Capacity Loss on 2011-2012 LEAFs

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 2012 lost bar number 3 with 22,000 miles on it....now I am keeping it outside in the hot Las Vegas sun, and letting it go as low as I can before charging. When I drive I am flooring it for bursts and letting it regenerate to heat it up. I called Henderson Nissan to do its yearly battery check and they do not have a certified leaf mechanic on staff...so I had to go to the other side of town and they were clueless on what to do. Their person looked at the battery and noted it as 9 bars.....I have until 12-17-2017...... Hopefully I will lose another bar before then. Any tips to further degregate it sooner?

Tpsfoto said:
My 2012 lost bar number 3 with 22,000 miles on it....now I am keeping it outside in the hot Las Vegas sun, and letting it go as low as I can before charging. When I drive I am flooring it for bursts and letting it regenerate to heat it up. I called Henderson Nissan to do its yearly battery check and they do not have a certified leaf mechanic on staff...so I had to go to the other side of town and they were clueless on what to do. Their person looked at the battery and noted it as 9 bars.....I have until 12-17-2017...... Hopefully I will lose another bar before then. Any tips to further degregate it sooner?

I think you'll have no problem getting it before then. Sounds like you are doing what you can to keep the battery hot. I think recharging as soon as you get home is also good as it doesn't let the battery cool down any and keeps adding heat.

RegGuheert said:
RegGuheert said:
We just had an interesting month with our MY2011 with nearly 35,000 miles. July was quite hot with virtually each day above 90F. On top of that our garage was full, so our LEAF had to sit out in the sun the entire time. Mileage for this period was a bit above normal at about 850 miles. But rather than seeing a sharp drop in capacity on LeafSpy during this 31-day period, what I saw was basically the same capacity: 51.02Ah->51.04Ah.
Just a quick followup: Yesterday the LEAF reported 50.94Ah, so it has now dropped some.
Now 50.84Ah. I guess it was just a bit delayed.

Tpsfoto said:

I don't think you'll have any problem dropping the 4th bar next summer (before warranty expires).
Having said that, "flooring it" doesn't really do much good for the car in general, and charging immediately upon getting home will keep the battery a lot warmer than letting it sit. The more time it sits @100% in the heat, the better.
Good luck.

Tpsfoto said:

Tpsfoto,
I'm using United Nissan on Sahara. I have 2 fellow leaf owners out here that have had batteries swapped there and at Planet Nissan at Centennial. I myself have an appointment with United this week as my warranty is up this Friday and I am at 43.32 amps with bar 9 not letting go. I've been at bar 9 for 8 months; driving everyday with an extra 120-180 miles each weekend for the last 2 months.

Well it has taken a week for me to get around to coming on here, but I lost the 3rd bar a week ago at 45,467 miles on the clock and just a little under 4 years 5 months old. Car still seems to have between 48-52 usable miles with the HVAC running. Readings I took with LEAFDD are showing 45.61ahr, and 61.57hx. If I do make the 4 bar loss warranty it is going to be close. Doing everything I can to drive the wheels off the car at this point. :lol:

Hello everybody, few months ago I bought a used Leaf model 2011 (Registered April 2012), and a few days ago I installed leaf spy pro on my tablet to monitor the battery status.
But I do not understand much, I wanted to ask you if my car is fine, the data that are read 53000Km, Gids 196, AHr 48.708, SOH 74%, Hx 53.78 with charging to 100% and I have 2 bars lost.
Consider that I live in Sicily with summer temperatures 30 to 40 degrees and in winter from 10 to 20 degrees.
What is strange is that I can not do more than 100km on a single charge, its normal ???

Thank you all

Welcome, Andrealta!

Yes, unfortunately, it is normal. Our 2011 was registered in March 2012, but was a demo for six months before then. Your LEAF has lost a bit more capacity than ours (currently at 50.66 Ah), even though you have slightly less mileage on the car (we're at 56,500 km). The slight difference in capacity is almost certainly due to the slightly higher temperatures in Sicily versus Washington, DC, where we are.

Good luck with your new-to-you LEAF!

AndreaIta said:
Hello everybody, few months ago I bought a used Leaf model 2011 (Registered April 2012), and a few days ago I installed leaf spy pro on my tablet to monitor the battery status.
But I do not understand much, I wanted to ask you if my car is fine, the data that are read 53000Km, Gids 196, AHr 48.708, SOH 74%, Hx 53.78 with charging to 100% and I have 2 bars lost.
Consider that I live in Sicily with summer temperatures 30 to 40 degrees and in winter from 10 to 20 degrees.
What is strange is that I can not do more than 100km on a single charge, its normal ???

Thank you all

Use leafspy while driving to determine if you can not do more than 100km on a charge. Change the setting on "reserve" to be equal to 0.5 kWh which is when the car is no longer drivable. If leafspy is showing more than 0.5 kWh remaining when you stop driving you didn't drive it to empty.

As to your numbers SOH 74% means you have 26% less charge than a brand new one. That's a pretty weak pack, of course mine is at 75% SOH so it's no better really.

You should be losing your 3rd bar this summer and the 4th bar some time next year. The car will still be drivable even then but the range you can drive in km will be less every month.

AndreaIta said:
Ok and now the question, when battery need to change? And how much cost?
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=17168

However, from your other post, you don't live in the US, so we don't know about your prices.

Can you update your location info via your user name in the upper right > User Control Panel > Profile tab? That way, we don't need to ask in future posts/threads or do sleuthing to deduce it.

