How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dropped my 8th bar last night. 43.466 AHr and 72% SOH. I guess the 8 bar is not dependent on SOH at all. I'm surprised that I dropped my 8th bar at such a high AHr, but no complaints.

Now... do I get the lizard now or wait until summer is over...

Gorge said:
Dropped my 8th bar last night. 43.466 AHr and 72% SOH. I guess the 8 bar is not dependent on SOH at all. I'm surprised that I dropped my 8th bar at such a high AHr, but no complaints.

Congrats! It just depends on your mileage and needs. If the current range works for you, I would wait as long as you can without going over the 60k miles.

I went out and took a reading today. Mine is still holding on to that 9th bar. It should be dropping soon, probably when it gets warmer. Based on the numbers, I'm surprised it has not already dropped.

The vehicle was manufactured in January 2013, spent the first two years in Georgia, was auctioned after lease return and
brought to Las Vegas. I got it in March 2015. It dropped the first bar in October 2015, the second bar in June 2016, and
the third bar in November 2016.

May 15, 2017 - AHr=40.96, SOH=62%, Hx=55.96%, odo=25,169 miles, QC=4 L1/L2=1989

apparently, I have not made the proper sacrifice to the leaf battery gods.
I still have 9 bars. How, I dont know, but I do.

EDIT - finally happened, dropped the 9th bar 5/21/17

Screenshot_20170517-211658.png

Here's my 2012, with daily health stats since I bought it and linear regression lines, with my (hopeful) "goal" values as horizontal lines. At a bit under 38,000 miles, but the 60 months expires early January, so it's a race against time. 3rd owner of the car which started life as a lease in Texas... Average driving is < 20 miles/day so far.
(Oh, edit: I'm currently at 9 bars)
3Aw1ICV.png

Gorge said:

That's a very high SOH for dropping your 8th bar. So you have 7 bars now? I have 4 months until my 60 months are up, and I don't have any chance, I don't think 46.7AHr and 71% SOH. But now that it is warming up, the AHr drop is much faster, so I fear I will lost my 9th bar right after my 60 months is up. :?

Durandal said:
Gorge said:

That's a very high SOH for dropping your 8th bar. So you have 7 bars now? I have 4 months until my 60 months are up, and I don't have any chance, I don't think 46.7AHr and 71% SOH. But now that it is warming up, the AHr drop is much faster, so I fear I will lost my 9th bar right after my 60 months is up. :?

Sorry. I have 8 bars now. I lost 0.75 AHr since then and haven't driven much. Still at 72% SOH.

With the current hot weather in the bay area the 9th bar dropped today. The stats are:

2013 S with no charge package
Mfg Date: 02/2013
Ahr: 40.05
SOH: 61%
Gid: 173
Soc: 96.9
Hx: 54.57%
Odo: 53,568
QC: 0
L1/L2: 1131

setof4 said:
The 10th bar dropped today, at 42.97 Ahr and 65% soh. The Ahr gap between bar loss is increasing. Hopefully Ahr does not need to go below 36 before the 9th bar drops.
12th bar dropped at 53.94 Ahr
11th bar dropped at 49.19 Ahr
10th bar dropped at 42.97 Ahr

setof4 said:
With the current hot weather in the bay area the 9th bar dropped today. The stats are:

Odo: 53,568
Sorry for your loss but congrats on impending new battery. Don't accidentally go over the 60k mile limit before getting the new battery installed...

setof4 said:

Wow, that may be the lowest Ahr I've seen. Which worries me a little ;)

This question may be better for another forum, but maybe someone can post a link to an existing answer: of the 3 stats people pay attention to here, Ahr, Hx, and SOH - are those all interpreted by LeafSpy, or are they more or less direct readings from values in the car? Meaning, how much of these numbers are reverse-engineered guesswork by the LeafSpy author? There is very little documentation about what's actually behind these values.

sandeen said:
Wow, that may be the lowest Ahr I've seen. Which worries me a little ;)
It seems that most '11-12 LEAFs drop the 4th bar at a higher SOC. Mine dropped at 43.3 AHr, for example. So I think that you have a good chance of making the warranty period.

sandeen said:
3 stats people pay attention to here, Ahr, Hx, and SOH - are those all interpreted by LeafSpy, or are they more or less direct readings from values in the car?
AHr/Hx are directly from the car. I believe that SOH is a derived value based on the current AHr reading and 65 AHr or so - if not in LeafSpy it's done in the car, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry about that value, anyway - all you really care about is AHr.

drees said:
AHr/Hx are directly from the car. I believe that SOH is a derived value based on the current AHr reading and 65 AHr or so - if not in LeafSpy it's done in the car, but I could be wrong. I wouldn't worry about that value, anyway - all you really care about is AHr.
I'm not sure about the bolded part. Here are some old posts from Turbo3. From searches (not reading threads and posts in detail), it looks like:

old Hlth got renamed to Hx
SOH is a newer value

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=12098&p=307174&hilit=health#p307174
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=329843#p329843
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=4131&p=337560&hilit=soh#p337560
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=337612&hilit=soh#p337612
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=14285&p=342294&hilit=Hlth#p342294

cwerdna said:
drees said:
I'm not sure about the bolded part. Here are some old posts from Turbo3. From searches (not reading threads and posts in detail), it looks like:

old Hlth got renamed to Hx
SOH is a newer value
Everything that I can see shows that SOH is current AHr / 66.25 and calculated in LeafSpy. 66.25 AHr is the assumed capacity of a new battery.

Health => Hlth => Hx in LeafSpy.

Just grab a couple random LeafSpy screenshots and run the calculation and you'll see that the "new" capacity of a 24 kWh LEAF is 66.25 AHr.

More fun with charts; here's what I see for 4th bar drop by model year for Ahr & Hx. I only included ones for which I could find the forum post, not everything on the wiki. Clearly the 2013s behave differently, with the 4th bar drop at lower Ahr & higher Hx... There are a few weird outlier numbers, too. In particular co2112's numbers seem pretty far out of the normal range. Google sheet is here
(Edit: Updated with a few more entries I found. Far more 2011s than 2012, though perhaps that's expected simply due to age. 2012s have a wider range on Ahr. Come on 2012's, show me what you've got!) :)
(Last update: Removed co2112's outlier numbers, they were drop to 9th bar not drop of 9th bar, AFAICT; added a few more stats I found)
LOyOV5Q.png

oc8b446.png

sandeen said:
More fun with charts; here's what I see for 4th bar drop by model year for Ahr & Hx. I only included ones for which I could find the forum post, not everything on the wiki. Clearly the 2013s behave differently, with the 4th bar drop at lower Ahr & higher Hx... There are a few weird outlier numbers, too. In particular co2112's numbers seem pretty far out of the normal range. Google sheet is here
406JuhJ.png

UNJ3uOC.png
THANKS! That's a great summary.

Just dropped my 4th bar!
Last Sunday 7/9/2017 4/2013 leaf SL, was a southern cali car that we bought used in Utah last year 7/1/2016 with only 2 bars missing. Utah summer heat did it in. Leaf Spy: AHr = 42.10 SOH = 64% Hx = 57.69 39k miles, 1814 L1 charges
I still had 8 mo left on the warranty! Dealer got approval for the replacement no problem. Just waiting 4 weeks for the battery to come in.

Back