How long 'til 4th bar drops?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
joebrod said:
Are these numbers presented in the app? all the time or only when the battery is chartered or depleted?

They show on the first screen where it shows all of the little blue lines in the graph near the top. It shows whenever the car is on charge or when the car is powered on. Basically, whenever the car is "Active"

Skip said:
Taking Bets -- Currently at 59,375 miles. :|

AHR Date
46.59 12/7/2015
46.33 1/20/2016
45.47 3/9/2016
45.32 3/28/2016
45.07 4/6/2016
44.93 4/16/2016
44.67 4/20/2016
44.5 5/1/2016
44.3 5/13/2016
44.15 5/19/2016

SOH 67%

Hx 46.31

U should be there soon....u should have enough miles left till u hit 60k, at this point it's more heating that battery pack up, keep it warm and longer the better.

Hi guys I am new to the leaf forum. I have been part of Bmw, Honda, Mercedes forums but electric forum is all new to me.

I recently purchased a 2011 leaf, first ev automobile ever owned so far I love it, just don't like the range.

I purchased my leaf with 9 bars, had no idea about battery life, warranty etc until I did some research, when finished reading blogs online and battery issues I was about to put the car up for sale when I just purchased it.
But as I thought about it even though my range is not as good as a new leaf and I'm saving money on gas may as well keep it and drive it.
As time went on I realized I am not that far out for receiving a battery replacement well from what the forum a/hr ranges to drop the 9th bar.
Purchased the car with 42,000 miles and finally the 9th bar dropped with almost 48,000 miles. My 9th dropped at:
A/hr was 43.42
Hx: 45.12%
Soc: 64%
Gids: 179

I tried whatever to bring the 9th bar down, I tried the qc at first but realized I was just wasting money. I bought a turbo cord from Amazon which is a level 2 charger and worked fine to bring it down I'm assuming.
I always made a point to run this car on the freeway at 80-85mph a few exits to really drain and warm up the battery. I always pushed the accelerator hard just like the rest of the forum said In the forum "like u stole it. " The front tires were pretty much new when I bought the car I put on almost 6k miles and the tires on the front are almost bald, shows you how hard I pushed it everywhere I went. I made a point to align the car when I first purchased it so I know the alignment was not out of whack to wear out the tires. The leaf has so much torque u can just hear the rubber ripping off the tire as u stomp on the accelerator pedal. Another annoying thing I would do was push on and off repeatedly on the gas pedal prob up to 8 times during the driving session.
Couple drives involving the qc was leave your house fully charged drive the car to about half full of range then Find a qc station and charge it up to 100% take it off when it's fully charged drive 2 minutes and go back to the same qc machine and charge it up again. This will bring the temperature up pretty fast. Do some more driving but the time you get home throw the car on level 2 charger at home and slowly heat up the battery at home some more. I noticed I come out the next morning the battery temp was still high. It takes some time for the battery to really cool down to bring it down back to 5 bars, when warm I only got up to 6 bars highest for me but it would stay there a while. I think that's when the battery life depletes the most, sitting at the high temp and time. every couple of days I would check leaf spy and noticed it was dropping pretty quick, it would drop anywhere from .2 to .8 in a matter of a couple of days.
Long story short my 9th bar just dropped 2 days ago and I'm bringing it to the dealer on Monday to confirm it really did. I was curious from other cars going in for replacement batteries did they ever deny batteries even if it dropped the 9th? Worried I bring it in Monday and they say no I'm sorry we can't honor the warranty.
Please let me know how the appt is gonna go, when I was on the phone with him he said it'll take two seconds I just drive it back their show the tech and come back out. Is it that quick to verify? Do they scan anything or just look at the 9th bar missing?

Thanks guys hope my experience can help anyone else with their battery replacement. Any questions with anything feel free to message me.

Thanks!!

Not to be a Downer, but do you know the car's 'In service date'? The capacity warranty lasts exactly 5 years or 60k miles from that date (whichever ends first), which is usually well after the date of manufacture.

