NissanConnect EV / Telematics Hardware Update, for the post-2G world

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Small update. My car sends me status emails as of today. I didn't do anything new- not sure if anything was done on the server (Nissan) end.

Of course, at last check I had a new code: p30fd 0048 hv battery total voltage monitor switch evb-93

I'm going to see if it lights the ev system warning light in the morning

Anybody have a good link for instructions on testing a 12v battery. I'm starting to have my doubts....

Update: either the new code caused more issues or something else happened. I didn't get my charge stopped email this am. I also can't access the car through the connectEV app.

essaunders said:
Small update. My car sends me status emails as of today. I didn't do anything new- not sure if anything was done on the server (Nissan) end.

Of course, at last check I had a new code: p30fd 0048 hv battery total voltage monitor switch evb-93

I'm going to see if it lights the ev system warning light in the morning

Anybody have a good link for instructions on testing a 12v battery. I'm starting to have my doubts....

Update: either the new code caused more issues or something else happened. I didn't get my charge stopped email this am. I also can't access the car through the connectEV app.

How old is the 12v battery in the car? If more than a few years, it may be due for replacement. Leave the hood open and turn the car off. Let it sit a few hours, or overnight, then check the battery voltage with a meter. Do not open the doors, use the remote, turn the car on, have the EVSE connected, or have anything plugged into the OBD port before checking the voltage. If it reads below 12.5 volts it most likely is due for replacement. You can get a new 51R battery at Sam's Club for around $100 with free installation and a full 3 year replacement warranty. They should also have a battery tester they can use that will give the health of the 12v battery and whether or not replacement is recommended.

I found the purchase charge on my credit card. My walmart sourced battery is just under 20 months old. After a 30min rest it measured 11.86v. I'll check it again, but my hopes aren't high for this battery.

Has anyone tried swapping the SIM in the original 2G radio? Someone in this thread proposed the idea but it was shot down under the belief that Nissan Servers wouldn't accept the handshake/authentication. Has anyone actually confirmed this by inserting a T-Mobile SIM card?

There are a couple threads on here about Canadians with US cars, and one or two have done that and also had success. Might be worth a shot if you still have 2g in your area.

I'll give it a go. I use Project Fi as my cellular service provider. The offer free "data-only" sims that connect to T-Mobile's 2G band that won't be shut down until 2020. I don't expect it to work but worth a try since the telematics unit is relatively easy to get to. I'm kind of surprised that a Nissan Certified Pre-Owned vehicle wouldn't include the upgrade but it's detailed in the Customer Disclosure Form.

VitaminJ said:
There are a couple threads on here about Canadians with US cars, and one or two have done that and also had success. Might be worth a shot if you still have 2g in your area.

the success was short lived with US imports to canada, Apparently Nissan gave the middle finger on this one, and now we dont have access even though its connected to a 2g network.

I just purchased my import and found out that i have to drive to WA to get the upgrade.

Hi All,

I had an issue with my TCU after the upgrade. Wanted to share / post here in case the symptoms apply to anyone else, and the solution.

At first when purchasing used Leaf last month - had no service. Found the upgrade was necessary. Scheduled appointment with dealer - and quoted the $199 for the upgrade (the copay).

Upgrade took over the weekend due to no Tech available, was provided with a Rental Car (great experience there).

After delivery from the Service Department, was able to login through the Car Wings. Set all information to share with Nissan DC, was able to activate the leaf with my account AFTER calling Nissan to release the VIN number from prior owner - and let me associate with MY Nissan Owners account at the EV portal.

Logging in through the iPhone App - OR through the Website. The following Symptoms.

1. Authenticate - Success
2. Refresh to receive status - Success (text and email notifications received)
3. Noticed NO sign of charging OR plugged in Status when plugged in
4. Attempt for remote climate control (failed) = Status Received message "See Dealer"
5. No ability to start / stop remote charge - as Status never showed as vehicle charging *plugged in or not.

During this time, from inside the car.

1. On a complete charge - received SMS notification alert charging complete.
2. Able to see Carwings connected
3. Able to auth / REauth with login
4. Able to download internet Feeds/RSS (programmed through the EV portion of myNissan Owners portal
5. Able to attempt to download charging station updates (although no new ones discovered).

Called the 1-800 support for the Nissan Connect EV - told everything appeared Synchronized. Went through whether I had the car on / off when sending, whether was on the charger, etc.... at the end recommended bring back to dealer.

Initially dealer did a reauthentication, and a reactivation, and after two days with car - same issue.

Further debugging between the Dealer Tech and the Nissan Connect team - they found the TCU that was installed (the model number) was incorrect for my car. The 2012 model was a split year - and depending - the TCU model needed may be different.

