Dryer Buddy – 240v outlet splitter for EV charging station for sale

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VegasBrad

Dryer Buddy – 240v outlet splitter for EV charging station for sale

The Dryer Buddy allows you to share your dryer outlet with your EVSE. This allows both to share the 30A circuit. As running a Dryer on no-heat/tumble-dry doesn't use nearly as much power as high heat, a ammeter is included so you may see how much current your dryer uses and you can use the rest to charge your car! Or just charge at night when not doing laundry and use the full circuit to charge your car. Great for apartment dwellers, temp housing or a easy hookup at a friend’s/relatives house. Dryer Buddy is housed in a very solid 6x6x4 PVC gray box.

Each Dryer Buddy has a plug and two outlets; here are a few of the most popular ones:

Dryer Buddy #1 $143.70 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• A NEMA 10-30 plug w/5ft. cable
• This was the common dryer plug before 1996.
• Two NEMA 10-30 outlets
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #2 $157.15 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• A NEMA 14-30 plug w/5ft. cable
• This is the common dryer plug used in 1996 and up.
• Two NEMA 14-30 outlets
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #3 $164.80 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One L6-30 twist-lock outlet
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #4 $149.95 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• kWh meter, provide volts & amps but adds wattage and kilowatt hours (kWh) which is stored and can be reset.
Dryer Buddy #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

Dryer Buddy #5 $159.15 Allows you to share your dryer’s 4-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 14-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #6 $155.60 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One L6-30 twist-lock outlet
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #7 $156.38 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA L14-30 twist-lock outlet
• kWh meter

Dryer Buddy #12 $160.28 Allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 6-20 outlet
• kWh meter

All the Dryer Buddy's are available in a Plus version. The Plus version is a 2-way switcher that adds a high current relay and power supply inside to power only one outlet at a time. Any Dryer Buddy can be upgraded to a Plus version.

Here is one example:

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 $264.00 A 2-way switcher that allows you to share your dryer’s 3-prong outlet. Build with;
• One NEMA 10-30 outlet
• One NEMA 14-50 outlet
• High power relay, illuminated rocker switch
• kWh meter, provide volts & amps but adds wattage and kilowatt hours (kWh) which is stored and can be reset.

Dryer Buddy Plus #4 is basically a Dryer Buddy Plus #1 with a 14-50 outlet instead of the 2nd 10-30 outlet so you don’t have to buy an adapter in addition and a step up to the kWh meter.

Shipping is $18.00 anywhere in the continental USA.

I can customize a Dryer Buddy for you with which ever plug/socket combo you would like and the meter of your choice or no meter. Private message me if you have any questions or would like to make a purchase.

I offer a 2 Year Parts and Labor Warranty on all my Dryer Buddy's

I get a lot of inquires about custom builds. YES I definitely take orders for anything you would like to see in your EVSE or Dryer Buddy.

Dryer Buddy #1

Dryer Buddy #2

Dryer Buddy #3

Dryer Buddy #4

Dryer Buddy Plus #4

In Dryer outlet mode

In EVSE outlet mode

Demo video of Dryer Buddy Plus #4:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBPjUEgQUps

I worked hard on a nice PDF featuring some of the EVSE's I build and accessories. Check it out here for current pricing:
http://tinyurl.com/bsaelectronics

smkettner said:
I want a load shed Dryer Buddy. Even better would be a combo Buddy-EVSE that will drop charging current to keep the shared load under 25 amps.

That would be a cool product. Technically it's possible using an OpenEVSE based Electric Vehicle Charging Station with customized firmware and a 2nd current transformer coil to read the dryer outlet. OpenEVSE is open source so anyone can contribute, it's based on the Arduino Uno. I haven't delved that far into OpenEVSE programming to create a feature like this.

Hey guys, I found a few typos in this Dryer Buddy list that I corrected, my apologies

DB #5 includes a kWh meter instead of the base V/A meter
DB #4 has always had one 10-30 and one 14-50 outlet but showed a 10-50 here.
DB #4 Plus version had the same mistake.
DB #7 didn't list the second outlet.

Hope everyone is have a great summer!

kfckrew said:
Is the LCD light on all the time? On the Amp/Volt Meter. Looks bright.

Hi kfckrew,

On the V/A meter yes it's constant. The kWh meter is switchable by pressing the OK button and even remembers state between power outages. I can substitute the kWh meter for any V/A meter equipped Dryer Buddy for $2 more.

Nice work. I tried to build one of these for myself a few years ago and have a box of pieces, I never put it together.

I hope I need one of these again in the future so I can buy one from you.

EVDrive said:
Nice work. I tried to build one of these for myself a few years ago and have a box of pieces, I never put it together.

I hope I need one of these again in the future so I can buy one from you.

Thank you sir! I work hard to build useful accessories for fellow Ev'ers at a reasonable price.

Back