winter tires and TPMS

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BrockWI said:
So do I understand this correctly that if I did get TPMS for my winter tires I would have to bring the car in to the dealership every spring and fall when I swap the tires? That's not going to happen, then I will just live with the warning light and check the tires like I have for 30 years...

Or is it once the Leaf "knows" the winter tires I can swap them with Leaf Spy Pro?
Correct.
Only have to configure the TPMS sensor code one time.
Does not have to be the dealer.
Any reputable place that can mount the snow tire will have a device to configure the TPMS.
Costco had one.

It may be about the same cost to just buy the TPMS sensors from your tire installer.
You'll need to check.

[rant]Can any of the cognoscenti here explain why it was necessary to make the TPMS sensors battery powered?
Without some specific reason, the only explanation I come up with is that it makes for a nice mfr profit center.
TPMS sensor failures can be reliably predicted---because the battery goes dead in a few years.
Anything that takes that long to exhaust a coin battery isn't so power hungry that alternative sources can't be found in so energetic an environment as a road wheel. For example, in a much quieter environment, my self winding watch has been running for 50 years.
Sure some people are knowledgeable and able to search for cheaper replacements. They aren't the average consumer and they aren't paying themselves for their time.
It is too bad that car salesmen can sell the flash of a keyless entry without ever mentioning that it will be $250 if you lose your ring of keys.
These are minor points, but I find the progressive concentration of control over my automotive experience in the hands of the manufacturers/dealers somewhere between irritating and enraging. [/rant] :evil:

On my 2008 Honda Fit, swapping the winter wheels without TPMS causes a warning light to come on, but no sounds. Would like to order a set of steel wheels and winter tires for the 2015 Leaf we just bought, and would like to know what the Leaf does if it doesn't "see" TPMS - is there just a warning light, or is there also a recurring sound?
Thanks very much
A Leaf noob

I do not see the need to go through the trouble of putting 4 expensive sensors (that go bad) on snow tire rims, and having them married to the car for $$$ if you will only used them 4-5 months per year.

I would let the error dash light stay on all winter with my snow tires, and if I am worried, check the pressure every few weeks. Then in the spring, you would be reminded by the annoying dash light to go back to your regular tires.

Anyone who feels the need to have every "system" check out perfectly in life, then consider this question.... Are you a sheep that does everything that big groups tell you? Or do you think for yourself and do what is best for YOU???

I agree, in principle. That said, I did spring for a second set of sensors for $15 each ("Nissan TIRE PRESSURE SENSOR TPMS TPM Factory OEM Pacific 40700-1LA0D TS-NS23" from "connectedauto" on eBay), and thanks to LeafSpy, retraining the Leaf should be annoying, but free. (note: I haven't tested those yet, as they're on my summer tires right now... maybe they're junk!).

My wife's Honda Odessy is not trainable at all, so she is planning to get cloned sensors, so... it will be a higher price for the sensors, but even less inconvenience for her to swap winter wheels than me.

powersurge said:

"Anyone who feels the need to have every "system" check out perfectly in life, then consider this question.... Are you a sheep that does everything that big groups tell you? Or do you think for yourself and do what is best for YOU???"

Well said, sir! :)

I've done the TPMS registration in LeafSpyPro. It was pretty easy (http://mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=20204&hilit=tpms&start=10#p507800). Just have a decent pressure gauge.

Quite timely, I just got snows (Nokian Hakkapeliitta R2) on my S yesterday. The TPMS reset procedure seems to be to just drive the car; it simply learns where the TPMS sensors are.

I know this is an old post but I'm still a bit confused. It seems that LeafSpy Pro can only 'register' TPMS transmitters that have been 'registered' to the car's ECU. Meaning, there is one process for brand new, non-OEM sensors and a different process to re-learn the wheel positions after rotating tires or having new tires mounted on the original rims. Is this right?

I tried the LSP procedure twice with the pressures exactly right but the car won't recognize them. I do get pressures in LSP but they are all over the map (but reasonablely between 29 and 45 psi) and when I run the procedure it says it fails and shows the TPMS Id's to be in the unknown state.

goldbrick said:
I know this is an old post but I'm still a bit confused. It seems that LeafSpy Pro can only 'register' TPMS transmitters that have been 'registered' to the car's ECU. Meaning, there is one process for brand new, non-OEM sensors and a different process to re-learn the wheel positions after rotating tires or having new tires mounted on the original rims. Is this right?

I tried the LSP procedure twice with the pressures exactly right but the car won't recognize them. I do get pressures in LSP but they are all over the map (but reasonablely between 29 and 45 psi) and when I run the procedure it says it fails and shows the TPMS Id's to be in the unknown state.

Advantage of E Plus; Auto registration. I rotated my tires and the car recognized that fact moving all tires to correct position on the dash display. Now I can't wait to get new tires and see if they are recognized.

Back