2016 30 kWh Battery data

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TimLee said:
QueenBee said:
But that doesn't really make sense does it? The top and bottom of the pack is all based on cell voltage. So they could have changed the cut off voltages?
On the 2011 pack the top may be voltage limited, but the bottom turtle and pack disconnect are based on kWh remaining.
0.4 kWh reported by LEAF Spy Pro at Turtle.
0.3 kWh reported at Pack Disconnect.

That is not correct. The sun may have set at the same time, but the sun wasn't the disconnect. It was the lowest cell pair voltage threshold.

TonyWilliams said:
That is not correct. The sun may have set at the same time, but the sun wasn't the disconnect. It was the lowest cell pair voltage threshold.
I agree it is a correlation, not necessarily causation.

But the lowest cell pair voltages observed have varied greatly depending on the capacity degradation of the pack. They do not correlate with a single lowest cell pair voltage.

So if it is the cause, must be a more involved threshold algorithm than just lowest cell pair voltage.

TimLee said:
So if it is the cause, must be a more involved threshold algorithm than just lowest cell pair voltage.

There may be other factors, of course, like temperature and degradation (impedance), but the absolute only way to prevent a bricked battery is never let any cell below a threshold.

TimLee said:
TonyWilliams said:
I agree it is a correlation, not necessarily causation.

But the lowest cell pair voltages observed have varied greatly depending on the capacity degradation of the pack. They do not correlate with a single lowest cell pair voltage.

its the voltage that causes permanent damage to a cell which is why Nissan (correctly I might add) uses it for the cut off.

DaveinOlyWA said:
... its the voltage that causes permanent damage to a cell which is why Nissan (correctly I might add) uses it for the cut off.
But as Tony agreed,
TonyWilliams said:
There may be other factors, of course, like temperature and degradation (impedance), ...
The damage to the pack and the threshold may be primarily a function of voltage.
But the observations on LEAF so far say there is more to the threshold than voltage alone.
Will be interesting to see measurement of pack disconnect threshold the 30 kWh pack uses.
And changes in that threshold with pack aging.

Leaf SV 30 kWh purchased 12/10/15, Delivered 12/16/15
Leaf spy results 1/28/16 (took forever to find an ELM that worked)

Ar=74.5
SOH=93%
Hx=89.12
Odo=13 (at delivery), 547 (current), first trip of 103 miles (with two charge bars remaining, used over a week) 1/20/16
3 QC (the dealer must have done the first two), 13 L1/L2 (one charging event for 5 minutes to test new 240 outlet, all others prior to 1/28/16 were overnight L1).

Couldn't get a picture of the battery balancing bars on screen 1 for some reason, but I they look really out of whack (to me) so cells may be unbalanced.

30 kWh pack using LeafSpy Pro 0.37.79.
Un1XcP.png

DaveinOlyWA said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Huh, only 88 to LBW at 3.9? Is the LBW range expanded?

sounds normal to me. From LBW to nada, i am getting between 15ish miles in my 2013

But for a 30 kWh pack? That would only be 103 miles for 28 kWhs usable.

It's close, but I'm guessing they tucked a few extra miles under LBW.

One thing I need verified is at what Gid level the Low and Very Low Battery Warning messages appear for the 30 kWh battery.

Currently LeafSpy assumes the same Gid levels as the 24 kWh pack as the code has not been changed.

===========================

The numbers are in. Nissan is using the same Gid level for the warning trigger as the 24 kWh pack. They are reserving the same amount of energy not a percentage which would have meant more energy. Expect to drive the same distance after a warning as you did with a 24 kWh pack.

DNAinaGoodWay said:
DaveinOlyWA said:
DNAinaGoodWay said:
Huh, only 88 to LBW at 3.9? Is the LBW range expanded?

sounds normal to me. From LBW to nada, i am getting between 15ish miles in my 2013

But for a 30 kWh pack? That would only be 103 miles for 28 kWhs usable.

It's close, but I'm guessing they tucked a few extra miles under LBW.

yep, could be but I could EASILY get 112 miles or 4 miles per kwh out of that. As it stands now, the math never works between the LEAF dash, LEAF Spy, etc. but I am still getting 4.1-4.2 miles per available kwh so that would mean as much as 117.6 miles

as far as "available" I can assure you its all there for use plus a little. more than a few times, I have pulled into the garage at "Zero" available...

