Daytime Running Light Wiring on 2015

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

key5000

Hello Everyone,

Over the weekend, I have installed DRL for my 2015 SV, the cost is less than $10.

I know, there are DRL topics out there but the wiring instruction does not work on some.

Below is instruction on how to install it and where to get the parts:
- Buy DRL LED from eBay for $6 ; sorry, I do not know how to create hyper-link (http://www.ebay.com/itm/2x-Super-Bright-White-Car-COB-LED-Lights-DRL-Fog-Driving-Lamp-Waterproof-DC-12V-/291161780706?hash=item43ca9831e2:g:SK8AAOSwu4BVvxIG&vxp=mtr)
- Buy Quick Splice Electrical Connector from local auto part or Amazon

= Drill 4 small holes at the front bumper (black part, see picture below)
= Stick the DRL LED to the bumper using double side tape included in the LED
= Using small cable ties to secure it by those 4 holes
= Drill another hole so the wire from LED can go through it.
= Now, open the EDM box (locate on the right side next to battery) and turn it over, locate purple/white wire and tap the red wire (+)from LED to it using quick splice. (do not use the one from 3 wire plug) See picture below for detail.
= Locate black/white wire and tap the black wire (-) from LED to it using quick splice
==> installation is now completed.

Here is the DRL LED activity:

1- Engine ON, ==> DRL=ON
2- Engine OFF, ==> DRL=OFF
3- Charging ON, ==> DRL=OFF
4- Charging OFF, ==> DRL=OFF

Note, you can buy any LED light from eBay to replace LED from above, if you like (I had another one for my 2015 S model too)

Here are the pictures:

I'm pretty sure they are very weak. Not even noticeable when Sun is high.
There is almost nothing good on eBay for few bucks.
I recommend Philips DRL's.

Also these are not legal.

I also have DRL installed on another 2015 S model with 18W on each side (total of 36W), it cost me only $22.
This LED is VERY BRIGHT, my wife forgot to turn on the head light when she running at night as this LED is so bright that she though head light already ON.

Here is the LED
http://www.ebay.com/itm/18w-6-CREE-LED-WORK-LIGHT-BAR-SPOT-OFFROAD-ATV-SUV-4WD-FOG-DRIVING-TRUCK-LAMP-/191503511299?hash=item2c967faf03:g:O~cAAOSw~OdVZnlh&vxp=mtr

Much better. Philips DRL also use reflectors to beam the light but in random directions.
DRL on the other hand should not be spot-light but rather flood (seller offers that too).
DRL's should be highly visible from any angle.

Thanks for the detailed write-up.

For those worried about the brightness, they really don't need to be bright; they are not intended to provide light to see, their purpose is only only to be seen.

Park lights can be seen during the night but not during the day.
DRL-s must "shine". So they are brighter than daylight. Low output LED-s are not appropriate,
especially those that have no reflectors playing with light beams.

arnis said:
Also these are not legal.

Maybe not in Estonia, but in the US (where DRL is not a requirement but is allowed) they're fine. They also seem just as bright as the factory DRL's on my 2015 eGolf.

OP: Thank you for your post. I know many people were wondering where to tap in for the power for an aftermarket DRL. If I still had my Leaf I would probably do this.

I installed 2 x 6W LED strips and I think i might have to replace them as they might actually be too bright (for nighttime). Even at just 6W each, they are noticeably brighter than the factory DRLs on our other cars. In Canada, DRLs are typically high beams at 1/2 power and the law has a maximum of 7000 candelas - which I suspect these exceed. Some of the proposed legislation in the US proposed a maximum of 1500 candelas which these would probably be way past.

For anyone looking at getting similar DRLs, it might be worth getting the style that are mounted on a bracket so that they can be aimed lower.

DRL should be OFF while low/high beams are in use.
DRL means daytime running lamp - therefore used while it is daytime.

AFAIK, 6W seems to be fine if it doesn't glow directly into traffic.
Also, most likely they are weaker than 6W. Measure consumption to be sure.

arnis said:
DRL should be OFF while low/high beams are in use.
DRL means daytime running lamp - therefore used while it is daytime.

