Our solar production

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
mwalsh said:
chris1howell said:
Daily Production: 25 kWh

I'm so jealous! I take it you had clear skies all day yesterday? I can't wait to see what I get for our first day of all-day sun. If there ever is one again, now I have a system! :lol:

I've only estimated 26kWh for a full on summer's day. So if I can get even close to that on a winter's day, and blow it away completely in the summer, I'll be laughing all the way to the bank! :D

mwalsh, I would predict that you could top 30kwh/day *easy* in May or Aug. Your system is 50% bigger than mine and I got 26.6kwh in Aug this year. Your roof pitch is 20, like mine, so May or Aug gets the most direct sunlight. Although June gets the longest day, here in the OC, we get that June gloom Inversion layer in the morning so it suffers a bit. Aug gets some inversion too, and it's hotter during the day, so efficiency is slightly less.

Now that I will be getting the LEAF, I want to expand my system...but no more roof space :?

mwalsh, my peak production on a sunny summer day is 33 kWh. I expect that you should see about 40 under same conditions.

occ, re your comment on summer inversion layer: That's really only prevalent during June, for the most part. May this year was really great, but that isn't typical. But by July and certainly August, you can rely on many sunny days, with sun all day long.

You folks may also notice a temperature effect. Very hot days are not kind to solar PV output. It won't be much, but you might see a 5% degradation versus the same date with a cool breeze blowing.

Boomer here in AZ my peak was 35kw a day. I had 6 panel off angle but since then set them all south. I am hoping for 36 or more now this summer.

So far since my system was installed in late March I have 6,481 kWh total. I like to read it as 6.5 Mega watts from my Power Generating Station :mrgreen:

mwalsh said:
Updated my post with today's figure - a rather miserable 4.26kWh on a rather miserable rainy day. :cry:

That's right on par with my output 3.08kwh with your system about 50% bigger.

Well, at least our panels will get the super-dupa extra wash cytcle treatment this week :D

occ said:
mwalsh said:
Updated my post with today's figure - a rather miserable 4.26kWh on a rather miserable rainy day. :cry:

That's right on par with my output 3.08kwh with your system about 50% bigger.

Well, at least our panels will get the super-dupa extra wash cytcle treatment this week :D

Mine was about 3.2 today.

Here's some production data from our 5.8 kW PV system:

27 SunPower 215 watt panels, at 25 degrees, facing due south
with a SPR 6000 Sunny Boy inverter
monitored with Sunny WebBox

November 2010: operated 28 days with average output of 30.82 kWh
Twenty-three days were full sun, 5 days were partly cloudy

December 16: partly cloudy until 11 am, then rain the rest of the day: 12.38 kWh
December 17: scattered clouds throughout the day: 27.12 kWh

During the month of November, our system made 256 kWh more than we used. Our electric company paid us only $ 0.032 for each kWh. Every year at the end of November our electric company pays us for unused credited kWh for the year. Now our extra kWh will roll over into the next month, hopefully saving up for the AC use in June - October.

See photos of our system at: http://randdsrayhome.blogspot.com/

Chris...,
I found a peak of about 5.2 kW production, which seems right for your DC panel rating.

A SunnyBoy 8000?
I did not know an "8000" model was available. I thought the biggest was their "7000" model, but that was 2 years ago.

Seems like a 5000 or even 6000 would have fit your panels better.

Did you get the extra inverter capacity for future expansion (more panels)?

If you want to see generation data presented really well, try:

http://livesolar.net/sumpage.htm

Look at (click on) the Williams Residence, and then run the cursor across the day totals to "instantly" see each day's production profile. Really slick!

garygid,

I did have an 8000 installed for future growth. I currently have 28 panels in 2 strings of 14 each. There is plenty of room left on the roof and on the inverter for another string of 14. I could even go a little further and add another 2 panels to each string maxing out the inverter and rooftop with 48 panels, however the 6 panels would recieve significant evening shade from the chimney.

