Annual battery check cost? (yes I know the 1st 2 are free)

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I was really hoping that my 9th bar would drop before my anniversary, but I ended up paying for 1/2 hour at my dealer for my 4th battery test, and then a month later I dropped that 9th bar. :? Oh well, at least I get a new battery as a consolation prize.

mwalsh said:
Just dropping in to say that I did actually skip the annual battery check this year - coincidental to the anniversary of my in-service date they were pulling the old battery pack out and installing the brand new one, so (to myself) I'm like, "Umm...I really don't think that's necessary".

I'll need to make a decision if I want to donate my $60 to a dealer next September for my last test at approx. 95,000 miles.

I just was quoted 320.00 or more for an annual check. Battery, brake check, rotate tires, cabin filter. It seems like way to much after reading these posts.

asg123 said:
I just was quoted 320.00 or more for an annual check. Battery, brake check, rotate tires, cabin filter. It seems like way to much after reading these posts.

Definitely way too much! If you don't mind sharing, where are you located and what dealer quoted you that price?

When my dealer was not able to quote me a firm price for what amounts to reading data from the car's computer, I decided that the annual battery check was not for me. Because of that, I have not taken our LEAF in for the annual battery check after the first two free ones.

My leaf is 2012, bought last year, unsure if the battery checks were done while under the previous lease owner. I have till 12/2017 for the warranty, and am currently at 10 bars (waiting on my OBDII dongle to check leafspy stats). Since it seems there is a possibility of dropping two more bars, I'm going in for the batter checkup and wanted to share quotes.

As a data point, Hanlees Hilltop Nissan in Richmond, CA wants $160 for a battery check. I confirmed there are no other services besides battery check in this quote. They are crazy. Nissan Marin gave quoted $77, and Autocom Nissan of Concord quoted $45. The highest was > 3.5x the price of the lowest! But the good news is that it is possible to get reasonable and insane prices in the san francisco bay area, so call around first.

take said:
My leaf is 2012, bought last year, unsure if the battery checks were done while under the previous lease owner. I have till 12/2017 for the warranty, and am currently at 10 bars (waiting on my OBDII dongle to check leafspy stats). Since it seems there is a possibility of dropping two more bars, I'm going in for the batter checkup and wanted to share quotes.

As a data point, Hanlees Hilltop Nissan in Richmond, CA wants $160 for a battery check. I confirmed there are no other services besides battery check in this quote. They are crazy. Nissan Marin gave quoted $77, and Autocom Nissan of Concord quoted $45. The highest was > 3.5x the price of the lowest! But the good news is that it is possible to get reasonable and insane prices in the san francisco bay area, so call around first.

I am in nearly the exact same boat as take except I have just dropped to 9 bars and 51,000 mi. For reference, I'll give my experience.

Sunnyvale (California) Nissan gets $40 for a battery check. I noticed they touted that they include multi-point inspection, including tire pressure and depth check. Until I read this thread today, I thought they were just trying to jack up the price, now I am appreciative. This dealer is known to handle a lot of Leafs, I saw 10-15 go through in the time I sat at the dealer.

My service guy was quite anxious to replace my battery, he said I will have no problem losing one more bar in the 11 months or 8,000 miles on my battery warranty. He suggested I use an "express" charger (L3) twice a day and kill it quickly and there was one just outside the door. It seems battery replacement is a profitable service for them. When I mentioned I did not know the service history of the car, he dismissed the concern.

I have noticed that I don't get regenerative braking anymore, I was told this can be symptom of a weak battery. Their report claimed I still have regen and there are no error codes stored, so I am a bit unclear on that, it is not an official Nissan claim. It used to be I could drop it into ECO at any speed and feel it - no more.

FYI. Current price for annual (third year) EV Battery Usage Report at Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa, San Diego is $69.95

Hi all, I am the second owner of my 2015 and now have just under 50k miles (lost my first bar just the other day). I hadn't planned on getting the annual battery check, mostly due to the cost of it. One dealer near me quoted $160 for it.

I wondered, if the previous owner did not follow through with the battery checks (can my dealer access historical records of the checks?), would it even be worth it for me to start doing annual battery checks?

Thanks,

Mark

I don't have a good answer for you.

I am at 9 bars with just under 70,000 miles and vehicle is on 4th year of ownership, 2016 Leaf SV (30 kWh). Warranty for battery degradation says 8 years, 100,000 miles. I am second owner of vehicle - previous owner was personal lease, I assume annual battery check was done in 2017, 2018 during that 2 year lease.

