2011 Leaf - Heater Gone anyone have any idea on parts prices ?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheGreasyPole

Hi Guys,

The heater has gone on my 2011 leaf, so well out of warranty and the model means it has a resistance heater. Assuming the worst... And its the heater that has to be replaced...

Does anyone have any idea what the UK cost is for a heater replacement ? Hopefully someone else has been through this before and can give me an idea.

I'm trying to get an idea of how much additional mortgage I'll have to take out on my house to get the heater fixed :)

Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. It probably wouldn't hurt to take it to a dealer to diagnose the problem before assuming the worst.

Assuming that the answer is "too high", you may consider buying an aftermarket seat heater & steering wheel heater instead. I have a 2012, and I've installed a switch to disable the heater. I exclusively use the seat heater & steering wheel heater (and I bundle up on cold days). I can't remember if the 2011's had those as an option. Anyhow, it might be something worth considering.

Your post doesn't indicate where you are.
It get pretty cold here in PA, but it wouldn't be the end o the world to be without the vehicle heater.
I use the heated seats and wheel instead to save battery.

You're looking for a "PTC HEATER", part number "B7A43-00Q0F". List price here in the states is $1175 USD. It's unlikely you'll find an aftermarket heater or a deal significantly cheaper than that, so your best bet is trying to find one used.

If I were in your shoes, I would take a trip to the local junkyard and try to find a wrecked LEAF with a clean front-left corner. The PTC heater is located beneath the 12V battery, IIRC. It will be held in with 4 bolts and have a big orange high voltage connector on the top with nipples on either side leading to heater coolant lines.

The wires to the PTC heater are protected by a fuse in the DCJB(junction box).
I believe I saw a case here where when the heater went out the fuse also went
out. The DCJB is not easy to get to, a lot has to be taken apart just to get access
to it. The parts inside (like the fuse) are not dealer replaceable, only the whole
unit, also could not tell from pictures if the fuse is soldered in.

garsh said:
Sorry, I don't have an answer to your question. It probably wouldn't hurt to take it to a dealer to diagnose the problem before assuming the worst.

Assuming that the answer is "too high", you may consider buying an aftermarket seat heater & steering wheel heater instead. I have a 2012, and I've installed a switch to disable the heater. I exclusively use the seat heater & steering wheel heater (and I bundle up on cold days). I can't remember if the 2011's had those as an option. Anyhow, it might be something worth considering.

My 2011 Leaf just had the heater fail and the dealer in Corpus Christi, Texas is wanting to charge me $3500 to replace the module and associated fuse. This is highway robbery, I think, but I do not seem to have many options.

-Tracy V.

tracyv said:
garsh said:

My 2011 Leaf just had the heater fail and the dealer in Corpus Christi, Texas is wanting to charge me $3500 to replace the module and associated fuse. This is highway robbery, I think, but I do not seem to have many options.

-Tracy V.
Try to source a replacement PTC from a local scrapyard , but the biggy is the fuse replacement I believe to be in the DC junction box within the battery enclosure IIRC. Do you have seat heaters? I guess the decision would be: given that this is a 2011 and that the average temp is 70.4F , is heater replacement really worthwhile?

Hi EE,
I wish that were an option. This is a lease and they want it back working. Two months out of warranty (it sat on the lot for a while) and the $##% heater fails. Besides, average temperatures can be misleading. It's been in the high 40s in the morning for the last week. That's a bit chilly.

-Tracy V.[/quote]
Try to source a replacement PTC from a local scrapyard , but the biggy is the fuse replacement I believe to be in the DC junction box within the battery enclosure IIRC. Do you have seat heaters? I guess the decision would be: given that this is a 2011 and that the average temp is 70.4F , is heater replacement really worthwhile?[/quote]

We just fixed our with a bypass, took photos but this forum has no easy way to just attach them.
Basically we picked up 2 20$ PTC heater elements off eBay 200 watts each and pulled power off the driver side panel fuse box which has an open high power lug we tapped with a 30@ fuse and ran 10 gauge zipcord under the dash up through the defroster vents to the PTC heaters placed center over each defroster vent.
The more air we blow the more power they draw.
They are very fast to defrost, and keep the cable air a touch about e freezing in our Finnish winter's.

I would be happy to email the pics to anyone willing g to take the time to post them online and link them to this discussion...

I just posted some YouTube video instructions for:

100$ 2012 Nissan leaf extended winter package PTC defrost with heated floorboards and heater fix.

Enjoy

https://youtu.be/2R2knucN5NE
https://youtu.be/cy6k1oNFXxE
https://youtu.be/GoMfFfVwN2c

Back