How the rear wiper blade is held on

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
OK I give up... how do you release the rear wiper blade from the wiper arm?
Alright, don't everyone answer at once :lol:
Never mind I figured it out, it just snaps off, after you rotate it so the flat spot on the attachment point on the blade aligns with the opening on the arm.

LTLFTcomposite said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
Never mind I figured it out, it just snaps off, after you rotate it so the flat spot on the attachment point on the blade aligns with the opening on the arm.

Good info, thanks!

Skywagon said:
Or you can just remove the wiper motor assembly completely and put a nice cast aluminum plug in the hole... makes for a clean look:

6148963081_a48cce2377_z.jpg

I never use a rear wiper and it always holds dust where the wiper blade meets the glass. Plus I like the cleaner look of the wiper (and emblems) removed.

You could install a real nice LED backup light in place of the wiper, and control it with the rear wiper switch!

I discovered this when i had my leaf tinted at the place i've gone for years.. the reason they had to remove it, is they lay the tint out on the outside, to cut it, etc.. so they can just put it on inside.. they don't want to be cutting on the inside (where they could accidentally cut your rear defroster traces), they do all the windows on the outside, it's just easier.

LTLFTcomposite said:
LTLFTcomposite said:

I had a tougher time and didn't want to break it so took it off by taking the whole arm assembly off by the nut; my LEAF is about two years old so the back wiper was streaking badly -- it turns out that leaving it on the arm made it a bit easier to just replace the wiper blade insert. I used this one (do a search on amazon):

Trico 47-700 7mm Break to Fit Narrow Refill - 15" to 22" (Sold as Pair)

You'll have to slide it gently and make sure the side channels don't get pinched but otherwise the new insert gives the back wiper a new lease on life -- the insert 'pack' includes two blades so at only $6.99 you'll get 2 refills or about a $3.50 each ... not bad. Afterwards I came across this step-by-step from the SF Bay Leaf guys (link below); used the Trico Force High Performance blades for the fronts but kept the OEM's and may try inserts on them at the next change -- never did like the OEM's on the front almost from day one so wanted to try something different --- so far so good; a little Rain-X spray on the windows also helps.

http://sfbayleafs.org/technical/diys/nissan-leaf-winter-wiper-tuneup/

LTLFTcomposite said:

Still had to remove my arm to really get what you were saying, so being as a picture is worth a thousand words...

Rotate the blade to position shown, then grab the back half of it and PULL. After 4+ years of road grime (in the case of my own) it's going to feel like the whole thing is welded together, and it's going to break before it gives, but persevere and it will eventually come apart:

photo52.JPG

I had issues with wiper blade missing spots even with a brand new one (Trico 10-B Exact Fit Rear Wiper Blade 10"). I searched High and Low for a modern "blade style" rear wiper blade only to discover that most still use the older technology.

I finally found this one, TRICO Rear Premium Beam Wiper Blade, 10" Inch Pt# 55-100.
It was about $10 on ebay with free shipping. You may be able to find it at your local advanced auto parts.

I installed it, and it works great. It was terrible and rainy today and it works fantastic. First time I've been able to actually see out my rear window when its raining.

Thats the exact one I have.
I've paid $7.97, $8.55 and $8.00 from Amazon, all with free shipping. Currently it looks like it's going for $8.92 and free shipping, I agree it's a nice wiper blade.

Back