The official "I got my Leaf" thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bicyclist said:
I drove home 65 miles from the dealership where I bought my 2014 Leaf S this afternoon. Because of range anxiety, I trundled along at 60 ish with the AC and radio off :lol: , but made it with 22 miles of range showing. That's probably the longest trip it will ever make as its intended use is local travel. I'm retired and hope the thing will last until I'm ready to quit driving and an autonomous vehicle can take its place to haul me to the grocery store and the doctor's office.

It spent its former life as a leased vehicle in PA and was sold at auction in PA as a lot of them seem to be. I've been looking for awhile and not very happy with some of the dealers I've visited. They seem to think it's perfectly OK to publish a price on their website and then tack on outrageous "fees" when you sit down to buy. I don't argue; I tell them what I'm willing to pay and to call me if they change their mind. They always call with a better offer, but still higher than their advertised price. So, it was a pleasure to find a dealer who had what I wanted, was willing to honor their published price and the additional discount on their site and was less expensive than everybody else.

The S should serve me well. It has the Charge Option, which is the only extra I wanted. I don't need nav and cruise control to drive around town. This week's project is to wire a 240 outlet for Level 2. Meanwhile, I might run down to the free charging station a mile down the road. I saw a Leaf plugged in there one day when I was pedaling by and stopped to talk to the owner. She gave me a tour of the car, let me take a hot lap around the parking lot, and said that the roof of her business was covered with solar panels. Gotta find out the etiquette involved with charging.
Welcome to the forum and Leaf ownership :) I have almost the same Leaf as you and am quite satisfied. In single digit temps and lower the range does take a big hit, can be almost in half, but even the heatpump Leafs would be similar at those temps as at those temps it basically uses it's resistive heater like on the S models.
AFA 240v, I'd suggest either a 14-50 outlet if you want to future proof or a L14-30 if your OK with 30a, basically the max your Leaf can charge anyway, the Leaf maxes out at 27.5a. I like outlets as you can use different EVSEs or unplug yours if you want, although some like to hardwire theirs. It may be hard finding a EVSE with a L14 or even L6 plug, I ordered mine directly from China where they'd put on any plug I wanted so I chose the L6-30. On my other EVSE I simply cut off the supplied end and wired on a L6-30 plug(about $10 on Amazon).
The cheapest L2 EVSEs are portable 16a ones, starting often times <$300. My Chinese ordered portable is 30a(adjustable) and was right around $400 with shipping and a longer cord than normal(8m).
The nice thing about a L14-30 outlet is you can easily find extension cords or even Y adapter cables that have a L14-30 plug on one end and 2 120v heavy duty outlets on the other(one for each circuit). The down side of the L14-30 is other than having your EVSE custom made, you'll probably never find a EVSE with that kind of plug already attached. The down side of the L6-30 outlet is you don't have 120v accessable, to use a Y cable like I mentioned above. The 14-50 and L14-30 plugs have two hots a neutral and ground where the L6-30 only has two hots and a ground. L2 EVSEs don't use the neutral, in that case you just don't use that pin on the plug, which is just fine and safe.

So I got my uk 30kwh tekna on 23 June. It's a 2 year deal £235 down 23 x £235. One week in I have nissan ev working fine, and I'm finding I'm driving at around 4.6 miles per kwh.
To me pricewise and as a starting point it's the perfect ev. My longest journey will be 100 miles round trip, lots of uphill fair amount of downhill country roads, but as luck would have it there is a chademo 2 miles from destination so can shop for 15 to 20 mins and be all but fully charged even without I think I could do the miles even in winter.
I tend to drive b mode/eco with at a maximum of 55mph on the long journey as the roads aren't fit for much more, my commute if it can be called that is 12 miles total. I honestly think the car could do 130 + miles but very confident of it doing my needs. Not sure if the tekna with its slightly better aerodynamics etc makes a big difference but time will tell.
Fair enough one week in is not a lot of time but for its price I can't see the downside, I'm getting a pod point fitted (the 7kwh) for £95 next week but could possibly manage 2 years on the evse alone.
The internal kit is pretty good and an 8.99 obdii let me set autolock etc so little features I wanted are set.
It's aso good a deal as I've heard of, which I suppose is a message to know your budget and don't take no for an answer.
I welcome feedback and will keep updating.

jjeff said:
Welcome to the forum and Leaf ownership :)

Thanks.

jjeff said:
AFA 240v, I'd suggest either a 14-50 outlet if you want to future proof ...

Yup, got one today. I went over to the electrical supply place to order some Panduit wire duct for my behemoth Transit project but decided to go another route when I found out how expensive it was, so while I was there, I got the outlet, box and cover. Have to dig through my pile to see what I have and what I still need.

My wife got her first ride tonight when we went over to get a couple of Blizzards at the DQ :D . Did 7.4 mi/kWh on the way home. Wasted about 20 cents worth of electricity.

I just signed the paperwork on a CPO 2015 Leaf S with 11K miles on it. I was able to get it for $10,045 OTD. That includes an outrageous $599.00 doc fee and the even more outrageous $200 Georgia Electric Car tax. I took advantage of the $750 cash back from NMAC on all CPO Leafs and still got 2.86% APR for 36 months. I've been saving for a while to pay cash, but $750 is nothing to sneeze at. I'll just pay it off when I get my 1st payment notice. I don't think I could have gotten a sweeter deal.

I got my 2013 Leaf SV today after tons of reading, and lots of lurking around this forum.

It has 32k miles, and has lost one battery bar, so I feel/hope it has a long life ahead of it.

