Climate XChange Raffling off a new Tesla

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have to "purchase" to enter, that's a rather old scam like penny auctions. Basically, you offer up something you don't have and offer others to win it by purchasing "raffle" tickets. The trick is that you sell more tickets than the value of the thing offered, so once you hit that limit, you do draw a winner. You purchase the winning gift and give it to the winner.

This kind of raffle is actually pretty common. You might as well rant about those Awful "50/50" raffles all those "scam" churches and fire departments run. The organization is real, and since they pay all taxes associated with the vehicle, it's actually better than most raffles of this type. Chill.

Urs! Thanks, man! I'm ticket #724! It would make a hell of a New Years gift for my wife, she has much larger travel needs than I do, and there are SCs in Hookset NH where she has to go for work. All the other prizes would be cool too. Even if we don't win anything, I love what they're doing, carbon pricing is what the world needs. Makes no sense to try to reduce emissions and have such cheap gas.

LeftieBiker said:
If you have to "purchase" to enter, that's a rather old scam like penny auctions. Basically, you offer up something you don't have and offer others to win it by purchasing "raffle" tickets. The trick is that you sell more tickets than the value of the thing offered, so once you hit that limit, you do draw a winner. You purchase the winning gift and give it to the winner.

This kind of raffle is actually pretty common. You might as well rant about those Awful "50/50" raffles all those "scam" churches and fire departments run. The organization is real, and since they pay all taxes associated with the vehicle, it's actually better than most raffles of this type. Chill.

Don't see where that quote came from, but in the legal details section of the raffle, they've eliminated the minimum ticket requirement. So, please, nobody else enter, I like the odds I have now. ;)

DNAinaGoodWay said:
Don't see where that quote came from, but in the legal details section of the raffle, they've eliminated the minimum ticket requirement. So, please, nobody else enter, I like the odds I have now. ;)
They have to sell enough tickets to pay for the vehicle first, that's how those kind of raffles work. After they make the minimum amount, any extra tickets sold is extra profit to keep.

I would be glad to offer up a raffle for the same vehicle but only $1 per ticket and I'll have a drawing after I sell 500,000 tickets :mrgreen:

(d) if there is a minimum number of tickets to be sold; what the minimum is and the procedure to be employed to secure a refund in the event the minimum is not reached;

As of December 3, 2015, Climate XChange determined that there were no longer any special cases for ticket sales between 1-299 and 300-866. The full set of Grand Prize and the 5 Special Prizes will be made available regardless of how many tickets have been sold to date and regardless of how many more tickets may be sold between this date and the conclusion of the raffle. We are striking out the text below that previously described special cases that are no longer applicable.
The minimum number of tickets to be sold is 1.

From 1 ticket sold – 299 tickets sold, this raffle is a <XXX REF 50/50 cash raffle/[Prize Details:Alternate Cash Prizes & Raffle]>, with a guaranteed minimum prize pool of $20,000.

From 300 tickets sold to 866 tickets sold, this raffle is a <XXX REF 50/50 cash raffle/[Prize Details:Alternate Cash Prizes & Raffle]>, with the prize pool exceeding $20,000.

From 867 tickets to 2000 tickets, CXC will make available the Grand Prize and the 5 Special Prizes.
The minimum number of tickets to be sold at which the Grand Prize and the 5 Special Prizes will be made available is 867.

No refunds are planned due to failure to meet ticket sale minimums. If the entire raffle is canceled, CXC will issue refunds to all ticket holders.

I'm ticket #14. Does that mean it's almost "sold out," or are they randomizing the numbers?

The quote was from a post that got deleted after I quoted it.

Just bought one which seems to be in normal sequence considering the DNA's #724, perhaps an entry was cancelled and the # had to be reassigned?

LeftieBiker said:
I don't know why the form said #14, but I actually received #737, which is a number I like. Of course, #14 will now win...

I got #14 too when I first clicked on the purchase tickets link, apparently it's the sample you see when you click on it. No doubt all 2000 will sell. Good luck to all. Odds are better than any lottery.

So, if one of us wins, what will we do?

1. Take the car, and keep it until it's pried from our cold, dead, bankrupt hands.

2. Take the car, drive it for a year, sell it, and buy a new EV that costs *less* than our homes. Like maybe a Model 3.

3. Take the cash value, pay the taxes, put a large deposit on a Model 3, and live it up.

4. Take the cash value, etc, buy a new Leaf, live it up even more, and feel somewhat guilty.

5. Just take the cash and keep driving whatever EV we now own or lease. Feel vaguely unsatisfied.

How long is Tesla's warranty, anyway? I noticed that one of the options is to buy a pre-owned car from them, with no warranty. For someone with my luck, that would be called the "no-brainer." As in "the option for those with no brain." ;-)

LeftieBiker said:
How long is Tesla's warranty, anyway? I noticed that one of the options is to buy a pre-owned car from them, with no warranty. For someone with my luck, that would be called the "no-brainer." As in "the option for those with no brain." ;-)

That is incorrect. The Tesla CPO program extends the warranty on any car purchased through the program. It is a great value and it the main reason for purchasing from Tesla on a used vehicle instead of on the open market. Every car purchased has a warranty of 4 years and 50,000 miles from the date and mileage at purchase. Not quite like a new car warranty, but pretty close.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/model-s-preowned-warranty.pdf

This Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty supersedes and replaces the terms of the original New
Vehicle Limited Warranty's Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty and SRS Limited Warranty, each as
described below. This Pre-Owned Vehicle Limited Warranty does not extend or otherwise alter
the terms of the Battery and Drive Unit Limited Warranty for the Pre-Owned vehicle specified in
the original New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

So you get the vehicle and SRS warranties reset on CPO purchase, but the 8 year unlimited mileage warranty on the battery and drivetrain is still under the original purchase warranty when new.

Here is the New purchase warranty:

What is the New Vehicle Limited Warranty?

Your Model S is covered by the New Vehicle Limited Warranty, which includes the Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty, the Supplemental Restraint System (“SRS”) Limited Warranty, and the Battery Limited Warranty.

The Basic Vehicle Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of any Model S parts manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of four years or 50,000 miles (80,000 km), whichever comes first.

The SRS Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement necessary to correct defects in the materials or workmanship of the vehicle’s seat belts or air bag system manufactured or supplied by Tesla that occur under normal use for a period of 5 years or 60,000 miles (100,000 km), whichever comes first.

The Battery Limited Warranty covers the repair or replacement of any malfunctioning or defective Model S battery for a period of eight years or for the number of miles/km specified below for your battery configuration, whichever comes first. If you have a 60kWh battery, your battery is covered for 125,000 miles (200,000 km) and if you have an 85kWh battery, your battery is covered for an unlimited amount of miles/km. To provide you with even more assurance, the Battery Limited Warranty will also cover damage to your vehicle from a battery fire even if it is the result of driver error, subject to certain exclusions.

See your New Vehicle Limited Warranty in the touchscreen in the car, or download it from the “My Documents” section of My Tesla, for further details

This is what I read on the Climate XChange site:

"Tesla also has a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle program that makes used cars available for immediate purchase. These cars are sold “as is”."

LeftieBiker said:
This is what I read on the Climate XChange site:

"Tesla also has a Certified Pre-Owned vehicle program that makes used cars available for immediate purchase. These cars are sold “as is”."

well, I trust the information on Tesla's site over one from a third party.

Back