Uncomfortable Road Noise

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I installed my speaker upgrade, I installed a lot of dynamat.
it made the sound of the door closing much more solid.
But "upgrading" my tires really reduced the road noise.
If you lived closer I'd let you test drive it.

Hi KillaWhat,

Are you using Michelin MXM4 Tires?

It seems UK has different tyre models, I've spent half a day today doing research and most important factor I learnt is that noise level that is displayed (EU tyre label regulations) can be very misleading, as often the lower it is, the higher the interior/cabin noise, probably because the noise is directed inside the car, to make it score better outside. I'll try to blog my research results later.

In my case I've just ordered Continental "Conti.eContact Electric" tyres (replacing Michelin Energy Saver Plus), and I must admit my curiosity is the main reason why I decided to buy it (£305 with fitting, 4 tyres), and I will update my blog post with interior noise in 2-3 weeks time. I'm a bit skeptical, but reducing noise just by 3 to 5 dBs should be noticeable and maybe I will get a bit better range, I'm hoping for 3 to 5 miles extra (3-5%) per full charge. Will see how it goes.

emsik1001 said:
Hi KillaWhat,

It seems UK has different tyre models, I've spent half a day today doing research and most important factor I learnt is that noise level that is displayed (EU tyre label regulations) can be very misleading, as often the lower it is, the higher the interior/cabin noise, probably because the noise is directed inside the car, to make it score better outside. I'll try to blog my research results later.

In my case I've just ordered Continental "Conti.eContact Electric" tyres (replacing Michelin Energy Saver Plus), and I must admit my curiosity is the main reason why I decided to buy it (£305 with fitting, 4 tyres), and I will update my blog post with interior noise in 2-3 weeks time. I'm a bit skeptical, but reducing noise just by 3 to 5 dBs should be noticeable and maybe I will get a bit better range, I'm hoping for 3 to 5 miles extra (3-5%) per full charge. Will see how it goes.

So, how did it go? Was the cabin noise on rough asfalt roads redused by the new tires?

My Leaf 2015 has Michelin Energy Saver+, 205/55 R16, tires which has a annoying singing resonance noise already from 20 mph and up on the typical rough asfalt roads of north europe.

Hi

I didn't have my locking nut key, and Nissan didn't have this one in the warehouse, so after 2 weeks of trying to sort it out (eventually removed it with master key, and replaced with new set), I finally got the tyres changed yesterday, and the result is disappointing.

There is no difference in noise, it's practically the same (I've used decibel meter in the same spots (x4), with the same speed and the same tyre pressure)

I though it is rolling more, but I've just checked carwings and almost the same (5.5 to 6.0 miles/kWh during weekends without motorway driving)

I emailed continental today, to double check if I my tyres is "conti silent" (I think econtact electric vs econtact hybrid might be different?) as I don't see the print on the tyres, and their website says all econtact tyres should have it, but I suspect the website statement might be inaccurate.

I'm very disappointed. I particularly dislike this kind of marketing, so I will complain a bit to continental customer service team and see what I will achieve, not hoping for much here, so I might do a review on my blog with real life test results and at least warn other buyers.

Take care

emsik1001 said:

Thanks for the warning!
No meaning to switch to those Continentals then.

From what I've heard Tekna suffers less from road noise compared to Acenta, but I haven't compared them yet myself.
Leaf Tekna (in Europe) has Dunlop Enasave tires (Dunlop EnaSave 215/50 R17).
I can't find them in 16" but mayby Dunlop Sport BluResponse 205/55 R16 94V XL also is ok.

Another alternative could be Goodyear EfficientGrip Performance 205/55 R16 94W XL.

But I guess you don't really know which one is best on your Leaf Acenta until you've tested them all, and who can afford to do that..

BEV4EVer said:
emsik1001 said:
Hi KillaWhat,

So, how did it go? Was the cabin noise on rough asfalt roads redused by the new tires?

My Leaf 2015 has Michelin Energy Saver+, 205/55 R16, tires which has a annoying singing resonance noise already from 20 mph and up on the typical rough asfalt roads of north europe.

Fyi, just switched to winter tires but the resonance noise is still exactly the same.
So, the tires are most probably not the cause in my case.
The Nissan garage has no idea.

I think that anyone who complains that they hear "noise" when they go FAST on COBBLESTONE STREETS has answered their own question. Don't do that, or don't complain. That's like complaining that when I cross the stream with my car, the insides gets wet... Not the fault of the car. I have owned dozens of cars in the past 40 years, and the Leaf is the quietest, and most stable car I have every owned. It just doesn't handle like my Mazda Miata....

powersurge said:
I think that anyone who complains that they hear "noise" when they go FAST on COBBLESTONE STREETS has answered their own question. Don't do that, or don't complain. That's like complaining that when I cross the stream with my car, the insides gets wet... Not the fault of the car. I have owned dozens of cars in the past 40 years, and the Leaf is the quietest, and most stable car I have every owned. It just doesn't handle like my Mazda Miata....

Sorry but it wasn't a general complaint, the resonance noise we (including a Nissan mechanic) hear in my Leaf isn't there on any other Leaf's I've used.

BEV4EVer said:
powersurge said:

Sorry but it wasn't a general complaint, the resonance noise we (including a Nissan mechanic) hear in my Leaf isn't there on any other Leaf's I've used.
If no set of tires work and the problem does not exist on other Leaf vehicles, is has to be an issue with tire alignment then. You have either the front or back set dragging down the road slightly and the faster you go, the more sound that is produced as wasted energy (tire wear and sound production). I can get this happen to my leaf when I approach +90 mph because I need to get an alignment done.

I just read the last few posts about tire noise and wonder if the Michelin Energy Savers that came on my 2015 SL are the cause of the faint whine I hear (I just assumed it was gear noise). The 2011 came with Bridgestone Ecopias which became progressively louder as the miles increased. I eventually replaced them with Michelin MXM4s which were much quieter (also better handling and traction under dry conditions) but they did reduce range a bit due to increased rolling resistance. I may look for the Dunlops when I need new tires.

robi17 said:
Road noise is one of the major problems for human life so every person can reduce road noise from their house. I can say that noise reduction material is the one kind of solution for it. Using a noise barrier to reduce all kind of uncomfortable road noise from the house.

Perfect. Now just don't leave your house. Who needs a quiet back yard in which to enjoy dinner when you can hole yourself up in your house and shut every door and window?

LeftieBiker said:
You are arguing with a spammer.

Rb8k5oEiyJrp5LK7e648pBz3RHGdCiBqtF1uCVAUmNQ.jpg

:D

Back