2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
blimpy said:

My leaf spy pro seems to read 5% below the charge percentage on the dash.. which I assume corresponds to the
pack charging to 95% and stopping when the dash says 100 %.
LEAF Spy Pro is theoretical maximum SOC.
LEAF charging stops before theoretical maximum.

Dash adjusts to make max charge 100%.
I think dash 0% is either turtle or possibly dead in the water pack auto disconnect.

DaveinOlyWA said:
used 50 KW AV DCFC yesterday for the first time (keeping in mind NRG is a 40 KW charger for the most part) and some "interesting" numbers.
GID increased from 62 to 332 or 270 which is 77 wh/GID if using the 20.9 figure.

now thinking I have a bad LEAF Spy setting?
Problem is that the kWh displays in Leaf Spy I believe are all based upon the Wh per gid setting. As such, I pay no attention to any kWh readings in Leaf Spy. AFAIK, Nissan still has never publicly documented nor commented on any values retrieved on the CAN bus, let alone warranting or guaranteeing anything about the values or their accuracy/lack of (e.g. # of Wh per gids).
TimLee said:
blimpy said:

My leaf spy pro seems to read 5% below the charge percentage on the dash.. which I assume corresponds to the
pack charging to 95% and stopping when the dash says 100 %.
LEAF Spy Pro is theoretical maximum SOC.
LEAF charging stops before theoretical maximum.

Dash adjusts to make max charge 100%.
I think dash 0% is either turtle or possibly dead in the water pack auto disconnect.
Unless Leaf Spy retrieves and displays the value that the dash display uses, I would never expect them to match. '11 and '12 Leafs never even had a % SoC display. Whatever Leaf Spy uses was developed independently of the dash % SoC display, which is a black box to us.

As for the bolded part, before I had Leaf Spy, on my former Leaf, I had its % SoC display drop somewhere from 5% to 7% to - - - % :eek: while near home. I was afraid I'd fall short of reaching home and originally expected a count down to 1 or 2% w/turtle appearing around there.

I've not taken my current Leaf that low and now I do have Leaf Spy

Reddy said:
Heating of the battery might give a slightly higher "capacity ", just a thought.

Kelly Carmichael had an interesting theory where the kwh remaining was calculated using the lowest cell's voltage which makes sense since as soon as they hit the bottom threshold, the car stops no matter how much is left in the rest of the pack. the charge put in helped to balance the pack making the cells more even which in theory would bring more cells into the mix.

sound plausible?

DaveinOlyWA said:
Finished the charge and received 20.05 kwh per AV display
Nice - 40 kW average charge rate for 30 minutes? If you start with a full charge that means an easy 170 miles or so with a 30 min QC stop.

Sounds like the 30 kWh LEAF can easily handle more current - bring on 200A CHAdeMO!

In contrast, I squeezed out 54 miles to VLBW doing 55-60 mph on the freeway. A 30min QC might get me another 35 miles. Barely half the range of a new LEAF.

Dash % of charge indicator only reads down to 5%. Below 5% it shows ---. That's around 16-18 GIDs depending on your max charge value. VLB warning is at 7% and LB warning is 14% (actually 50 GIDs, appears to be hard coded in BMS). To get those last couple miles out safely, you need Leaf Spy. Since Turtle mode is controlled by the lowest cell value, you probably won't get all those last few GIDs out. I've driven my car down to turtle and the numbers get erratic at the bottom. Also battery voltage drops dramatically below VLB which isn't good for the battery.

At Turtle, the pack balance was terrible (65 mv) which also prevented me from squeezing the last few drops out.

drees said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
Finished the charge and received 20.05 kwh per AV display
Nice - 40 kW average charge rate for 30 minutes? If you start with a full charge that means an easy 170 miles or so with a 30 min QC stop.

Sounds like the 30 kWh LEAF can easily handle more current - bring on 200A CHAdeMO!