Again not as implemented in North America. Many cars' LED DRL's do NOT turn off when the headlights are on, including that of my eGolf. The "C" shaped lamps in the lower corners of the bumper are the DRL's:

s-l400.jpg

If anyone wants to have the DRLs run when the Leaf is powered on, but turn off when the headlights are turned on, then you can use two 5-pin relays for that:

http://www.the12volt.com/installbay/uploads/DRL_Relay.jpg

It works as follows:

- The NO (normally open) circuit (pin 30 to pin 87) of the first relay only supplies power to the low beam headlights when energized by the headlight switch (connected to pin 86) - not sure what wire in the PDM would be appropriate as a low beam signal on pin 86, probably easiest to use a wire tap connector at the headlight itself
- The NC (normally closed) circuit (pin 30 to pin 87A) of the first relay supplies power to pin 30 of the second relay, unless the headlights are turned on
- The NO circuit (pin 30 to pin 87) of the second relay only supplies power to the DRLs when energized by the NC circuit of the first relay (pin 87A). As soon as the first relay is energized (ie the headlight switch is turned on), the second relay is no longer energized and so the DRLs are turned off
- Pin 86 of the second relay needs to be energized by a wire in the PDM that's energized when the car is powered on (see http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=6134 for details)

I haven't actually bothered to do this myself, just putting it out there in case someone wants to try it...

Usually side/marker lights line is used to indicate DRL should be off (very small bulb in the headlights).
This is on in Low AND High beam. Also DRL should be off with just those marker lights on (incl tail lights).

michelb said:
I installed 2 x 6W LED strips and I think i might have to replace them as they might actually be too bright (for nighttime). Even at just 6W each, they are noticeably brighter than the factory DRLs on our other cars. In Canada, DRLs are typically high beams at 1/2 power and the law has a maximum of 7000 candelas - which I suspect these exceed. Some of the proposed legislation in the US proposed a maximum of 1500 candelas which these would probably be way past.

For anyone looking at getting similar DRLs, it might be worth getting the style that are mounted on a bracket so that they can be aimed lower.

As a great example of "You get what you pay for", my cheap eBay strip of 5 LEDs (two for $8CND including shipping) lasted all of 1 day !!! They worked fine on install but one day later, about half the LEDs no longer light up (pushing on some make them come on but as soon as you release the pressure, they turn off again). It's possible they just don't work well in the cold (it's been about -15C since I installed them and there was lost of snow / slush on the road) but still ...

That said, they actually served their purpose which was to pass the federal inspection (US vehicle imported into Canada so mandatory DRLs) but I actually believe in DRLs so want to have them so will look at replacing. Fortunately, most of the work is done (wiring) so it's just a matter of finding a suitable replacement and I'm no longer pressed for time but still somewhat annoying.

Arnis, please stop with your opinions as to what's legal and what's not. The regulations in the EU are not the same as in the US. I've already given you real-life instances where what you said was illegal is actually perfectly legal in the US.

The "very small bulb in the headlights" is not mandated in the US for parking lights. Here, we can use a continuously-illuminated turn signal bulb at a reduced brightness, and many cars (particularly cars not sold outside of the US) do so. But that also includes the halogen-headlight version of the Leaf. And on my 2006 Audi A3 (8P body style) it doesn't even come with that little white bulb; the yellow front side marker lights also double as parking lights in the US version.

Speaking of turn signals, some cars (particularly from US manufacturers) will use a brightly and continuously illuminated turn signal bulb as a DRL. Again perfectly legal in the US.

We still allow red for rear-facing turn signals. Some cars that are common in Europe also have red-facing turn signals for the US market (like the Mk VII Golf). In fact most of the German car makers' vehicles here have red turn signals now for some reason.

Turn signals is something else. Not going to talk about other stuff right now.

There are definitely symbols on every light fixture, even in US.
Except Chinese crap. It has nothing. Therefore this fixture is not suitable for traffic.
Except if you actually measure all kinds of stuff (like light intensity etc) and convince
everybody that this light does meet the requirements for DRL-s. Nobody does that.
Otherwise I will use 10 000K HID bulbs for DRL-s and say "law doesn't require RL symbol",
and since I passed whatever I need to pass (grandpa works there) it is totally legal.

Back