Model: 2016 SV
Built: 10/15
Delivered: 2/24/16
AHr=81.17
SOH=100%
Hx=97.03%
Odo=263 mi
3 QCs, 14 L1/L2
Cell variation: 12 mV
LeafSpy v0.37.79
ODB-II: BAFX Products 34t5

Drove 71 miles today with an efficiency of 3.8 mi/kWh (lower than my usual due to a bit of joyriding) and had 28% (dash) or 32.1% (LeafSpy) SoC remaining. LeafSpy tells me I could go another 26 miles @ 3.8 for a total of 97 miles. I have 8.1 kWh, 26.1 Ah, and 104 GIDs remaining.

Love the app!

On my commute today I recorded the kWh remaining value from Leaf Spy each time I lost a charge bar and I was surprised to see how linear it was:

Avail kWh after 100% charge: 28.1
lost 1st bar: 25.6 (-2.5)
lost 2nd bar: 23.3 (-2.3)
lost 3rd bar: 20.9 (-2.4)
lost 4th bar: 18.8 (-2.1)

Average is 2.3kWh per bar (and coincidentally, 2.3 x 12 = 27.9)

At 5 mi/kWh, it was:

bar 1: 12.5 mi
bar 2: 11.5 mi
bar 3: 12.0 mi
bar 4: 10.5 mi

or an average of 11.6 miles per bar.

Ok, I've got a 2016 SV. Purchased 12-15-15. At this point I've put 5000 miles on it. Leafspy reports 363 gids at full charge 100% health and 79.66AH capacity. Nearly all the charging is done via L2 at home. It's been fast charged 3 times mostly just to verify that it works. Gids at full charge wobbles a little. Occasionally it only charges to 361 or 358 gids. First couple times I saw that, I worried that I might be losing some batterty capacity already. Now it's back to full capacity. My daily commute is 55-65 mi round trip including errands. I've only run it down to below VLBW once and that was intentional just to find out the limits. I chickened out at 3% (1KWH). Low battery warning came on at 17% and VLBW at 7% Gids do track the percentage charge fairly accurately so I drive by the % charge gauge rather then worry about the gids or the charge bars. A typical day leaves me with about 45% charge at the end of the day. I'm averaging 3.8m/KWH but that is with a 2000' change in elevation each way. Downhill is a breeze but I have remember to have at least 25% charge ( 30-40% is more comfortable) when I go up the hill to go home. I would guess that 85-90 miles is the practical limit for me.

johnlocke said:
Ok, I've got a 2016 SV.
Low battery warning came on at 17% and VLBW at 7%.
Is the above on the dash % SoC display or some Leaf Spy value?

I'd be curious the # of gids the above sound at.

johnlocke said:
Ok, I've got a 2016 SV. Purchased 12-15-15. At this point I've put 5000 miles on it. Leafspy reports 363 gids at full charge 100% health and 79.66AH capacity. Nearly all the charging is done via L2 at home. It's been fast charged 3 times mostly just to verify that it works. Gids at full charge wobbles a little. Occasionally it only charges to 361 or 358 gids. First couple times I saw that, I worried that I might be losing some batterty capacity already. Now it's back to full capacity. My daily commute is 55-65 mi round trip including errands. I've only run it down to below VLBW once and that was intentional just to find out the limits. I chickened out at 3% (1KWH). Low battery warning came on at 17% and VLBW at 7% Gids do track the percentage charge fairly accurately so I drive by the % charge gauge rather then worry about the gids or the charge bars. A typical day leaves me with about 45% charge at the end of the day. I'm averaging 3.8m/KWH but that is with a 2000' change in elevation each way. Downhill is a breeze but I have remember to have at least 25% charge ( 30-40% is more comfortable) when I go up the hill to go home. I would guess that 85-90 miles is the practical limit for me.

the variance is due to different levels of balancing and temperature. it is quite normal. My 2013 LEAF runs from 264 to 276

I use the on dash display as it's easier for me to read. I have checked it against leafspy and it tracks very closely.

Back