Proper EV Etiquette - Charging/Parking

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UBUYGAS

Hello, fellow Plug-IN Vehicle owner,

Within the past 5 years and after speaking to thousands of Plug-IN Vehicle owners
I have established the following:

"Electric Vehicle Charging Guidelines" for use with Public Charging Stations.
(otherwise, know as the EVguidelines by Sal Cameli)

Please Note:
We don’t know the level of Public EV charging knowledge of the person receiving these
Guidelines and so we need to explain every aspect. This should be a document that the
new EV owner reads before attempting to use public charging stations for the first time.
We want to prepare them for any situation. So the guidelines need to be thorough.

The attached PDF below lists the top 11 EV Guidelines. Please visit http://EVguidelines.org for the complete list.

On the website under the "PDF" tab there are files you can download, print, trim and hand-out which will
allow you to teach Novice EV Owners some proper EV Etiquette when using charging stations in public.

Thank you,

Sal Cameli
aka UBUYGAS

http://ev-guidelines.org/EVGuidelines_Handout_7by10higrez.pdf

EVguidelines.jpg

The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream. I understand the need for it now when demand for charging stations is higher than supply, but it really is going to hurt adoption.

garsh said:
The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream. I understand the need for it now when demand for charging stations is higher than supply, but it really is going to hurt adoption.
Not necessarily. As the range of EVs increases, the need for routine opportunity charging should decrease, making congestion at local L2 charge stations moot. This could be a problem that goes away in a few years.

garsh said:
The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream..
I don't think it "requires" people to move their car. ;-)
1: It's asking people to move their cars, not requiring it.. That's the thing about etiquette.
It's ICE driver etiquette not to stay in the mini-mart too long after your fill is done (if you're "shopping in the mini-mart", you park). Especially in the smaller stations. And most people do that. But not always.
Sometimes you see a car all full, but the driver nowhere to be seen. Infrequently, I've been behind that person in line. Now, with the number of gas stations and pumps, it's less of an issue than with EVs, but it's still proper etiquette.
2: It's not always that clear cut. For instance, if it's a charging spot where you can plug in from more than one spot, a placard saying "when I'm done, you can unplug me" is also sufficient. (or just the understanding that you will be unplugged if done)

Although I'm not sure any of it really matters..
Fact is, we really don't need reminders for charging etiquette tho..
People who are thoughtful will just do that..
People who aren't, won't.
Posting pics is fun, but it's not going to change anyone's behavior.

I don't understand why anyone would ever think proper etiquette in any situation is a bad thing, but that's me.. ;-)
(Note: that doesn't mean I "always" use proper etiquette.. But I still think it's a good thing.. :) )

desiv

desiv said:
garsh said:
The fact that we have a "charging etiquette" that requires people to move a car at their inconvenience will be a strong reason why EV's don't become mainstream..
I don't think it "requires" people to move their car. ;-)
1: It's asking people to move their cars, not requiring it.. That's the thing about etiquette.
Exactly. In order to follow the etiquette, you are required to move your vehicle to free up a charging space. I don't understand why you're trying to be contrary when you obviously understand & agree.

That's a hard thing to do when you're at work & busy. It requires you to take time out of your work to go to the parking garage, move your car, and hope you can find another parking space. it can be a pain if it's a full lot/garage. It's certainly the proper thing to do while charging stations are scarce, but most people aren't going to want to put up with that hassle every day.

garsh said:
In order to follow the etiquette, you are required to move your vehicle to free up a charging space. I don't understand why you're trying to be contrary when you obviously understand & agree..
I said specifically you are NOT required to follow it.
Not sure why you don't understand that.. I was very specific that it's NOT required. ;-)

I also don't think it's matters...
Etiquette isn't something that you can require, and is just how people will behave.

Long gone are the days that people feel they "have" to follow etiquette.

desiv

Would it be a smart idea to keep your charging port open to tell other people that you need them to charge your car next. Here in Austin TX we have unlimited charging for $5.00 a month. I was at a charging station that had two chargers and I was only using one. But when I was about to leave I noticed that they had a Nissan Leaf with the charging port open. I just turned on the charger again with the phone APP and plugged them in. I noticed on Carwing, they charged for 30 minutes or so and then unplugged the car.

I'm sure this wouldn't work if we had to pay for other peoples charging, but it's an idea.

I think the Golden Rule pretty much covers it. As an EV owner I appreciate it when people move in a timely manner so I can have a charging space. Why wouldn't I try to provide the same courtesy? Obviously not always possible in every situation as any reasonable person understands.

Tom,

The only person this would piss off is the #EVHOLE, And who cares if that pisses them off. They are the A$$es in this situation, The People who move their EV after they are done charging would never be labelled an #EVHOLE.

Have You registered for FaceBook Yet?

If you have then come on over and Join the other 263 people who have signed up: http://www.evhole.com/

Sal
aka Lasareath
aka #UBUYGAS

TomT said:
I believe that signs like this are totally and completely counterproductive... All they do is piss off people and make them more likely to do exactly the same thing next time...

