Considering EV for 75 mile round trip commute

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandboxpirate

Hello everyone from Eastern North Carolina. I have started a new job and I am seriously considering an EV for my commute. I'll give you some background on my situation. Me and my wife own 2 ICE vehicles, 2005 toyota camry with 250,000 miles, and a 2015 gmc sierra truck with 24000 miles. I just started a new job that is definitely worth the drive but I gave up a employer provided vehicle so I am going to have to start paying for gas like everyone else to get to work! The truck has been sitting parked minus the weekends and when I was off and my wife has been driving the camry during the week. Naturally our new plan is for me to drive the camry now and her the truck full time. I just happened to run across some used Leaf prices and was shocked to see how much of a bargain they can be had for and my wheels have started turning. I am thinking I am going to be putting anywhere from 15k-18k a year on commuting and when you do the math for gas, oil, and tires it comes up to around 175-200 a month. Even though the camry is paid for my wife would now be driving the truck and her gas expenses will increase as well. To me a lease is unreasonable due to mileage, and I was hoping to get in an EV with a payment under $200 a month so a used 13-15 leaf seems to fit the bill. I guess the big question is will it make the trip without charging, I work for a college and there are two free L2 stations, but they are clear on the other side of campus from my office, I may can get L1 at our building in the shop out back. I did some calculations on EVtrip planner and it says 7.8 kwh going and coming and 32 rated miles used each way, (drive is mostly rural highway at 55, 5 miles of interstate, and minimal in town). I am looking at a used 2015 S model with 11,000 miles for around $11,500 and from the photos it looks like it has 11 bars. Last caveat is time to time at work I may have to leave and run errands within the local area or on my way home..so there is some unknown mileage days. Should I be leaning towards a used Volt?? Only issue there is volts are running at least 14k plus on the used market here.

Thank You in advance!

You should be looking at both used Volts and used Prius PHEVs. Don't get a used 24kwh Leaf, as it would definitely take a 30 kwh Leaf to make that commute painlessly. If you want an EV, then look for a used 30kwh Leaf, meaning a 2016 SV or SL, or a LATE 2016 S. (Not all 2016 S models are 30kwh.)

Can you charge at work? If not then agree that 24kWh Leaf won't work. Are there any good lease deals in your area for new EVs? Here in California new Leaf's are very inexpensive. Bolts aren't far behind.
http://ev-vin.blogspot.com/

Update:
For traveling across campus an electric skateboard might be interesting. There are several other electric devices available, like electric scooter, electric one wheel. Problem with these devices is that they tend not to last long. A folding bicycle might be best, or just hoofing it. :)

If there's a DCQC en route, and if you buy a 24kWh Leaf with a CHADEMO port, then it's doable. You'd likely only need 10 - 15 mins of DCQC charging to add 10 kWh of charge (about 40 miles of added range).

If your first consideration is cost to fuel, choose a ~ 3-5 year old, 50 mpg Prius. I'm reasonably sure they are < $10k, will cut your fuel bill in half, and likely last as long as your Camry. A Volt is also a reasonable choice if you can find one at a competitive price.

In a few years a used Bolt may fit nicely, but for now inexpensive EV means local car, not long distance commuting unless you have a way to charge along the way.

That truck of yours is a heavy weight around your neck.

I you work on a campus, I would imagine that the distance from the L2 chargers to your office is a nice, flat, quiet area. I would suggest that you get a 2015 24kw used, which will be at a very reasonable price. Also, you MUST get a L2 charger at home.....

I suggest that you do what I have done. Use the L2 chargers across campus. Get a $125 trailer hitch, and put a bicycle rack on your car to ride a bike from the charger to the office... I have do that. I work 1/2 mile from a college that has several l2 chargers, which are not really used much. I can leave the car charging all morning or afternoon, and ride the bike to pick it up at lunchtime or at the end of the day.....

You also could drive early to work, charge for about 1/2 hour or so while you read the morning paper in your car, and that will give you the range to comfortable get home. I would not drive the 75 mile round trip back to home base, because that discharges the batteries to a low level, (not good for the battery) and you would need more range in the summer and winter for heat or a/c.

You are very luck that you have L2 chargers at the college...

I had not considered a bike etc.. to travel from charger to my office but that is a great idea! My plan is to scope out the charging stations this week and see how much they are being used, times available etc. If I do go the EV route I am definitely going to install a L2 at home. Great advice everyone thank you so much for the feedback.

SO if you look at this challenge, and if you can work with the EV. Plug it in every night, and the limited range that you will have to work with at times. This is a no brainer to buy a new Nissan leaf , with over a 100 miles range new and 90 in 5 years with normal wear on the battery. it should give you good service, and save a lot of money.

It is time to buy a new car ..driving a Camry on it's way back from the moon ( 250,000 miles on it) That car will be needing repair. So if you bought a new leaf SV for $34 K if their is Nissan cash and 0% for 60 months and $7500 tax credit to use as you want. so about $ 24 k or $ 400 a month. The wife can keep her car. Happy wife happy life...

At 18000 miles a year, the Camry at 25 mpg 720 gal. for fuel @ $3 a gal. $2160
3 oil services a year one every 6000 miles @$ 50 each $ 150
30 k service every 2 years $ 700 $ 350
total yearly savings $2660

This is just of the top of my head, add to that you have a new car with a warranty for the next 2 years 36,000 miles and 100K on the power train. It is hard to add in brakes and other items. If you look at your repair bills from your Camry ( a vary good car) I think you will find things the Leaf does not have... air filters , fuel system, exhaust system, transmission, ignition system, and more.

The hyundai ioniq electric lease deal with unlimited miles, and they would pay for fuel. Hyundai would loose their shirt, on that deal with you...
just my thoughts on this. Have fun at the new job.

