Ghosn retiring, will they change course with ev's?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

palmermd

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/cars/2017/02/22/carlos-ghosn-stepping-down-nissan-ceo/98278024/

i thought he would stay a little longer to see Leaf 2, but times change. Should be interesting.

i thought he would stay a little longer to see Leaf 2, but times change. Should be interesting.

Maybe having seen (and overseen the development of) Leaf 2 is why he's retiring. Maybe they're just waiting for after his party to release it. (IOW, maybe it's a Dud.)

The article clearly indicates that in 2012 he indicated he would only be CEO for 5 more years. And he is staying as Chairman. Not a typical move if someone is an embarrassment due to a mistake. Sounds like he has a successful transition plan having had a co-CEO for a while.

I for one am very happy with our Leaf. It put Nissan back on the map as a brand for me. And I am very hopeful for Leaf 2.0.

I guess I should have tread the TheUSA Today piece - I thought he was leaving. As for Leaf 2, at this point it will have to have 300 miles of range and cost $20k for me to consider it worth the wait. (Although I'd consider a hefty discount on one for waiting this long, if it has 200 miles and costs $37k.)

Ghosn retiring, will they change course with ev's?
Ghosn is certainly not retiring, and it sounds like he remains focused on bringing a common approach to EVs (among other programs) to the three individual companies and also the alliance as a whole, for all of which he retains his chairmanships.

Work to be done' at alliance level -- Ghosn
Focus on future 'not just as a company' amid industry consolidation

...Q: Being the chairman and CEO of the alliance, you may be involved in partnerships with other industries like IT (information technology) companies. Will that be your role as well?

A: (Ghosn) There are new products and technologies like electric cars, autonomous driving, driverless cars and connected cars. It is part of my role to make sure that these technologies could breakthrough, are well analyzed, studied and prepared at the level of the alliance, so these technologies can be used by Nissan, Renault and Mitsubishi to support their market offensive. So this is more an alliance's role, to make sure that the product of the future and the technology of the future is well prepared and well invested...
http://asia.nikkei.com/Business/Companies/Work-to-be-done-at-alliance-level-Ghosn

DarthPuppy said:
The article clearly indicates that in 2012 he indicated he would only be CEO for 5 more years. And he is staying as Chairman. Not a typical move if someone is an embarrassment due to a mistake. Sounds like he has a successful transition plan having had a co-CEO for a while.

I for one am very happy with our Leaf. It put Nissan back on the map as a brand for me. And I am very hopeful for Leaf 2.0.

^ ^ ^ THIS

Nissan (and Ghosn) finally put BEVs "on the map" after years of "lip service" by the major car manufacturers.
Name another major car manufacturer that has sold even half the number of EVs that Nissan has in the last 5 years.

The problem is that Nissan has done little in the ensuing six years to prevent them from becoming just an also-ran rather than a leader...

Stanton said:
Name another major car manufacturer that has sold even half the number of EVs that Nissan has in the last 5 years.

I didn't realize Nissan owned Mitsubishi or vice versa. Would love to have an Eclipse GSX EV. I loved my GST and that thing was a snow mob for me. I always wondered what the all wheel drive turbo version was like to drive.

Now owning two EVs I wonder what kind of AWD torque monster the Eclipse would be today. Something similar in size to the 95-99 and not as heavy as the last two gen models.

Seeing spy pics of the Leaf 2 it looks too high was hoping for a lower profile roof and lower coefficient drag.

At this point I don't see Nissan changing stance on EVs if anything they will make every car in their lineup a hybrid using what they have learned with the Leaf.

Back