I really need to get a handle on my usage before the leaf and after. As of now I am only monitoring production not usage. I am planning to install the energy detective soon, maybe Santa has one with my name on it. Also I really do not understand the new feed rules for excess power generation and all the TOU rates.

Panel: 22 - Kyocera KC125G
Inverter: SMA SWR 2500 USBD
AC nameplate rating: 2.3 kW

SCE Authorization to commence parallel operation: 9/16/2003
E-total(12/17/2010): 30,168 kWh
Average/year: 4,161 kWh

Just thought I'd bump this. I've been diligently logging my daily production all week, if you'd be so kind as to check back on the first post, but today is going to be the first cloudless day since I turned the system on, and I'm going to be banking some hardcore wattage today, my friends. Oh, yeah! :D

Michael, it's going to be sunny in Tucson today too. This would be a good day for use to compare our systems: our with 27 215 W SunPower panels and you with 27 230 W SunPower panels, I believe. Yesterday we produced 29 kWh with some cloudy periods and on Wednesday, our lowest ever - 3 kWh, with lots of clouds and rain. I'll get back to you Sunday with today's production total so we can compare the two systems.

Azrich said:
Michael, it's going to be sunny in Tucson today too. This would be a good day for use to compare our systems: our with 27 215 W SunPower panels and you with 27 230 W SunPower panels, I believe. Yesterday we produced 29 kWh with some cloudy periods and on Wednesday, our lowest ever - 3 kWh, with lots of clouds and rain. I'll get back to you Sunday with today's production total so we can compare the two systems.

Sounds good. I still wish we had the same panels though. Sigh.

mwalsh said:
My system:

27 x SunPower 230W panels
SMA 5000 inverter
All panels on the same pitch, just slightly off directly south and on a 20 degree tilt.

Thursday December 16, 2010
. Very cloudy early morning, clearing to partly sunny late morning, and sunny in the afternoon. Production 14.18kWh.
Friday December 17, 2010. Overcast and light rain all day. Production 4.26kWh.
Saturday December 18, 2010. Overcast and rain all day. Production 4.16kWh.
Sunday December 19, 2010. Overcast and heavy rain all day. Production 1.73kWh.
Monday December 20, 2010. Overcast and heavy rain all day. Production 1.44kWh.
Tuesday December 21, 2010. Overcast and intermittent heavy rain. Production 3.22 kWh.
Wednesday December 22, 2010. Overcast and heavy rain most of the day. Production 5.30 kWh.
Thursday December 23, 2010. Partially overcast. Production 13.70 kWh.

Bearing in mind that, though we're geographically close, very local cloud conditions will play havoc with comparisons, here's mine, Michael:

Dec 16: 13
Dec 17: 3
Dec 18: 4
Dec 19: 3
Dec 20: 2
Dec 21: 3
Dec 22: 10
Dec 23: 10

EDITed for mwalsh's records:

Dec 24: 18 sunny
Dec 25: 13 foggy morning, some sun later
Dec 26: 11 variable clouds, spots of sun
Dec 27: 18 sunny, cool

Been cloudy/rainy most of the week

Dec 16: 3.21
Dec 17: 13.62
Dec 18: 19.52
Dec 19: 19.62
Dec 20: 11.42
Dec 21: 3.92
Dec 22: 7.98
Dec 23: 11.38
Dec 24: 23.00 - Mostly Sunny today.

Tucson, AZ - 27 215 W SunPower panels at 25 degrees, direction is due south

December 16 - 12.68 kWh -- cloudy and rain in morning
December 17 - 27.12 kWh -- mostly sunny
December 18 - 25.47 kWh
December 19 - 25.85 kWh -- some clouds
December 20 - 18.86 kWh -- scattered clouds
December 21 - 12.25 kWh -- clouds and rain in morning
December 22 - 3.03 kWh -- heavy cloud and rain all day, lowest production since installation Nov.1
December 23 - 28.97 kWh -- sunny with a few clouds
December 24 - 29.97 kWh -- completely sunny day - A great production day!!

Back