The drive home was a little tense, as it was showing 15 miles range, and I live 12 miles from the dealership where I bought it, but it made it home just fine, and is now roughly half-way charged.

Great to be aboard as an owner!

Also, mine was manufactured 4/2013. Does that mean I have a newer battery, or just on the wrong side of the cutoff?

LeftieBiker said:
Mrmstage said:
Also, mine was manufactured 4/2013. Does that mean I have a newer battery, or just on the wrong side of the cutoff?

You're on the right side of the line. Mine is also an April build.

Woohoo!! I thought I was from a forum search, but I wanted some reassurance. Thanks!!!

I got my 30kWh Tekna at the beginning of last month. 1100 miles of easy motoring so far. Love the fact that I can charge at home and here in the UK my utility company has given me 52 free charges at their motorway charging stations for my first year. Two weeks ago, I drove 450 miles for free.

Hi folks,

I picked up a used 2015 Leaf S (with the fast charge package!) on Friday. Under 9500 miles, looks very good, $10000 US (private sale from a guy moving to where he needs no car). After a full charge on the Level 1 charger, the telltale says 97 miles to empty. I have wanted something electric since putting solar panels up in April, and instead of laying down a deposit and waiting for a Toyota Prius Prime, I bought this when I saw it. I'd like Bluetooth audio, but my iPhone sounds good over USB.

I'm kind of a naif, and haven't even had time to read much about it yet. But it's fun to use on the handful of trips I've made so far.

One question - I have a welding plug in the garage :), with a NEMA 6-50 receptacle, and the car came with a Nissan Level 2 wall charger kit that the previous owner never installed (he just charged the car at work). How reasonable do people think it is to install the kit myself? (Son of an electrician, not scared of it but I've never done anything that would be this much power.) Since that feels permanent and would not help if I do go for a Prius Prime later, I am tempted to buy a ClipperCreek L2 station that plugs into a NEMA 6-50, am I nuts?

Thanks,
Rob T

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Do you mean the round Nissan branded Aeroenvironment level 2? Can you digit with a Nema 6-50 pigtail plug? That would be easier.

Yes, it is one of those. I'm glad I posted - I hadn't even thought of that possibility (doh!). Sounds good. Now to find a 6-50p with a pigtail ...

Rob T

I think it'll be easier to find a 14-50p with pigtail (~$22 on amazon). In which case, you can go that route and convert your 6-50r to a 14-50r pretty cheaply too. Just another suggestion.

Well, I got my Leaf last November, hope I can still tell how happy I am about it.
I got it used. 25,000 miles on it, a 2012 model. Creampuff condition. Paid $8,000 at a Hyundai dealer used lot in Metairie, LA (Greater New Orleans) It's not a plain S model, I thinks it's a fairly top of the line model, has heated seats, heated steering wheel, smartphone interface, map system, lots of bells and whistles I will never use.

I had been watching Cargurus for some months. Seemed like there were a lot of used Leafs in the Pensacola area, I was thinking about buying one there and having it delivered via truck. But finally one came up right here in New Orleans. Initially it was posted at $9500 but I just treated it like a "Dutch auction" and waited for the list price to drop, which it did after about 90 days sitting on the lot.

I took a taxi to the dealership and was in and out in about the time it takes to get a rental car. Well, okay, it took longer than that once you count the test drive, but I would have been willing to skip that part, I only did it to be polite to the sales guy, who had gone to a lot of trouble to learn the car's feature even though it was just used and wasn't on his own dealership lineup.

I work nights and my employer lets me plug it in for free, so I am saving about a thousand bucks a year compared to the fuel costs of my former gasmobile. At night the power here in New Orleans comes almost entirely from the Waterford 3 nuke facility just up the river so I am fond of saying my car is "atomic powered."

The car had 10 bars of capacity at time of purchase. I charge it to 80%, it gives me all the range and more that I need for all of my activities of living, and I expect many good years of use out of the thing. (I don;t live but about 9 miles from work and everything I need is between there and home)

haufniensis said:
Well, I got my Leaf last November, hope I can still tell how happy I am about it.
I got it used. 25,000 miles on it, a 2012 model. Creampuff condition. Paid $8,000 at a Hyundai dealer used lot in Metairie, LA (Greater New Orleans) It's not a plain S model, I thinks it's a fairly top of the line model, has heated seats, heated steering wheel, smartphone interface, map system, lots of bells and whistles I will never use.
Welcome! For model year 2012, there were only two trim levels: SV and SL. Both of them come w/all that.

https://www.autoblog.com/2011/07/19/2012-nissan-leaf-higher-price-tag-standard-equipment/
http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/Leaf-Press-Kits/presskits/US-2012-nissan-leaf-press-kit - see Specs tab

Cheaper and faster - I can get a 6-50p plug and some wire at Home Depot.

For a short 3ft section of wire, what gauge would you suggest for a 30A Level 2 connection?

Rob T

rthurlow said:
Cheaper and faster - I can get a 6-50p plug and some wire at Home Depot.

For a short 3ft section of wire, what gauge would you suggest for a 30A Level 2 connection?

Rob T

I'd consult an electrician for code compliance, but you'll probably be safe with 8 gauge: http://www.cerrowire.com/ampacity-charts

Just got my Leaf yesterday here in the Bay Area. 2011 SV with DC quick charge, still showing 8 bars, $5k total price from a used dealer. SUPER happy about never paying for fuel again. There's a free CHAadEMO station 3 miles from my house! Never loved a car like this before....

Hey, I'm reading about LeafSpy, and would like a tip on what OBD device to get to go with it - any recommendations? I see that some don't support iOS, not sure how that's possible.

Rob T

Back