LeftieBiker said:
Not to be a Downer, but do you know the car's 'In service date'? The capacity warranty lasts exactly 5 years or 60k miles from that date (whichever ends first), which is usually well after the date of manufacture.

Have till end of August this year...I took the car in 2 months ago complaining about the range they said the battery is good since it was 9 bars still. They said if it drops down one more bring it back in and go from there.

Slope8888 said:
LeftieBiker said:

Have till end of August this year...I took the car in 2 months ago complaining about the range they said the battery is good since it was 9 bars still. They said if it drops down one more bring it back in and go from there.
Yes. You will need to lose the 4th capacity bar (be down to 8 bars) within 5 years/60K miles of original in-service date to qualify for free replacement battery at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=13192. If it happens before that period, bring it to the dealer immediately to have them make a record of it. DO NOT DELAY and let the warranty expire!

Since you have range complaints, if you want, please answer http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11591&p=275421#p275421 in another thread.

Slope8888 said:
Hi guys I am new to the leaf forum. I have been part of Bmw, Honda, Mercedes forums but electric forum is all new to me.

I recently purchased a 2011 leaf, first ev automobile ever owned so far I love it, just don't like the range.

I purchased my leaf with 9 bars, had no idea about battery life, warranty etc until I did some research, when finished reading blogs online and battery issues I was about to put the car up for sale when I just purchased it.
But as I thought about it even though my range is not as good as a new leaf and I'm saving money on gas may as well keep it and drive it.
As time went on I realized I am not that far out for receiving a battery replacement well from what the forum a/hr ranges to drop the 9th bar.
Purchased the car with 42,000 miles and finally the 9th bar dropped with almost 48,000 miles. My 9th dropped at:
A/hr was 43.42
Hx: 45.12%
Soc: 64%
Gids: 179

I tried whatever to bring the 9th bar down, I tried the qc at first but realized I was just wasting money. I bought a turbo cord from Amazon which is a level 2 charger and worked fine to bring it down I'm assuming.
I always made a point to run this car on the freeway at 80-85mph a few exits to really drain and warm up the battery. I always pushed the accelerator hard just like the rest of the forum said In the forum "like u stole it. " The front tires were pretty much new when I bought the car I put on almost 6k miles and the tires on the front are almost bald, shows you how hard I pushed it everywhere I went. I made a point to align the car when I first purchased it so I know the alignment was not out of whack to wear out the tires. The leaf has so much torque u can just hear the rubber ripping off the tire as u stomp on the accelerator pedal. Another annoying thing I would do was push on and off repeatedly on the gas pedal prob up to 8 times during the driving session.
Couple drives involving the qc was leave your house fully charged drive the car to about half full of range then Find a qc station and charge it up to 100% take it off when it's fully charged drive 2 minutes and go back to the same qc machine and charge it up again. This will bring the temperature up pretty fast. Do some more driving but the time you get home throw the car on level 2 charger at home and slowly heat up the battery at home some more. I noticed I come out the next morning the battery temp was still high. It takes some time for the battery to really cool down to bring it down back to 5 bars, when warm I only got up to 6 bars highest for me but it would stay there a while. I think that's when the battery life depletes the most, sitting at the high temp and time. every couple of days I would check leaf spy and noticed it was dropping pretty quick, it would drop anywhere from .2 to .8 in a matter of a couple of days.
Long story short my 9th bar just dropped 2 days ago and I'm bringing it to the dealer on Monday to confirm it really did. I was curious from other cars going in for replacement batteries did they ever deny batteries even if it dropped the 9th? Worried I bring it in Monday and they say no I'm sorry we can't honor the warranty.
Please let me know how the appt is gonna go, when I was on the phone with him he said it'll take two seconds I just drive it back their show the tech and come back out. Is it that quick to verify? Do they scan anything or just look at the 9th bar missing?

Thanks guys hope my experience can help anyone else with their battery replacement. Any questions with anything feel free to message me.

Thanks!!
Forgot I always drove with the Ac on and sometimes I would turn on the rear defroster to use whatever battery I could to bring it down.