If I get the model numbers they used - and reinstalled - I will update. But as of now dealer is waiting 24 hour but suspects this will be solving the issue. Wanted to share if anyone has HAD the TCU upgrade and found an issue with symptoms like the above. Was pulling my hair out for a while ;>

Thanks

D

pricdx01 said:
Wanted to share if anyone has HAD the TCU upgrade and found an issue with symptoms like the above. Was pulling my hair out for a while ;>

Thanks

D
Hmmmm, only the last 10 or 20 pages of this thread.

VitaminJ said:
pricdx01 said:
Wanted to share if anyone has HAD the TCU upgrade and found an issue with symptoms like the above. Was pulling my hair out for a while ;>

Thanks

D
Hmmmm, only the last 10 or 20 pages of this thread.

I reread the last 20 pages - I still don't see my symptoms nor anyone reporting the solution I have.

1. I was able to use the Car Wings from inside the car just fine. I could pull feeds, update charging stations, login, etc.

2. I was able to use the iPhone App and the Web Page to get status, see the battery power and the range.

3. I was UNABLE to trigger the remote climate control, unable to trigger a charge (because the iPhone app would not report the car was or was not on power/plugged in.

4. When charges complete - the car sends out an SMS.

The resolution was to return to the dealer, to have the brand new 3g TCU swapped out for a different model 3g TCU (not just a different piece of hardware - a completely different part number. This as a result of the 2012 model year having used different part numbers for the 3g TCU (is what am told).

This is nothing that a battery pull, or fuse pull would have fixed. They installed the wrong part number accidentally - not knowing that Nissan actually uses two different part numbers for the 2012 TCU.

I could be wrong - but I saw the symptoms no other place - and want to think its rare.... but if others have these symptoms - perhaps the WRONG TCU's are being installed in the first place - and they aren't "bad" they just are not proper "fit"?'

Well,

Add me to the list... Me and our 2013 LEAF SL

Last monday, we came downstairs to a flat LEAF which, after jump starting, behaved itself until yesterday morning -- when it did the same thing.

This time the battery was flat as a pancake and started throwing errors every time it was charged.

I initially thought "maybe it's the plugless power system?" we've had on loan but after using the J1772 plug for the past day and a half it's still throwing the EV warning light every time I plug in.

Using LEAFSpy Pro, I'm getting P3131 00C0 EV/HEV System Shutoff Timeout EVC-220 every time .

Our TCU was replaced in late January for a 3G unit if memory serves correctly...

Now if I may, I'm going to add my twopennothworth.

I know our LEAF has sat in the garage for some time of late, and I also know that the 12-volt battery is not fully charged (I've had a battery tender sitting on it for the past day and it's still not showing up as fully charged) so I do wonder if there's some credence in the 12-Volt battery issue.

My car IS entering its fourth year and yes, I suppose there could be an issue with the 12-volt battery. I also know that there's an issue with that darned relay sticking (which I really should check) as well as a potential TCU issue.

I'll reset the carwings credentials tomorrow and call the helpline. I'll also Check the voltage of the battery, as yesterday when I was checking it the thing seemed to fluctuate quite wildly.

Why does the 12-volt battery thing sound familiar? Well, I also own a 2002 RAV4 EV, and those were notorious about throwing weird error messages and just being a royal PITA if the 12-volt battery system wasn't working as it should. (http://www.evnut.com/rav_faq_owner.htm#auxok) Replace the 12-Volt battery and voila! everything gets fixed.

Given that my LEAF's 12-volt battery is still not full, I suspect this may be part of the issue. But I also think something's going on with the TCU.

Sigh. Oh well. It was working well enough last week for this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0F_-IAqlqQs

1st dealer I called told me they had to check the part and they'd have to order the right one, so I could come back a second time. No thanks.

2nd dealer (not as convenient for me) said yeah, there are 3 different parts but they have all 3 in stock, so they don't need to do the order and come back crap. The 2nd dealer normally has a decent to good service dept. I used to take my other Nissans to this dealer when they were on the way to my previous job.

I had my TCU upgrade done over a week ago by the 2nd dealer and was told that it would take 24-48 hours to work. Well, I waited that long and can't sign it on the car side. My credentials were filled in on the sign in screen. For the heck of it, I cleared them out and put in the "PIN" and password from the "Looking for your NissanConnectEV PIN and Password?" resulting page when logged into the owner's portal (https://owners.nissanusa.com/nowners/user/home).

Basically, the first time takes the longest and fails in an error. When I select Yes to retry, eventually, I usually fail with an error ending in (B02). I noticed in the Unit ID Info screen Unit ID, TCU ID, SIM ID and VIN are all filled in but TCU Phone No (in the middle) is ****'s. I called the Nissan EV support line and they said the TCU Phone # being ****'s is normal. But from the error I'm getting, they claim that either the TCU isn't properly connected (cable backwards (?, sounds unlikely) or loose) or the TCU is defective.

I tried again tonight and the car's still failing to connect in the same way.