Lasareath said:

With a quickcharger I can understand being right near there to move the car. With L2 it just might not be possible. For example we regularly drive to another city and park at a specific parking lot that has L2 EVSEs. We plug the car in and then take a ferry to where we want to go and spend the day. I am not going to get back on the ferry to come back once the charge is complete just to move the car. I assume situations like this for L2 spots is pretty common unless it is a workplace charger or something you use on a very consistent basis.

My Goal is to mock the small percentage of people who are EVHOLE's. To have fun and get a laugh and then the people who are enjoying themselves by laughing at these people will most likely not do this themselves because they don't want to be an EVHOLE as well.

But if you think you have ideas on how to teach more people and get the word out then by all means come and join my facebook group and post all you want.

I am on Instagram too, posting away trying to teach people that they shouldn't be an EVHOLE.

Sal

GetOffYourGas said:
Lasareath said:
The only person this would piss off is the #EVHOLE, And who cares if that pisses them off.

If your goal is to change their behavior, then this is not a good approach.

In this situation it's completely understandable that you wouldn't come back to move your car.

But, if there was a sign that said 4 hours max charging time. Would you come back or not park at all?,

Would you be upset if you got a ticket and the car was towed?

kaikara said:
With a quickcharger I can understand being right near there to move the car. With L2 it just might not be possible. For example we regularly drive to another city and park at a specific parking lot that has L2 EVSEs. We plug the car in and then take a ferry to where we want to go and spend the day. I am not going to get back on the ferry to come back once the charge is complete just to move the car. I assume situations like this for L2 spots is pretty common unless it is a workplace charger or something you use on a very consistent basis.

In this lot the chargers are free and you are allowed to to park for as long as you pay for so their is no chance of getting towed/ticketed. If the signage stated that parking was only 4 hours or there would other rules I would follow them. I was just pointing out that with L2 chargers it is not always possible to be nearby to move your vehicle.

Lasareath said:
In this situation it's completely understandable that you wouldn't come back to move your car.

But, if there was a sign that said 4 hours max charging time. Would you come back or not park at all?,

kaikara said:

Thanks.

EVHOLE's are people who do not abide by the rules. Who don't care about #EVsigns

The very same people who park in Handicap parking Spots and are not handicapped or do not have Handicap License Plates or tags.

Basically An A$$hol3 driver who just happened to buy an EV.

kaikara said:
In this lot the chargers are free and you are allowed to to park for as long as you pay for so their is no chance of getting towed/ticketed. If the signage stated that parking was only 4 hours or there would other rules I would follow them. I was just pointing out that with L2 chargers it is not always possible to be nearby to move your vehicle.

Lasareath said:

kaikara said:

If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot. Just because the situation is difficult does not make it acceptable. Everybody can find reasons why they are special. Find a paying spot or a hotel type spot where you pay for parking and the hotel throws in the charge. We have a surprising number of hotels in Dallas that offer it though I don't think many EVs use it.

mjblazin said:
If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot. Just because the situation is difficult does not make it acceptable. Everybody can find reasons why they are special. Find a paying spot or a hotel type spot where you pay for parking and the hotel throws in the charge. We have a surprising number of hotels in Dallas that offer it though I don't think many EVs use it.
Just isn't so. If that were so, then charging stations wouldn't be put at airports, train stations, theaters, restaurants, etc. At all of those places, you're going to leave your car and not come back until you're done. I'm certainly not going to abandon a steak for 20 minutes, or miss part of a movie just to move my car. Even at a shopping mall, I'm probably not going to interrupt my shopping to do it. It's just not reasonable. That's not to say you shouldn't have some judgement. If you don't need the charge to get home and you know you're going to be gone significantly longer than the car will actually spend charging, just don't charge.

This makes the stations that bill for the entire time you're plugged in a problem at some locations. One of the local train station/transit centers has a bunch of Blink EVSEs, but if I take a train or a bus from there, I'm obviously not going to be back for a long time...so I probably can't use it.

Of course if there are posted parking limitations, those MUST be obeyed.

mjblazin said:
If you cannot get back to your car after it finished charging within 5 or 10 minutes, you really have no business leaving your car in the spot..
In general I kind of agree, but not totally.
It's still pretty situational..

There's a spot where I charge frequently. Almost never another EV there, but it can happen.
I almost always stay with the car, but sometimes if my wife is with me, we might stop to grab a bit to eat.

When that happens, there's a change the car will get full before we're done.

But the layout there is great in that the charger can reach multiple spots.
I park there and plug in and charge and we go eat. However, I have a note printed up that says that if my car is full, you can unplug me. If the 3rd bar is flashing and you need a charge, you can unplug me.

I also include my phone in case someone needs to text/call me...
(And I always check in with Plugshare so I can be messaged there as well.)

There's another guy I run into infrequently there who does something similar. He doesn't leave a note, but I've chatted with him a few times.. He's totally OK with me unplugging him if he's full.

That's a nicely designed spot tho, where the cord can reach multiple spots..
That's not always the case, and if it won't I make sure I'm back when it's done charging (or stay with the car).

I do agree tho, that if it's going to be hours, you should be able to move your car to a non-charging spot.

desiv

Back