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
GRA said:
"Bay Area" covers an awful lot of microclimates. One of the local TV forecasters occasionally puts up a graphic showing a 30, 40 and even occasionally a 50 deg. temperature delta over a 35 mile distance, from say Pacifica (coastal fog) to Dublin or Livermore (inland valley heat).
Yep.

http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=331394#p331394

As I posted at http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=300216#p300216 in June 2013:
"Today was an illustration of the extreme variance in temps in the Bay Area, probably more so than usual for summer... err spring.

It was pretty darn hot in my part of SJ. News said the city of SJ was 95, but my part gets hotter, I wouldn't be surprised if it got to 97 or 99. Anyhow, today it was 111 F in Dublin, 107 in Livermore, 105 in Walnut Creek but only 62 (!!!) in SF and 67 in Santa Cruz. Other temps for the day: Pacifica at 69, Half Moon Bay at 61 and Bodega Bay at 60."
To add to this, it's not even summer yet, but on the channel 7 11 pm news for 5/18/16, here are some sample high temps for the day:
Half Moon Bay: 64 F
Richmond: 67 F
Santa Cruz: 70 F
San Francisco: 70 F
Oakland: 76 F
Gilroy: 87 F
San Jose: 88 F
Concord: 95 F
Antioch: 100 F
On this note, for the 6/28/16 forecast, channel 7 news showed map where they called out a 38 degree difference within 50 miles. Specifically they forecasted 64 degrees for Half Moon Bay and 102 for Antioch.

edit: update on 6/28: On the 11 pm news on 6/27, the recorded high temps ranged from 61 F at Half Moon Bay to 87 in my city to 99 in Morgan Hill and 102 in Concord and Livermore. So, the delta from highest to lowest was 41 F.

I am 3 miles from 60K and still 9 bars. What is people's experience with claiming capacity warranty after mileage has passed? 100 miles over, 1000? Is it worth the fight?

It looks to me that the claim the Nissan will cover any capacity loss below 30% is false since I lost 33% already... The algorithm to determine number of bars is in their control -- just like a VW had an algorithm for diesel emission....

AHR Date SOH
46.59 12/7/2015
46.33 1/20/2016
45.47 3/9/2016
45.32 3/28/2016
45.07 4/6/2016 68%
44.93 4/16/2016
44.67 4/20/2016
44.5 5/1/2016 67
44.3 5/13/2016 67
44.15 5/19/2016 67
44.22 6/1/2016 67
44.03 6/29/2016 67

Skip said:
I am 3 miles from 60K and still 9 bars. What is people's experience with claiming capacity warranty after mileage has passed? 100 miles over, 1000? Is it worth the fight?

It looks to me that the claim the Nissan will cover any capacity loss below 30% is false since I lost 33% already... The algorithm to determine number of bars is in their control -- just like a VW had an algorithm for diesel emission....

AHR Date SOH
46.59 12/7/2015
46.33 1/20/2016
45.47 3/9/2016
45.32 3/28/2016
45.07 4/6/2016 68%
44.93 4/16/2016
44.67 4/20/2016
44.5 5/1/2016 67
44.3 5/13/2016 67
44.15 5/19/2016 67
44.22 6/1/2016 67
44.03 6/29/2016 67

Sorry Skip but the going average is around 43Ahr. I am at 44.74Ahr and 54900 miles. I'm worried I won't qualify for a replacement as well. My in service date gives me amother year of time but I drive too much to stretch it that far.

Skip said:

There are a couple Leaf owners who were successful in small claims court after 60,000 miles, but I would try to avoid it. How long until the 5 year anniversary of your in-service date? If you can at all do it, park it at 100%, and let it cook in the sun. DO NOT drive it to the Nissan dealer, because even if its 1 mile over 60,000 they will probably turn you away, like another recent owner. Have it flatbedded to them if the 9th bar drops.

