Pedestrian Sound Volume Control

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leafabout

I would like to be able to turn the volume on the pedestrian warning sound up and down. There are times in heavy traffic where it is too quiet to be heard. And when I'm in, say, a hospital zone parking deck, I would like to turn the volume back down.

Not going to happen. You can switch it off if you install the switch and you can use the horn as level 2 warning :lol:
If the traffic is heavy nobody cares about Leaf. There are other guzzlers making all kind of noises.

One reason I like the "chirp" noise on the Volt. A tiny "bip" on a car horn is either not heard, ignored, or taken as offensively as if you were laying on the horn continually, even if the pedestrian you're bipping is doing something stupid like walking down the middle of a lane. The Volt's chirp is unusual enough a sound that it cuts through all the other surrounding noise and is not met with as much offense.

Leaf has good enough horn that if you hit it with a fist (fast) it just burps.
But usually if somebody is stupid enough to disturb me I will hunk them hard :lol:

Law says that you can use horn to get anybody's attention or warn about danger.

1. how do you "install a switch" to turn off the can of grief sound generator.. that makes me think the gear box has gone blewy ?

2. From Japanese Tourist Book 1950s:

" If passenger of foot obstacles your path... tootle them melodiously"
" If passenger of foot STILL obstacles your path... tootle them with Vigor"

:lol:

If you get a 2011 or 2012 Leaf I do believe in those you could turn off the whining sound. I doubt that Nissan will put a switch like that in. But I'm sure that this could be a DIY job.

Take a 50ohm high power resistor. Disconnect the whine amplifier from its speaker and put the resistor on there between that amplifier and the input of another amplifier. Connect the amplifier output to a louder speaker or speakers that replace the original. Hook up the amplifier control in the cabin. Enjoy.

Back