As for "when", well, its depends on whether you want to spend the money and when the Leaf with its existing capacity is/isn't enough to meet your range autonomy needs.

This post applies only to 2011 and 2012. I'm a new member. I have a 2011 LEAF SL that is about to run out of warranty. I bought LEAF Spy Pro several months ago and have been monitoring my batteries. Spy says I never charge to 100%. It ranges from 88 to 96% based on how far I've driven. It shows all the bars but Spy's State-of-Charge says I don't charge all the way. Am I the only one experiencing this?

My belief is Nissan uses %Capacity/(State-of-Charge * 100) to determine Battery State of health. The resulting number is what they use to set the number of bars on the dash. If they never charge to 100%, I contend the inability to fully charge amounts to a loss of battery capacity. I'm about to run out of warranty in seven days and would like to have confirmation the software on my LEAF is limiting the charge. My spreadsheet shows the % charge goes down as fewer miles are driven. Drive 10 mile and charge results in less than 90% State-of-Charge

I believe Nissan changed my software to limit full charge when they limited type 3 chargers to 80% maybe three years ago.

I want to take this too the local media but I'd like some feedback first.

Also, can somebody verify the State-of-Charge number is what is read directly from the LEAF computer?

Thank you
Greg

The battery management system (BMS) is programmed to charge the pack to no more than 95% or so even when it indicates to the driver that it is at 100% (this SOC display started on the 2013 Leaf). While Nissan may have played with the capacity calculations, it is not entirely this that you are seeing.

Sykora1 said:
This post applies only to 2011 and 2012. I'm a new member. I have a 2011 LEAF SL that is about to run out of warranty. I bought LEAF Spy Pro several months ago and have been monitoring my batteries. Spy says I never charge to 100%. It ranges from 88 to 96% based on how far I've driven. It shows all the bars but Spy's State-of-Charge says I don't charge all the way. Am I the only one experiencing this?

My belief is Nissan uses %Capacity/(State-of-Charge * 100) to determine Battery State of health. The resulting number is what they use to set the number of bars on the dash. If they never charge to 100%, I contend the inability to fully charge amounts to a loss of battery capacity. I'm about to run out of warranty in seven days and would like to have confirmation the software on my LEAF is limiting the charge. My spreadsheet shows the % charge goes down as fewer miles are driven. Drive 10 mile and charge results in less than 90% State-of-Charge

I believe Nissan changed my software to limit full charge when they limited type 3 chargers to 80% maybe three years ago.

I want to take this too the local media but I'd like some feedback first.

Also, can somebody verify the State-of-Charge number is what is read directly from the LEAF computer?

Thank you
Greg

There is no big conspiracy... If you go research lithium battery charging the first thing you'll learn is that you never want to charge to 100% or discharge to 0% which is why every production BEV has a reserved at the top and bottom and your LEAF has been doing this since its first charged.

SOC is in fact a number read from the LEAF.

Also there is no limit that CHAdeMO charging can not go past 80%, I do this often and have the latest updates.

I can confirm that the software on your LEAF limits the charge, if it didn't have limits your battery could explode.

"My belief is Nissan uses %Capacity/(State-of-Charge * 100) to determine Battery State of health."

That would be an incorrect belief since the state of health doesn't change based on the state or charge.

Let us know if that doesn't answer all your questions.

Well, just lost my 4th bar today, just 2 months out of capacity warranty.

Final numbers:
Mileage: 53k
AHr: 43.3
Hx: 45.0
Last 100% / 80% GIDs: 186 / 152

Drove the car 50 miles today at 4.5mi/kWh down to 25.6% SOC and 37 GIDs. Normally hit LBW around 30 miles on 80% charge and 45 miles on 100% charge.

I am attempt to get how many kWh to charge from turtle to 100% to get an independent verification of capacity loss.

LeftieBiker said:
Are you going to try for a partial reimbursement for a new pack from Nissan?
drees have dealer document loss as soon as possible.

See my details on complete replacement two weeks past warranty at http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=14102&start=1060#p467550.

Good luck with CSR.

Might be useful to let them know you are a diligent well respected moderator on mynissanleaf.com that has done a huge amount to support the LEAF community.
We appreciate all your hard work.

Yes, I will take it to the dealer first and see what happens from there. Frankly, I'd be satisfied if Nissan offered partial compensation, which was what I tried to push for at part of the Nissan LAB group almost two years ago. The all or nothing aspect of the warranty sucks for something you can watch slowly wither away.

drees said:
Yes, I will take it to the dealer first and see what happens from there. Frankly, I'd be satisfied if Nissan offered partial compensation, which was what I tried to push for at part of the Nissan LAB group almost two years ago. The all or nothing aspect of the warranty sucks for something you can watch slowly wither away.
I agree completely.

No proration was a big mistake by Nissan.

When I talked to CSR I was guessing they might offer 50% like another person got or maybe 75%.

But I was very close at two weeks and only 34,000 miles.

I stayed very business like and on point and calm.
Chris was top notch we probably talked 8 to 10 minutes on a Friday.
He said he would let me know in three business days.
He called me back Tuesday with the good news.

Replacement went smoothly.
Two to three hours for dealer to process replacement order.

Arrived in about six weeks.
About five hours to swap.
Three hours one day.
Loaner Versa Note (dreadful car).
Two hours next day picked it up.
Mountain View service department is superb.
Bought my second brake fluid flush too.

Back