Official EV Project / Ecotality / free charger thread

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
wsbca said:
pksd1 said:
My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.

If it's the cable, and specifically the pilot wire in the cable, a replacement cable from Amazon is a fairly straightforward fix - I did this myself recently, only significant cost was the $170 for the cable..

See:

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=20693&p=439681#p439681

and

http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=13557&start=20

Great. I will look into it :)

pksd1 said:
My blink(EV project) started acting up yesterday. Would not recognize that my car is plugged in. Called blink support this morning and they said they will not repair it anymore, instead they want me to purchase their new unit. Not sure if I want another Blink product in my house with so many companies now selling EVSE units now.

Are there any other options to repair the current charger ? Unit is powered up, display is working. I am thinking its the cable.

My Blink started acting up as well earlier this year. Rather than repair I chose to replace and sold the Blink on eBay for parts for $80.

I bought a Clipper Creek to replace it.
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-6-50-plug/

Here is a blog article I wrote about the replacement process
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2015/06/27/replacing-a-faulty-blink-evse-with-a-clipper-creek-hcs-40p/

JPWhite said:
pksd1 said:

My Blink started acting up as well earlier this year. Rather than repair I chose to replace and sold the Blink on eBay for parts for $80.

I bought a Clipper Creek to replace it.
http://www.clippercreek.com/store/product/hcs-40p-32a-240v-charging-25-cord-nema-6-50-plug/

Here is a blog article I wrote about the replacement process
http://jpwhitenissanleaf.com/2015/06/27/replacing-a-faulty-blink-evse-with-a-clipper-creek-hcs-40p/

I was looking at the same Clipper Creek unit this morning, mainly because I won't have to re-wire my NEMA 6-50R receptacle. I appreciate the you documenting the install in your blog. It will come in handy if (most likely) I decide to swap out the unit.

Couple of observations from my dealing with it this morning.

1) Blink rep over the phone told me that a repair of this unit will be too expensive, and wanted me to purchase a new unit. She was not very helpful and professional, shouted in my ear while calling out her office mate, nearly blew out my eardrum. But later that day I received an email from Blink requesting my serial# of the unit and said he will look into it (I generated a trouble ticket last night from their support page).

Most likely they will tell me the same that the unit cannot be repaired by them. So I am not holding my breath. I will let everyone know it I get somewhere with Blink.

2) J1772 cable sold at amazon for $79 is currently under review (not sure what that means) due to customer complains. But they do sell "Leviton A2034-PEV 30-Amp" cable for $166. Amazon states that its "Level 1" cable, but that is incorrect. That cable is actually rated at Level 2. Yest its Amazon prime :)
http://store.leviton.com/Electric-Vehicle-Charge-Connector-A2034-PEV/dp/B00FH7EVN8#.VjvNbLczZpg

I've got the one from QuickChargePower: http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug-J1772-40-Amp-Plug-Cable-Assembly-JPC40A.htm on my OpenEVSE and it works well. The power conductors are paired, so you have to terminate them together inside the EVSE.

1419131146501-1161328217.jpeg

davewill said:
I've got the one from QuickChargePower: http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug-J1772-40-Amp-Plug-Cable-Assembly-JPC40A.htm on my OpenEVSE and it works well. The power conductors are paired, so you have to terminate them together inside the EVSE.

Good price Dave. I might order the one from Amazon(Leviton A2034), just because I can send it back to amzon, if does not work out, without any hassle. I have not opened the EVSE and have not seen the colors of the wires coming out of the Leviton, so I am bit perplexed about the orange and purple wires. If someone can post a picture of the final installation, it would be great. I am sure other EVSEs will have similar problems as our equipment ages.

PK

pksd1 said:
davewill said:

Good price Dave. I might order the one from Amazon(Leviton A2034), just because I can send it back to amzon, if does not work out, without any hassle. I have not opened the EVSE and have not seen the colors of the wires coming out of the Leviton, so I am bit perplexed about the orange and purple wires. If someone can post a picture of the final installation, it would be great. I am sure other EVSEs will have similar problems as our equipment ages.

PK

The purple wire in QuickChargePower's cord is the pilot. AFAIK there is not a standard color for these. The only wires generally used are 2 line wires which are generally black and red. A green equipment ground. And a blue/purple/etc. pilot. Additional wires that are sometimes available are a proximity. If the proximity wire is present it could be used by the EVSE to determine if the EV is connected and if the button on the J1772 handle is pressed. I don't think I've come across any EVSEs that do anything with that but some J1772 cordsets include it. Then additionally QuickChargePower's cord includes another wire that could be used for other functions like including a light in the J1772 handle or I think powering the unlock transmitter for a Tesla charge port?

Pictures aren't going to be helpful as everything EVSE and J1772 cordset might use different colors.

I would encourage your to contact QuickChargePower about their return policy. I haven't personally used one of their cords yet but while the Leviton cords seem high quality to me their aren't the most flexible and much prefer the new lighter more flexible cord that is included on the newer level 1 EVSEs that come with LEAFs vs the original one or a Levinton one that I have. If I was in the market for a new cord I would be buying theirs.

pksd1 said:

PK
I have the Leviton one on my Blink. It is much heavier and less flexible than the QCP cord, but the handle is first rate. More solid feeling than the QCP one. The Leviton is in my garage and the stiffness isn't an issue (I just unwind a couple of coils to plug in). The QCP one is on a portable that I keep in the car, so being able to pack it tighter is a big plus. Also, the portable EVSE is 40a capable thanks to the QCP cord. I would have had to settle for 30a with the Leviton.