The first tech I spoke to when I couldn't be in front of my car (was at work, car in parking structure) claimed they couldn't check activation status. The second tech I spoke (on 3/20/17) to when I was in my car claimed he could submit a ticket to tech support to have them check but it'd take a few days. They claimed they'd call me back to confirm the status, but he still maintained they were quite sure that either the TCU wasn't properly connected or was bad. Haven't heard back yet.

I haven't tried the resets yet, but I'd rather not pull the 12 volt, unless absolutely necessary.

Was surprised that the price was $199 straight, not $199 + tax. They said it's a co-pay and that's the way it's set up.

If most else fails, car will be going back to the dealer as it has to again anyway. I'm having them replace the rear hatch struts a 2nd time and they just received the parts. I had the original rear hatch struts replaced under the 3 year/36K warranty but the replacements are leaking, as well. Seems like Nissan has a crappy supplier for these.

My 06 Prius that I bought in Jan 06 has its original hatch struts and although they're definitely weaker than originally, they're not leaking.

Background: 2013 SL. My issues with the TCU replacement have been going on since 2016.12.28. Replaced again with no effect a week later.

Update: Finally about 2 weeks ago, a NissanConnect rep called again for the TCU IDs (which disappeared from the screen since several weeks ago, but I had written down the first time). Turns out one of the IDs they had was from the first 3G TCU replacement, and the other SIM ID was from the newer one. Once they loaded the matching IDs into their database, within 1 hour my unit was working again.

Again, this may not apply to all, as there could be other issues, but at least mine apparently was not the 12V battery. I've had the radio work for a few days before then stop working, but it's been about two weeks now and have had full functionality. We'll see how long it lasts.

Woke up to an almost dead 12v battery this morning after leaving the car unplugged last night... With a trickle charger attached....

I was getting the same TCU error as a few posters ago too...

aminorjourney said:
Woke up to an almost dead 12v battery this morning after leaving the car unplugged last night... With a trickle charger attached....

I was getting the same TCU error as a few posters ago too...

Sounds like you just need to go ahead and replace the 12v battery. Once a lead acid battery has been deep discharged several times it just doesn't do as well anymore.

Yeah, that's where I'm going with mine. I'm waiting for my wife's flight to land, and then we'll probably sort something out this afternoon.

Car is currently in the garage in 'ready on' in an attempt to ensure the battery doesn't go flat before it need to use it ;)

I got mine replaces 199 plus taxes, from the car, i can connect to the carwings, update sign in etc.. but from the wepage and android app, i an not turn anything on, check battery level etc.. I can see my trips and how many trees i have saved.. I might just wait a bit if its still not working ill talk to N.EV..

I am taking my 2015 SV in Monday to the dealer in Lafayette, Indiana for the 3G Telematics upgrade. When I registered the (used) car @ Nissan.com, I was told the upgrade - hardware & labor would be free to me - 1st time Nissan owner. Can anyone please share their experiences, suggestions, or general 'watch-out-for's' - it's my 1st time dealing w/ a Nissan service department. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks and this forum is a wealth of knowledge!

stephenworkman said:
I am taking my 2015 SV in Monday to the dealer in Lafayette, Indiana for the 3G Telematics upgrade. When I registered the (used) car @ Nissan.com, I was told the upgrade - hardware & labor would be free to me - 1st time Nissan owner. Can anyone please share their experiences, suggestions, or general 'watch-out-for's' - it's my 1st time dealing w/ a Nissan service department. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated! Thanks and this forum is a wealth of knowledge!

Like all dealers YMMV.Each is an independently owned business. I have found that Nissan do keep their dealers on their toes by doing frequent customer satisfaction surveys, they can get dinged for poor service scores so the surveys help keep them honest.

My dealer service dept is awesome.

To followup on my post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=489376#p489376...
VitaminJ said:
nissanleaftechSD said:
The problem is that the TCU units are going into standby permanently. When I check the history data on them, they typically have been in standby for 2 weeks already.
Unfortunately we cannot tell customers to disconnect their batteries once in awhile as the permanent fix. Haha.
I have found that I can reset the TCU just by going into Carwings settings and "deleting all Carwings settings," then logging in with the ID and PW again, no reset needed. That has helped a few people in this thread and on facebook that I've talked to.
Unfortunately, this reset didn't help me. Car still cannot log in.

Nissan EV support still hasn't called me back to confirm the activation is ok or not on their end. Waiting for answer from them before my car goes back to the service dept.

update: I disconnected negative terminal of the 12 volt for over 30 minutes. Once reconnected, I did the above reset again, for good measure. No improvement. Still can't sign in w/the (Nissan provided) NissanConnect EV PIN and password from the "Please print these instructions..." page.

Side note: I was surprised that XM presets returned bit by bit but quickly. AM/FM presets were all still there. Trip odo was and miles/kWh were reset, of course. Eyebrow clock was only incorrect for under a minute but defaulted to 24 hour format, which I had to change.

Back