Charger unit lights all flashing. Help please

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

avnerNZ

Hi all. Just got a 2014 Japanese import Leaf. Replaced the Japanese plug with a local 15amp one.
The charger starts off normal, with all 3 lights coming on for half a sec, then green light.
However, when connected to the car all three lights flash (on the charger unit, not the car)
And it shows charging at about 1.5kw rather than the normal 3.3kw
Any suggestions?

Japanese voltage isn't the same, for house current, IIRC. Also, it isn't clear whether you mean the included portable EVSE (charging cable) or something else like an aftermarket EVSE. You may need to buy a 120 volt EVSE, which can be found used.

Lots of New Zealand charging info here

http://driveelectric.org.nz/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/NZ-Electric-Car-Guide-5April2016.pdf

avnerNZ said:
Hi all. Just got a 2014 Japanese import Leaf. Replaced the Japanese plug with a local 15amp one.
The charger starts off normal, with all 3 lights coming on for half a sec, then green light.
However, when connected to the car all three lights flash (on the charger unit, not the car)
Any suggestions?

You've got an earthing fault, sounds like - not safe to use. Lots of dodgy replacements of the japanese plug with an nz one, some by dealers who don;t know what they are doing. Did the japanese plug have a thermal resistor in it?

What sort of 15A plug is now on the EVSE? A caravan type, or just a standard plug with a heavier earth pin?

Is the EVSE hot (or socket or cable nearby) when your lights are flashing?

Suggestions:
If you just got the car, and you are sure your house supply-side socket is safe (and legal) i.e. a sparkie put it in, go back to the dealer if they changed the plug.
See the post from Foschas to see what you can replace your EVSE with, that works.
If you are on Facebook, read/join the NZ EV Owners group - lots of imported Leaf issues discussed there by knowledgeable owners.

hieronymous said:
avnerNZ said:
Any suggestions?

You've got an earthing fault, sounds like - not safe to use. Lots of dodgy replacements of the japanese plug with an nz one, some by dealers who don;t know what they are doing. Did the japanese plug have a thermal resistor in it?

What sort of 15A plug is now on the EVSE? A caravan type, or just a standard plug with a heavier earth pin?

Suggestions:
If you just got the car, and you are sure your house supply-side socket is safe (and legal) i.e. a sparkie put it in, go back to the dealer if they changed the plug.
See the post from Foschas to see what you can replace your EVSE with, that works.
If you are on Facebook, read/join the NZ EV Owners group - lots of imported Leaf issues discussed there by knowledgeable owners.

Thanks for all the good info. I understand earthing problems are indicated by flashing green light only, and no charging taking pkace. This is not the case as some charging is hapoening and all lights flashing on the EVSE charger that came with the car.
It has a standard nz 15amp plug with the fat earth, and not warming up. Tested at two households.
Tha Jaoanese p,ug did have two thin yellow wires in addition to the regular three. Does not using them affect the evse?

Thanks again

avnerNZ said:
hieronymous said:
avnerNZ said:
Any suggestions?

Suggestions:

Thanks for all the good info. I understand earthing problems are indicated by flashing green light only, and no charging taking pkace. This is not the case as some charging is hapoening and all lights flashing on the EVSE charger that came with the car.
It has a standard nz 15amp plug with the fat earth, and not warming up. Tested at two households.
Tha Jaoanese p,ug did have two thin yellow wires in addition to the regular three. Does not using them affect the evse?

Thanks again

I have located a manual reference which says if green flashing, orange in any state, red flashing, then either the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to determine the temperature of the electrical plug I.e. the Japanese plug. My understanding is that the Japanese plug does contain a thermal resistor, now absent, so I suspect your symptoms are caused by this condition.

I don't know if this can be fixed - I suspect you may have to buy another EVSE. Again, see the Facebook group forum I mentioned above, where this has certainly been discussed. MY Leaf was sold new in NZ (Aussie) so was set up for 240 volts,, and I didn't have this problem. Some Leaf EVSE's don't have the thermal resistor, so avoid this issue, also.

hieronymous said:
avnerNZ said:
hieronymous said:

Suggestions:

Thanks again

I have located a manual reference which says if green flashing, orange in any state, red flashing, then either the electrical plug is too hot, or the EVSE is unable to determine the temperature of the electrical plug I.e. the Japanese plug. My understanding is that the Japanese plug does contain a thermal resistor, now absent, so I suspect your symptoms are caused by this condition.

I don't know if this can be fixed - I suspect you may have to buy another EVSE. Again, see the Facebook group forum I mentioned above, where this has certainly been discussed. MY Leaf was sold new in NZ (Aussie) so was set up for 240 volts,, and I didn't have this problem. Some Leaf EVSE's don't have the thermal resistor, so avoid this issue, also.

Hello again,
Your diagnosis was spot-on. I am very grateful indeed.

avnerNZ said:
hieronymous said:
avnerNZ said:

Thanks again

Hello again,
Your diagnosis was spot-on. I am very grateful indeed.

How did you fix it? I have exactly the same problem....

Hi

I'm also having the same problem where all lights in the Charger uni flashing. Can someone let me know how did you resolve the same.

Sanath

Back