictures. Looks to me physically the 24KWH and the 60 KWH batteries are very similar and that may allow old Leaf to upgrade to 60KWH?

Even if it was technically / physically possible, Nissan has given us zero reason to hope that they would offer such an upgrade. Or any upgrade for that matter.

dblo said:
NeilBlanchard said:
Nissan has already shown a 60kWh pack that is very similar physical size to their current 24/30kWh packs.

Nissan-60-kWH-IDS-vs-2016-leaf-30-kwh.jpg

Here's the 60kWh:

idc-concept-leaf-60-kwh-battery-pack-via-bertel-schmitt.jpg

Here's the 24kWh pack (2013):

maxresdefault.jpg

Nissan is in business to sell cars, not battery packs.

It's in their best interest to convince you to buy the next Leaf instead of stringing gen one customers along in what will become an inferior car.

DaveinOlyWA said:
ElectricEddy said:
Any info on weight difference between 30 kWh and 60 kWh pack ?

ummm....hmmm???... I kinda sorta think I knew at one time.... 80 lbs? 80 k's?

The reported weight difference between 24 and 30 is 21Kg (46 lbs)

http://pushevs.com/2016/01/13/nissan-leaf-24-kwh-vs-30-kwh/

Just referring to the 41% more range statement , it seems efficiency/discharge rate

The Hyundai Ioniq achieves a 124 mile range with a 28 KWhr battery. Assuming Nissan has learned something about aerodynamics and efficiency in the last 6 years, this could equate to 177 miles of range with a 40KWhr battery. If Nissan gets this kind of range out of a 40KWhr battery and keeps the Leaf price around $25 it would be an absolute game changer.

Another article up at PushEvs predicting a 38.1 kWh battery but also a 160mi range. He is also predicting the closure of the TN and Japanese battery factories but that seems very thinly sourced.

http://pushevs.com/2017/08/03/nissan-moves-all-battery-cell-production-to-sunderland/

GetOffYourGas said:
http://insideevs.com/nissan-highlights-improved-aero-new-leaf/

Nissan released a new teaser touting aero improvements. I like that their solution to range isn't just brute-force adding more batteries. This should hopefully keep the price of the car down.

I agree. The efficiency of the current model drops like a rock at 55mph and above (just based on my experience). If they can shift this efficiency drop to 65mph it would make a big difference in the overall utility of the car.

eatsleafsandshoots said:
I don't see why this is still an issue, Chevy figured it out long ago and I got a used Volt for a reasonable price. Active cooling is necessary unless you're OK with the Leaf being a throwaway car, and it doesn't need to be expensive.
I agree.

Also lol at your username!

NavyCuda said:
Active cooling is a band aid solution.

The chemistry needs to be improved so cooling isn't needed. Once the cooling crutch is used it's hard to get off of.

I applaud Nissan for making the right, but difficult choice.

If you're in a climate that the Leaf doesn't work as well in, by all means buy a Garbage Motors Bolt.
So in your opinion the right choice for nissan is to treat the battery now as if it's a battery from the future; give or not give active cooling based not on the current chemistry actually in the car, but the chemistry that they have in a power point presentation of their hoped-but-currently-unavailable state?

EatsShootsandLeafs said:
NavyCuda said:

The chemistry needs to be improved so cooling isn't needed. Once the cooling crutch is used it's hard to get off of.

If you're in a climate that the Leaf doesn't work as well in, by all means buy a Garbage Motors Bolt.
So in your opinion the right choice for nissan is to treat the battery now as if it's a battery from the future; give or not give active cooling based not on the current chemistry actually in the car, but the chemistry that they have in a power point presentation of their hoped-but-currently-unavailable state?

Highly doubt that is his opinion more than it is yours.

It is correct to state that using TMS is a bandaid solution because it is. Even Musk admits that. The reality is TMS would add to the price. I choose to not pay that price. It is a personal decision we must all make.

DaveinOlyWA said:
EatsShootsandLeafs said:
NavyCuda said:

Highly doubt that is his opinion more than it is yours.

It is correct to state that using TMS is a bandaid solution because it is. Even Musk admits that. The reality is TMS would add to the price. I choose to not pay that price. It is a personal decision we must all make.

Except, as I've pointed out, Volts have a TMS and they are quite reasonably priced. Sacrificing the longevity of your vehicle for a short term, and TINY, difference in price is myopic.

eatsleafsandshoots said:
Except, as I've pointed out, Volts have a TMS and they are quite reasonably priced. Sacrificing the longevity of your vehicle for a short term, and TINY, difference in price is myopic.
Hopefully Nissan has learned their lesson and won't repeat that mistake. Has it been determined whether latest chemistry still suffers from significant degradation in heat?

Back