2016 Nissan LEAF Information - 30 kWh SV/SL, 24 kWh S

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Who really know if that one was indeed a MY2016? They could have just tested the new color on an old car as well.

Someone just posted a teaser video with the new colors on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/929383627119299/

Supposedly, the big reveal will be in 8 hours.

adriaanm said:
Someone just posted a teaser video with the new colors on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/groups/BayLeafs/permalink/929383627119299/

Supposedly, the big reveal will be in 8 hours.

That's OrientExpress... holding breath for "big surprise" in 8 hours.

I guess the embargo lifts at midnight today - we should have the news in a few hours. Is that midnight PST or EST ?

I am genuinely excited about this. A 120+ mile plus EV for Leaf prices could be a major game changer in the space.

It won't be 120 miles. At least not real world miles (as opposed to Nissan miles)...

mtndrew1 said:
I am genuinely excited about this. A 120+ mile plus EV for Leaf prices could be a major game changer in the space.

We got the OK to publish: OFFICIAL: 2016 Nissan LEAF SV, SL Electric Cars to Get 30 kWh Battery For 107 Miles EPA Range

https://transportevolved.com/2015/09/10/official-2016-nissan-leaf-sv-sl-electric-cars-to-get-30-kwh-battery-for-107-miles-epa-range/

Great news!

Nice to see that the capacity warranty on the 30 kWh pack is 8 years / 100,000 miles. (looks like it still requires 4BL before the warranty kicks in). This is based on the InsideEvs story : http://insideevs.com/2016-nissan-leaf-107-miles/

It's great to see the progress here. I think the only significant surprise to me (probably most of us) is the aforementioned capacity warranty extension.

I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response. Will VW/Ford just let their BEVs wither? (I assume yes for Ford, but maybe not for VW) Will they drop the prices? Or have they been silently working on improving their own batteries?

GetOffYourGas said:
It's great to see the progress here.... I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response.

I think the Volt and the Leaf should both do fine, as well as the new Toyota Prius, and the Tesla's. Lots of good options to reduce gasoline usage. The biggest concern is weather the market for BEV's/PHEV's can grow enough to become profitable, to encourage continued investment.

BernieTx said:
GetOffYourGas said:
It's great to see the progress here.... I just hope this is enough to compete with the second-generation Volt. I'm also looking forward to seeing what other BEV makers will do in response.

I think the Volt and the Leaf should both do fine, as well as the new Toyota Prius, and the Tesla's. Lots of good options to reduce gasoline usage. The biggest concern is weather the market for BEV's/PHEV's can grow enough to become profitable, to encourage continued investment.

I hope you are right. Note that I was referring to the very near future. I have no doubts that the Leaf 2.0 will be much more successful than the current one, even with 30kWh.

I think long-term, the BEV/PHEV market will have no trouble becoming profitable. The question in my mind is rather whether it will grow enough to support a viable/profitable public charging infrastructure. This is what is needed to move past the commuter BEV, and/or need for a generator a la PHEV/EREV.

NEWS TODAY: EPA 107 Mile range on the 30Kwh 2016 Leafs: (SV & SL models)

http://nissannews.com/en-US/nissan/usa/channels/us-united-states-nissan-models-leaf/releases/new-2016-nissan-leaf-now-offers-best-in-class-107-mile-range-in-affordable-fun-to-drive-package

*f*

If the SV $1,900 price increase is all due to the additional 6 kWh, that is a pricing of $316.67 per kWh.

Probably about right for Nissan's real production cost.

Means the $5,499 24 kWh battery is being sold ~28% below cost.

GetOffYourGas said:
I hope you are right. Note that I was referring to the very near future. I have no doubts that the Leaf 2.0 will be much more successful than the current one, even with 30kWh.

I think long-term, the BEV/PHEV market will have no trouble becoming profitable. The question in my mind is rather whether it will grow enough to support a viable/profitable public charging infrastructure. This is what is needed to move past the commuter BEV, and/or need for a generator a la PHEV/EREV.

It seems there are a lot of compliance cars, selling at a loss and only available in CARB states. My concern is that perhaps the market expects the BEVs at prices too low to allow for profitability. Regarding public charging infrastructure, it seems to me that a 107 mile car is still a commuter BEV, and the current infrastructure is already sufficient in many localities.

BernieTx said:
GetOffYourGas said:

It seems there are a lot of compliance cars, selling at a loss and only available in CARB states. My concern is that perhaps the market expects the BEVs at prices too low to allow for profitability. Regarding public charging infrastructure, it seems to me that a 107 mile car is still a commuter BEV, and the current infrastructure is already sufficient in many localities.

Agreed. Affordable 150-200 mile BEVs are coming. 2-3 years. And yes, that includes the Leaf. I would say that a 200-mile BEV, without public infrastructure, is also still a commuter BEV. You need both range and infrastructure to move beyond.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back