In contrast, I squeezed out 54 miles to VLBW doing 55-60 mph on the freeway. A 30min QC might get me another 35 miles. Barely half the range of a new LEAF.

it is VERY nice. Full speed charging between 47.5 to 48.8 KW charging up to around 75% but still running 32 KW at 83% and 20 KW at 91% when the 29 minute charge completed.

In my 2013, I was charging under 45 KW at 50% SOC....

johnlocke said:
Dash % of charge indicator only reads down to 5%. Below 5% it shows ---. That's around 16-18 GIDs depending on your max charge value. VLB warning is at 7% and LB warning is 14% (actually 50 GIDs, appears to be hard coded in BMS). To get those last couple miles out safely, you need Leaf Spy. Since Turtle mode is controlled by the lowest cell value, you probably won't get all those last few GIDs out. I've driven my car down to turtle and the numbers get erratic at the bottom. Also battery voltage drops dramatically below VLB which isn't good for the battery.

At Turtle, the pack balance was terrible (65 mv) which also prevented me from squeezing the last few drops out.

hit Turtle twice. once at 4 GIDs the other at 6 GIDs same car

DaveinOlyWA said:
Reddy said:
Heating of the battery might give a slightly higher "capacity ", just a thought.

Kelly Carmichael had an interesting theory where the kwh remaining was calculated using the lowest cell's voltage which makes sense since as soon as they hit the bottom threshold, the car stops no matter how much is left in the rest of the pack. the charge put in helped to balance the pack making the cells more even which in theory would bring more cells into the mix.

sound plausible?
Yes

Newbie New 2016 battery report.
11/25 395 mi on OD.
Charged to 96.7% ( didn't feel like beating the battery to get to 100%)
27.7 KwH
76.4 AH
49.2 F temp
358 Gids ( 100.3% gids)
DTE 100
cell voltage spread was 16mv.. became 12 mv

---
took car out ran it hard with the heater/defroster on
till it got down to 87%. let it sit overnight

--

11/26 Made usual run to local airport and back 35.6 miles about 15 fwy @ 60 mph : each way
Start 87% 48F outside
Arrive 55% Bat 56F
GOM start 90 End 60 ( pretty close but 10 mi down hill to start)
Heater on/off, lights, seats, wheel wipers ON
4.4 mi / KwH

Return 3.5 mi/ KwH
Start 49% 175 Gids ( 49% gids)
Arrive 6.2 % Gids 5.9%
GOM 6 miles ( 10 miles up hill)
Hit Low Battery Warning about 14% (?)
Hit V. Low Battery Warning about 10% 11 miles on GOM
Did not turtle !
1.6 KwH remaining

79.1 miles total

9.6 miles from home ( elv 1100 ft) I had 20% and 22 miles on the GOM
past experience told me it takes 16% to get home from that area
did it with 14% by crawling along pissing people off going 25 . .and coasting in N any time possible.

Next time I will go wait for a charger !
I am never sure why a volt needs to hog the chargers
but the same two are there every day.

Anyway... this fairly radical charge discharge did level out my cells to only a 10mv spread
vs 18 mv when I got the car 23 days ago.

Well, I just got my annual battery check done today. It was a joke. According to them, the battery is fine. A one page readout (no Consult II readout, just a few lines with stars saying the battery is good) with no actual numbers. The actual numbers are 318 GIDs at full charge, 69.67 AH, SOH = 87% Hx = 81.56%. 18813 mi as of this morning. The battery continues to deteriorate and at this rate will be lucky to see 2 more years and 60,000 mi before failing. Hardly the 80% at 100,000 mi that Nissan said would be typical or even 66% at 100K that the warranty claims (yes, I know that it's 8 bars technically and that isn't even well defined as to the actual value). I fully expect to drop the first bar by spring and a second bar by next fall. I think that I might be down 3 bars by next Christmas. If the battery lasts less than 50,000 miles, I'm going to be pissed and at this point I think that's a real possibility.

johnlocke said:
Well, I just got my annual battery check done today. It was a joke. According to them, the battery is fine. A one page readout (no Consult II readout, just a few lines with stars saying the battery is good) with no actual numbers.
Not surprising. The annual battery report has been known to be basically worthless to the customer ever since the first folks got theirs done.

