Need new Nissan Leaf keys

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

krossari

Hello, I just bought a Nissan Leaf 2015 S model from Atlanta and moved it here to Iceland. It only had 1 key and I was wondering if anybody knew how to get new ones?
Is the only way to go to the dealer? Its kind of hard since I'm in Iceland :)
But my brother goes to Orlando a lot on business if that's the only way.

It gets even worse :cry: You have to actually bring the car along with any keys to a Nissan dealer to reprogram the car. Now I'd think any Nissan dealer would do, I wouldn't think they'd actually have to sell the Leaf. Surely they must have a Nissan dealer in Iceland?

More details on page 3-2 of the owner's manual:

https://www.nissan.ca/content/dam/nissan/ca/owners/manuals/LEAF/2015-Nissan-LEAF.pdf

Nissan dealers are listed here: https://www.nissan.is/dealer-locator.html

Good luck!

If you do not have a Nissan dealer near, you are out of luck.... You should have done it in the US.

You need all the keys, the car, and a locksmith that has the proper computer that can plug into the car AND log onto the internet.

THEN they Call Nissan IN PERSON to verify the vin of the car so that he gets a code by telephone to add the new key....

krossari said:
Yeah they have a Nissan dealer here but they only service European cars. Just my luck!

Are you sure the local dealer is unable to play their part in this process? I'd have a talk with their service manager or someone else knowledgeable enough to determine what can actually be done. And I also find it a little surprising that they would not be interested in servicing your car. Seems like they would be completely happy to receive your money.

Just got of the phone with the manager of the dealer. It costs 800$!! Sometimes I wished that I lived in the USA. The price here is ridiculous.
But on the plus side Costco did open up here yesterday and a lot of companies are cutting their prices because of them.

Have any of you adjusted the doors on Nissan Leaf? The rear right door seems to be slightly out of place. Needs to go up a little bit so the clearance is even all around the door. Also a little harder to close on that side of the car.

Just a suggestion, if you start a new post for the door adjustment issue then you'll get the attention of more people. Someone that knows little about FOBs would ignore this post, but that same person may have knowledge on how to adjust the door mount...

powersurge said:
Door adjustment is not a Leaf issue.... Any mechanic knows how to adjust a door.

Yup. I've done it, back in the day, and it's easier if you have a helper to hold the door while you loosen and re-tighten the mounting bolts. (Although I seem to recall doing it with Maverick doors using a chair as a "helper.") The brackets or holes should all be slotted. It's especially easy if the door only needs adjustment in one direction, at one location, although you may still have to adjust two or more bolts.

yes the computer chip in car keys now a days is a rip off. $100 for a duplicate key that costs $8 on ebay.

one can carefully hack open your exsisting key, remove the micro chip and epoxy it glue it VERY near to the key hole. more than a 1 cm away and it wont' work. I did it on a Nissan versa and bought 6 key blanks. of course thieves can theoretically steal the car easier, but any "good" thief would avoid the car assuming it has the safety feature still there.

the actual chip is around 7x4mmx2mm thick pretty small,

I for get how I extracted mine years ago, but remember being pretty nervous about it. I think a box cutter, hair dryer and a dremel did the trick.

Back