How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel like I'm dragging my face in the sand trying to get mine to fail before Summer ends.

44.01 Ahr
67%SOH
41.99Hx
55,690 Miles
9 Months warranty remaining.

Almost every weekend I do probably 4 or 5 QC sessions each day of Saturday and Sunday. Each day putting me at 10 temp bars and very reduced acceleration until the next morning. Our daily highs have been High 90's to low 100's. Evenings looking to be about 80F. I bought my Leaf second hand from a dealer who had no knowledge of the car. Leaf Spy was extremely handy during the "Sales Dance".

Quick update, my Nissan Leaf finally lost it's 4th capacity bar at 55,800 miles and 2 weeks before the Leaf 5 year birthday, the dealer has opened a warranty claim against Nissan and soon the Leaf will be getting a replacement battery, here are the reading at full charge (4th capacity bar loss) 41.08 AH, 65.86 G% and 182 grids.

vgonzalez said:
Quick update, my Nissan Leaf finally lost it's 4th capacity bar at 55,800 miles and 2 weeks before the Leaf 5 year birthday, the dealer has opened a warranty claim against Nissan and soon the Leaf will be getting a replacement battery, here are the reading at full charge (4th capacity bar loss) 41.08 AH, 65.86 G% and 182 grids.

Congrats! That's super exciting. Seeing where people are dropping bars though is making it look like I won't make it in time. I'm hopeful though.

Keep driving the puppy hard, no eco, AC at full, quick charge several times a day then go home and complete the charge to 100% so it can elevate the battery temperature, always park in the sun, in my opinion elevating the battery temperature by doing quick charges one after another is your best bet, but I am not an expert on this electric car, this is what I have been doing.. When I get the replacement battery I need to to the opposite, it is going to be difficult to change my behavior, this Leaf is fast, but I am asking myself who cares let drive this leaf hard and enjoy life (we are only here in this planet for a short period of time)

vgonzalez said:
how many miles does the Leaf have, if you are low on miles then get a part time doing uber or lyft.

I have about 55,900 miles. I am an Uber driver in my Honda, I may be able to switch over pretty easily.

BradFoxUS said:
Almost every weekend I do probably 4 or 5 QC sessions each day of Saturday and Sunday. Each day putting me at 10 temp bars and very reduced acceleration until the next morning. Our daily highs have been High 90's to low 100's. Evenings looking to be about 80F. I bought my Leaf second hand from a dealer who had no knowledge of the car. Leaf Spy was extremely handy during the "Sales Dance".

I have no doubt you will make it with summer in full swing. The excessive QC's may actually be delaying the 4th bar drop. Sounds like you're driving it hard enough. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get to 100% charge so long as it bakes in the heat overnight.

So I just dropped bar 9. But based on the charts it should have dropped a month or two ago.

2011 LEAF, 10/21/2011 in service date, so 11 weeks left.
35.3K miles
AHr: 46.97
SOC: 47%
Hx: 51.1%
GIDs: 96

I hope to be able to qualify for a new pack as the car is well below the 60k mile limit. I may be moving and my commute is getting much further. I do get to charge at work for free and my slot is mid day so having a full battery for the ride home is crucial for me at this time.

I did want to let you guys know the chat session on the Nissan owners web site provided my in-service date pretty quickly. They confirmed I would still be under warranty and I was able to printout my chat session.

Stanton said:
BradFoxUS said:

I have no doubt you will make it with summer in full swing. The excessive QC's may actually be delaying the 4th bar drop. Sounds like you're driving it hard enough. Doesn't matter how long it takes to get to 100% charge so long as it bakes in the heat overnight.

Thanks, and the pack has not reported a temperature below 102F yet. Seems to be that temp even when it dips down to 78F around 4AM. Right before the temps start to rocket back up to the low 100's.

I'm searching this site for the exact opposite info as this thread (and will keep looking). Can anyone point me to info about the maximum storage temperature allowed/advised to avoid battery degradation? We have 8 Leafs in stock that we'll be reselling but they are going to sit for a little while. Luckily we have a climate controlled warehouse, but it is very expensive to cool the large space. Outside temps this week are hitting 107F.