I recently did my first annual battery check only because I believe I am eligible for a replacement under warranty.

My cost at dealership was $69.95 at Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa. Although many posters on this thread say not getting battery check won't make me ineligible, I figure this is a reasonable cost as "insurance" against any obstacles Nissan or dealership might throw at me. Plus this is first time I brought my vehicle into any place - plus they did recall fix: P9312 - leaf battery plate NTB19055. Also I received free rental car for the day while they performed recall. ...for science.

LeafSpy Pro says:
AHr 55.3
SOH 69.6%
Hx 37.4%
about 19.5 kWh at full charge
I dropped from 10 to 9 bar 6/2019 at SOH 72%

awhile said:
I don't have a good answer for you.

I am at 9 bars with just under 70,000 miles and vehicle is on 4th year of ownership, 2016 Leaf SV (30 kWh). Warranty for battery degradation says 8 years, 100,000 miles. I am second owner of vehicle - previous owner was personal lease, I assume annual battery check was done in 2017, 2018 during that 2 year lease.

I recently did my first annual battery check only because I believe I am eligible for a replacement under warranty.

My cost at dealership was $69.95 at Mossy Nissan Kearny Mesa. Although many posters on this thread say not getting battery check won't make me ineligible, I figure this is a reasonable cost as "insurance" against any obstacles Nissan or dealership might throw at me. Plus this is first time I brought my vehicle into any place - plus they did recall fix: P9312 - leaf battery plate NTB19055. Also I received free rental car for the day while they performed recall. ...for science.

LeafSpy Pro says:
AHr 55.3
SOH 69.6%
Hx 37.4%
about 19.5 kWh at full charge
I dropped from 10 to 9 bar 6/2019 at SOH 72%

Thanks for your response. I am needing to get the recall repair as well. Hopefully my local dealership has a reasonable price for the battery check. I am a big proponent of proper maintenance, however a battery check report is seemingly not truly maintenance...

Thanks again,

Mark

My 24 month maint is due 04/10/2020 and the battery plate recall scheduled on same date. Problem is COVID-19. My lungs are already shot and the virus would be the coffin nail. Called Nissan to see if time frame could be extended as I did not want warranty issues. They advised me it did not make any difference if warranty work was done. The maint schedule was purely a recommendation not a warranty requirement. Page 19 of maint guide states"Review of the battery usage report is required as a condition of EV battery warranty." Mixed signals here so I asked for email from Nissan to verify. They just sent me a case number and would not verify anything. Maybe I am just dense, but, can someone clarify what is happening here? :?

Hi all, I agree there are some mixed signals here. I just made an appointment for the battery plate recall as well and added the battery maintenance check (since I just lost my first batt bar at 48k miles). $80 at my local dealership - I asked for a deal or coupon and was told that was the deal 😳. Dealership wasn’t able to see if previous battery health checks had been performed. I’m the second owner.

I called Nissan EV customer care today to inquire about if not all battery health checks have been performed, if that would affect a future battery replacement. The customer service rep couldn't see the history if any battery checks had been performed, and I joked then why should I bother doing any. The rep I spoke with didn’t seem concerned about whether the checks were done or not. That is he did not state it was any type of requirement. I informed the rep that the warranty booklet stated they had to be done in order to have any future warranty service completed, he replied with a non-answer in return. I got the impression the person I spoke with was not very knowledgeable...

I was emailed a case number with no other details except the number. My plan was to call back another day to speak to another rep to see if I could get better/clearer information.

At this point, I’m willing to pay for one battery health check just out of curiosity to see what it brings. I don’t see myself doing it yearly, especially with the fact that the price will probably go up incrementally. It also seems redundant with LeafSpy.

Has there even been a lot of battery replacements under warranty? My local dealership stated they hadn’t done any.

Thanks all - be safe and stay well!

Mark.

At this point, I’m willing to pay for one battery health check just out of curiosity to see what it brings. I don’t see myself doing it yearly, especially with the fact that the price will probably go up incrementally. It also seems redundant with LeafSpy.

They don't tell you nearly as much as LeafSpy - unless you were wondering if you used your 12 volt accessories more than is typical. If you don't plan to move to Arizona, there likely is little point in spending the money, having gotten 48k miles from the first bar.

Back