Hello fellow bar watchers,

Here is what I have:
2011 LEAF, 8/10/2011 in service date, so 5 weeks left
43K miles
AHr: 44.02
SOC: 67%
Hx: 46.11%
GIDs: 174

What are the chances the 4th bar will drop by the 5th anniversary? Anything else from the LeasSpy readout that's useful?

Thanks,
Reza

rtaheri said:
Hello fellow bar watchers,

Here is what I have:
2011 LEAF, 8/10/2011 in service date, so 5 weeks left
43K miles
AHr: 44.02
SOC: 67%
Hx: 46.11%
GIDs: 174

What are the chances the 4th bar will drop by the 5th anniversary? Anything else from the LeasSpy readout that's useful?

Thanks,
Reza

*Usually* the 4th bar drops when below 43.25 Ahr. I'm close myself. 44.29Ahr. Time isn't my limiter, but distance is. Less than 5K miles for me and about a year of time. Driving roughly 2,600 miles per month has me pretty stressed about it. It has been hot in Fort Bragg, NC so the degradation has been pretty rapid.

Quick charge often, then let it bake in heat for the last 2 weeks. Should drop you down. Just remember that quick charging will give you a boost in capacity for a brief few days but then bottoms out a little lower than you were previously.

My 2012 Black Leaf lost its fourth bar after a long battle with weather related heating and free QC.
I had been using LeafSpy to monitor the event.

10z68nk.jpg

Located in Concord, San Francisco East Bay, where in Jun2016, we had two +95'F weeks. Battery got upto 120F twice with all that heat and using the QC twice. I had babied this battery for the first 3 years (charge to 80% with L1/L2, watched temperatures carefully) and after the third bar loss 6months ago, I gave up. Charging to 100%. Using the QC (free card from Nissan, thanks, it helped) when ever I could. At 56593 miles and 9 months left on the warranty that fourth bar dropped and quite a bit of battery warranty anxiety also dropped.

jdc said:
My 2012 Black Leaf lost its fourth bar after a long battle with weather related heating and free QC.
I had been using LeafSpy to monitor the event.

10z68nk.jpg

Located in Concord, San Francisco East Bay, where in Jun2016, we had two +95'F weeks. Battery got upto 120F twice with all that heat and using the QC twice. I had babied this battery for the first 3 years (charge to 80% with L1/L2, watched temperatures carefully) and after the third bar loss 6months ago, I gave up. Charging to 100%. Using the QC (free card from Nissan, thanks, it helped) when ever I could. At 56593 miles and 9 months left on the warranty that fourth bar dropped and quite a bit of battery warranty anxiety also dropped.
Yay! Congrats on "winning" a new lizard battery!

For those unfamiliar with the crazy high temps in your part of the SF Bay Area, these posts should be insightful:
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=464260#p464260
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=222111#p222111

I am the original owner of a 2011 Leaf. I ran out of capacity warranty July 17th (one week ago) with 59,994 miles AHr 44.54 SOH 67%. :eek:

Too bad this heat wave couldn't have come a week sooner, since one week and 300miles later, my AHr is now 43.56 and SOH 66%. I think it's going to drop the 4th bar any moment, as I am losing AHr .25-.45 points every time I commute to work now - so really fast battery decline suddenly! One or two more trips to work will probably do it at this rate.

When I bought my Leaf - I asked about battery capacity and the dealer told me "I had nothing to worry about" and then showed me in the contract that I had an 8 year 100,000 mile battery warranty - which is the main reason I decided to purchase rather than lease. Also, when I first put in my order for the Leaf in 2010 - one of the questions Nissan asked is how long my commute to work is and I answered 50 miles each way - no red flags went-up - no one at Nissan discouraged me from putting down my deposit or purchasing the car. Nissan did not tell me this would be a bad fit. Now I can barely go 50miles (of the original advertised 100 miles) and have gone into turtle mode getting to work.

I do plan to try to get Nissan to work something out and if not, BBB arbitration - thank you for the information on the forum.

Someone also mentioned that two Leaf owners had sued in small claims? is this true? or did they mean arbitration?

Back