Too bad it doesn't sounds like it's gotten any better.

JTim said:
Leaf SV 30 kWh purchased 12/10/15, Delivered 12/16/15
Leaf spy results 1/28/16 (took forever to find an ELM that worked)
Ar=74.5
SOH=93%
Hx=89.12
Odo=13 (at delivery), 547 (current), first trip of 103 miles (with two charge bars remaining, used over a week) 1/20/16
3 QC (the dealer must have done the first two), 13 L1/L2 (one charging event for 5 minutes to test new 240 outlet, all others prior to 1/28/16 were overnight L1).

Couldn't get a picture of the battery balancing bars on screen 1 for some reason, but I they look really out of whack (to me) so cells may be unbalanced.

UPDATE 12/10/16 (1 year update from Purchase)
Note that 12/15/16 will be the 1-year update from Delivery
and 1/28/16 will be the 1-year update from my first LeafSpy reading

update, not noted in original:
370.11 V
GIDs 354

average kW= 4.5

L1/L2 =13
QC = 3

2/18/16
GIDs 327, AR 71.55

December 10 Update:

Miles: 4,324
Time: 79 hrs, 48 min.
AH 67.54
SOH 84%
HX 81.82%
GIDS 192
QC 6
L1/L2 99
Average kW=4 to 4.5

Notes: As you can see, my travel is about 5-6 miles from home to work (one way there are some hills, but overall it is rather flat) with the rest of the trips going for groceries, shopping, etc. So both distance and time is way less than the EPA stated average of 38 miles for the average motorist. My first maintenance battery check will be scheduled shortly. Other maintenance includes the 240 outlet I had installed (130$ from a friend who is a certified electrician woo-hoo), the 24-am Clipper Creak EVSE (300$ ?), and my EVSEUpgrade to my factory original (another 130?), an 8 dollar car wash, and $22 for gas for a rental car while the Leaf was repaired for the tire puncture. So I think I may have spent around 500-600 dollars for the year compared to my old Prius which, due to its age and wear, was about $1000 a year.

Newby here.

I just bought a 2016 SL 303765 1 week ago that was about a year old on the lot with 275 miles.

It now has 717 miles and I have QCed once and charged to 100% on the trickle charger and now on my 6.6 kw GE charger cord.

iPhone Leaf spy says

316 GIDs 88.5%
393.9V
SOC 97.1%
24.5 kWh
69.35 AHr
87% SOH
84.39% Hx

3QC & 30 L1/L2

4.097 4.106 4.117 (20) mV

Do you think this will improve or should I be concerned??

Any way this is another data point

jbuntz said:
Newby here.

I just bought a 2016 SL 303765 1 week ago that was about a year old on the lot with 275 miles.

It now has 717 miles and I have QCed once and charged to 100% on the trickle charger and now on my 6.6 kw GE charger cord.

iPhone Leaf spy says

316 GIDs 88.5%
393.9V
SOC 97.1%
24.5 kWh
69.35 AHr
87% SOH
84.39% Hx

3QC & 30 L1/L2

based on your location (which really should be in your profile) and time on the lot, I am guessing you have permanent capacity loss

jbuntz said:
Newby here.

iPhone Leaf spy says

316 GIDs 88.5%
393.9V
SOC 97.1%

24.5 kWh
69.35 AHr
87% SOH
84.39% Hx

3QC & 30 L1/L2

You should read this whole thread others have experienced unusual capacity loss too with the 30kwh battery. They weren't all from hot climates either. I've only got 10k miles on my 30kwh Leaf SV and it's down to 93% SOH 336 GIDs and it didn't sit on the lot and has been in Minnesota. My Mother has a 2015 Leaf with 30k miles on it and still has 97% SOH, not looking too promising for the 30kwh battery.

Yesterday I drove to the dealer to drop off the Leaf and I covered 64.5 miles at 51 mph avg. the GOM showed 33 miles remaining. For those with a 100% 30kWh battery what would you expect to have remains. Also how many miles does it show on a full charge?!

Back