I can absolutely guarantee that our J-Plug cable is the most flexible and lightest of any 30 amp or higher rated cable.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug-J1772-40-Amp-Plug-Cable-Assembly-JPC40A.htm

As stated above, ours product is custom made, so the wires are different that other "off-the-shelf" products.

There are 8 total conductors (40 amp):

2) Black - Line 1 (12 gauge)
2) Red - Line 2 (12 gauge)
1) Green - Ground (12 gauge)
1) Purple - Pilot pin (18 gauge)
1) Blue - not used (18 gauge)
1) Orange - not used (18 gauge)

There are 8 total conductors (80 amp):

2) Black - Line 1 (8 gauge)
2) Red - Line 2 (8 gauge)
1) Green - Ground (8 gauge)

We use this same cable in JESLA, JLong, and other products, so the unused 18 gauge wires do have purposes elsewhere.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/images/1419131146501-1161328217.jpeg[/img]

Our return policy is simple. Return the product in "as-new" condition, and AFTER we inspect it, we will refund your purchase price. Naturally, sending us a cable that you dragged through the mud won't get a refund. No scuffs, scratches, or other blemishes. Returned the way you got it.

Placed an order for "J-Plug - J1772 40 Amp Plug" with QCP. Looking forward to getting my blink EVSE fixed. Hate driving my backup ICE car. No word from Blink support, after initial contact !!

pksd1 said:
Placed an order for "J-Plug - J1772 40 Amp Plug" with QCP. Looking forward to getting my blink EVSE fixed. Hate driving my backup ICE car. No word from Blink support, after initial contact !!

No chance of using your portable EVSE that came with the car?

TonyWilliams said:
I can absolutely guarantee that our J-Plug cable is the most flexible and lightest of any 30 amp or higher rated cable.

http://shop.quickchargepower.com/J-Plug-J1772-40-Amp-Plug-Cable-Assembly-JPC40A.htm

As stated above, ours product is custom made, so the wires are different that other "off-the-shelf" products.

There are 8 total conductors (40 amp):

2) Black - Line 1 (12 gauge)
2) Red - Line 2 (12 gauge)
1) Green - Ground (12 gauge)

Is single #12 ground legit for 40 amps? NEC calls for #10. There is also a rule for up-sizing the grounding conductor when the current carrying conductors are oversized relative to the OCPD, unsure if it applies here due to 2x#12s.

JPWhite said:
pksd1 said:

My 112v does not come with EV rates, don't want to end up in tier-3 of standard DR rates. But I might still charge the car over the weekend and dive to work on Monday :)

pksd1 said:
JPWhite said:
pksd1 said:

My 112v does not come with EV rates, don't want to end up in tier-3 of standard DR rates. But I might still charge the car over the weekend and dive to work on Monday :)

Ah OK. In that case it may pay to have your portable EVSE upgraded by evseupgrade.com at some point in the future. You can get a pigtail to fit the 6-50 220v outlet therby having a backup to your dedicated EVSE. I never missed a beat when my Blink started acting up. I've used the 240v capability of my portable EVSE at many locations (mostly campgrounds). It's a good upgrade.

JPWhite said:
pksd1 said:
JPWhite said:

Ah OK. In that case it may pay to have your portable EVSE upgraded by evseupgrade.com at some point in the future. You can get a pigtail to fit the 6-50 220v outlet therby having a backup to your dedicated EVSE. I never missed a beat when my Blink started acting up. I've used the 240v capability of my portable EVSE at many locations (mostly campgrounds). It's a good upgrade.

Unfortunately my LEAF is a lease, not sure the dealer would appreciate me messing with the original charger when I turn the car back in next year.

Nope, shouldn't be too hard. The only out of the ordinary things are you want the ground wire to be the longest and the pilot wire shortest, and as you can see they put a "break away" female/male connector there. These things are done so that if for some reason the car rolled away while charging, or for some other reason the wire got pulled on the pilot would break first shutting the relays off and then ground stays connected the longest.

QueenBee said:
Nope, shouldn't be too hard. The only out of the ordinary things are you want the ground wire to be the longest and the pilot wire shortest, and as you can see they put a "break away" female/male connector there. These things are done so that if for some reason the car rolled away while charging, or for some other reason the wire got pulled on the pilot would break first shutting the relays off and then ground stays connected the longest.

That's good to know. I do have an inclined driveway :)

pksd1 said:
... That's good to know. I do have an inclined driveway :)
Always put in Park and set the emergency brake.
There is an old thread where someone apparently did not do that and inadvertantly left the LEAF running in Ready mode.
LEAF did not move because Creep was offsetting slope of driveway.
When LEAF high voltage pack disconnect happened the LEAF rolled down the sloped driveway and took out a fence.
Fortunately no people were hurt.
But that error could result in fatalities.

pksd1 said:
Opened the front panel on the EVSE. Does not seem too complicated to change out the charge cable. I hope the new cable arrives by Wednesday as I am off from work that (Veteran's day).

Are 3 and 4 just regular set screws holding down stranded wire or there are any sort of crimps?

Back