We obviously have LeafSpy and I'm about to go over to the warehouse and check battery temps on the cars which have not been driven since they rolled off a car hauler. The cars are all 2013 and 2014's with 12 bars and miles ranging from 16-39K. We purposely bought 12 bar cars because we'd have a tough time selling one with less than 11 bars to a customer (having lived thru the pain of 9 bars in our personal 2013 Leaf).

Note that our storage facility is in the Central Valley of California where temperatures exceed 100F+ in the summer. Our customers are 80 miles to the west in the SF Bay Area where the temps are a beautiful and Leaf friendly 75-85F today.

Again, my primary question is what is the optimal range for Leaf storage so we can try to stay at or near the top end of that range this week without spending hundreds of dollars on cooling the warehouse.

I found a thread that covers the topic of storage and will move my question over there. I also need to find info about operating the Leaf during periods of very high temps.

It's crazy, but used Leafs are a popular used car in the Central Valley...mostly because they are dirt cheap. I see at least one 2013+ zipping around daily. We will never sell one to a Customer here based on our bad experience with our 2013. I have not kept up with all the details, but I'm assuming operating even the newer cars with "lizard batteries" in a 100F+ environment will rapidly degrade the battery. Is this is a correct assumption?

Motarra said:
I found a thread that covers the topic of storage and will move my question over there. I also need to find info about operating the Leaf during periods of very high temps.

It's crazy, but used Leafs are a popular used car in the Central Valley...mostly because they are dirt cheap. I see at least one 2013+ zipping around daily. We will never sell one to a Customer here based on our bad experience with our 2013. I have not kept up with all the details, but I'm assuming operating even the newer cars with "lizard batteries" in a 100F+ environment will rapidly degrade the battery. Is this is a correct assumption?
That seems to be the case, as the few people who've gotten lizard battery replacements and who monitored their original and new batteries mostly didn't see any significant improvement in hot climates. Personally, I wouldn't consider a BEV in the Central Valley if it didn't have active liquid cooling, and the LEAF doesn't. As for storage temps, below 80F (above freezing - 50s is ideal) and probably more important, no more than 80% State of Charge. IIRR 30-50% SoC is the recommended storage SoC range per Nissan. Be sure to check the wiki, info compiled by people here: http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery#Medium_to_Long-Term_Storage

and

http://www.electricvehiclewiki.com/Battery_Capacity_Loss#Real_World_Battery_Capacity_Losses

GRA, Thanks for the link regarding long term storage. Just curious what does "IIRC" stand for in your post?

Does anyone know exactly when the first bar is lost? It obviously cannot be measured by mileage. Does it happen at a specific SOH?

Motarra said:
GRA, Thanks for the link regarding long term storage. Just curious what does "IIRC" stand for in your post?
If I Recall Correctly
Does anyone know exactly when the first bar is lost? It obviously cannot be measured by mileage. Does it happen at a specific SOH?
First bar is 15%.
Others are 6.25%.
Brand new was 66.25 Ah.
So first is around 56 Ah.
But there is some variation in the ranges observed.
You can expect loss of the 9th bar (generally speaking) at between 42AHr and 43.5AHr.

But is some delay in bar loss.
Once you have hit the threshold it can be two to six weeks before capacity bar drops.
They drop quicker if battery temps are high.
Above 90F to 100F.

AHr: 41.69
SOH: 63%
Hx: 42.27
58,598 miles

I've seen a few threads where people have lost the fourth bar well before my stats. I'm growing very concerned considering I'll hit 60,000 by this weekend.

Yes, you should have. Most agree it should drop around 42.5 Ahr. DO NOT drive the car beyond 59,999 mi. Save some miles to get to the dealership. Charge to 100% and leave it in the heat, next to a white/aluminum siding building with reflected heat. Good luck.

I wish I could just stop driving but that may not be an option. Maybe I'll be like that one guy that lost it at 59996.

Back