The $7500 purchase tax credit can't be used by many - you have to have $7500 in taxes owed for that one year. However, Nissan applies the full $7500 to the down payment when you lease, with a fairly low residual, so leasing and then buying is the best way for most to buy a Leaf. The 2017 Leaf will be discounted heavily soon if it already isn't, and that car will have 100 miles of real world range.

I am not familiar with leases as I have always bought, what I am pasting below is the current lease offer on an S here in NC. From my reading it I gather that I pay approx. 8k in lease payments over 36 months...at the end I can buy the car for another 8k.... with the down payment that only adds up to 19k for a car that MSRP for 30K. Am I reading this right??

THE 2017 NISSAN LEAF®
$229 PER MO.
36 MONTHS
$1,999 due at signing
2017 LEAF S Trim Lease
36 Months - $229/Month - $1,999 initial payment.

Excludes taxes, title, and license. $1,999 initial payment required at consummation. (Includes $1,770 consumer down payment, $229 first month payment.) (INCLUDES $12,350 manufacturer's rebate applied to $229/Month lease. Offer valid only when financed through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation.) Subject to residency restrictions. 2017 LEAF S Trim Lease model 17017 subject to availability to well-qualified lessees through Nissan Motor Acceptance Corporation. $31,565 MSRP incl. destination charge. Net capitalized cost of $16,424 includes a $595 non-refundable acquisition fee. Dealer contribution may affect actual price set by dealer. Monthly payments total $8,244 At lease end, purchase for $8,207, plus purchase option fee up to $300 (except KS & WI), plus tax, or pay excess wear & use plus $0.15 per mile for mileage over 12,000 miles per year. Lessee is responsible for maintenance and repairs. A disposition fee is due at termination of lease term. No security deposit required. Must take delivery from new dealer stock. See participating dealer for details. Offer ends 07/05/2017

That looks right. I strongly suggest you negotiate to get an S with the "Charge Package" at that price. It includes both a DC Quick Charge port and a faster onboard charger. Otherwise you'd get no QC port and a slow onboard charger that would slow charge times enough to be an issue for you. You might also try for a price on an un-optioned SV. That would include both a heatpump and the QC port/Faster charger. You'd get better range in typical Winter weather where you live, and the Nav feature with remote climate control and charging access.. The S has a resistance heater only, and no Nav/remote access..

I doubt you will want to buy after the lease because:
1. Longer range vehicles will be available.
2. Vehicles with driverless or autosteer capability for freeways will be available.
You would just lease again at that point.
These capabilities are rumored for the 2018 Leaf that will be announced in September and available by end of year. The autosteer capability for 2018 Leaf is called ProPilot. Already on minivan in Japan:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-06-08/nissan-wins-converts-in-japan-with-27-000-hands-free-minivan

The advantages of leasing now over buying used:
1. No maintenance costs
2. Longer range vehicle: 84 miles versus 107.

3. The option to buy your car for $8k if it will suit your needs for another three to five years, if you choose. People usually avoid leasing because they consider it "renting" with nothing to show for it. The Leaf offers an alternative to that.

I agree that an S Leaf MUST have a quick charge package... I have it.... I charge my car in about 2-2.5 hours. The standard slower 3.3 charger would take 4-6 hours...

If considering new, also check out the $10K power company deal. My dealer had not heard of it but it was a real thing. Maybe not quite as good as it seems because it requires taking a loan at a fairly high interest rate, but worth looking at anyway. A few power companies other than Duke are participating as well.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23814

LoLRick said:
If considering new, also check out the $10K power company deal. My dealer had not heard of it but it was a real thing. Maybe not quite as good as it seems because it requires taking a loan at a fairly high interest rate, but worth looking at anyway. A few power companies other than Duke are participating as well.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=23814

I ran across this last night and I am trying to find out if my cooperative is participating. The road I live on is divided by those who receive power from South River EMC (me) and across the street is Duke.....

Also the S models I have looked have the charging package...apparently the dealers know the benefit and are ordering them with it around here...or should I say from the triangle westward...there isn't a Nissan Leaf on a dealer lot East of I-95!

(Edit for updated information)

http://www.pluginnc.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/12/Plug-In-NC-Nissan-LEAF-Incentive.pdf

According to their facebook page Plug In NC says all residents of the state of NC are eligible as any resident of this state is considered a "stakeholder" in their mission.

Also I checked out the L2 chargers here at work....no one has parked at them all day...now it is summer so campus isn't packed but still looking like L2 is going to be available for free at work on a daily basis, that walk/ride to my office is looking very doable with a fold up bike or just walking.

As others have said, for a commute like that, don't get a 24kWh Leaf. 30kWh should be your dead minimum.
You may also consider a used Tesla Model S. 85kWh battery models for $45k, if you can afford that.
https://www.tesla.com/used?model=ms

If you get a new Leaf, as others have suggested, lease instead of buy. It likely will work out cheaper if you do decide to buy out the lease, AND you're not stuck with it if you decide the range isn't good enough.

Otherwise, you could look into a Volt/Bolt, but I hate Chevy, so it's not an option for me, but you may not hate them.

Having a 6.6kW charger instead of the 3.7kW charger is nice, especially if you can pop into a place that has L2 charging. Wishing my 2012 Leaf had the faster charger, but oh well. I will have my Tesla Model 3 in about a year's time. I can survive until then.

SageBrush said:
LeftieBiker said:
The Leaf offers an alternative to that.
"Rent to own."

Lucky us.

As Durandal wrote:

If you get a new Leaf, as others have suggested, lease instead of buy. It likely will work out cheaper if you do decide to buy out the lease, AND you're not stuck with it if you decide the range isn't good enough.

That's quite a bit better than "rent to own."

Back