End of Lease Strategies?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
LTLFTcomposite said:
MrIanB said:
Inspection done today, total $430. $55 for curb rash on a rim and $375 for spider chip on windshield. I have 2 months to fix before returning in June.

Ian B
Don't forget the $500 of forgiveness if you buy or lease another Nissan, in addition to waiving the disposition fee.

Thanks, the inspector mentioned but the car is going back and not buying another Nissan ev. Looking at a BMW i3 as a lease.

Ian B

MrIanB said:
LTLFTcomposite said:
MrIanB said:
Inspection done today, total $430. $55 for curb rash on a rim and $375 for spider chip on windshield. I have 2 months to fix before returning in June.

Ian B
Don't forget the $500 of forgiveness if you buy or lease another Nissan, in addition to waiving the disposition fee.

Thanks, the inspector mentioned but the car is going back and not buying another Nissan ev. Looking at a BMW i3 as a lease.

Ian B
When they want to hit you with those kinds of charges for leasing, especially considering the cars are going to auction where a spider chip and a little curb rash isn't really going to effect price, I can see letting them go for good.

carolle said:
My original lease is also 2-year. From your statement, I will be eligible to get CVRP $2500 if I'm extending 1-year, because the total lease would be 36 months.

cwerdna said:
^^^
Some people got very low monthly payments because they put a huge amount down (not a good idea). I recall seeing ads every now and then for $99/mo before tax, title and license Leaf S leases, due to a huge down payment.

No, paying huge down payment is very good for this 1-year extension
. This 1-year lease extension offer is simply you pay the same monthly payment. So, having lower monthly payment with big down payment is obviously a win.

In this case yes it would be advantageous but in the event of a total loss you would be out your entire down payment. In the three lease deals I have done (Lexus HS, Nissan LEAF, and now BMW i3) I have never put any money down or even a first payment usually just signed and drove off or only paid license fees.

Ian B[/quote]
Don't forget the $500 of forgiveness if you buy or lease another Nissan, in addition to waiving the disposition fee.[/quote]

Ian B[/quote]
When they want to hit you with those kinds of charges for leasing, especially considering the cars are going to auction where a spider chip and a little curb rash isn't really going to effect price, I can see letting them go for good.[/quote]

Also, my residual was $15,200 and the car is not worth that much. They can have it and take the loss.

Ian B

MrIanB said:

Also, my residual was $15,200 and the car is not worth that much. They can have it and take the loss.

Ian B
Have you talked with NMAC?
They have been offering $5,000 off residual on 2013.

He's just one guy and it's none of my business but I'm still curious, is $430 plus $400 disposition fee even of any significance to MrIanB?
I would have liked to be part of keeping the party going but I was starting to feel like the guy who paid a grand for a DVD player. The runway is getting shorter for suboptimal decisions, so I was happy to pass the early adopter baton, and I'll be back when the 200 mile EVs are under $20k.

TimLee said:
MrIanB said:

Ian B
Have you talked with NMAC?
They have been offering $5,000 off residual on 2013.

Have not spoken to them but not interested in keeping car. Moving on to another ev. Thanks for info.

Ian B

LTLFTcomposite said:
He's just one guy and it's none of my business but I'm still curious, is $430 plus $400 disposition fee even of any significance to MrIanB?
I would have liked to be part of keeping the party going but I was starting to feel like the guy who paid a grand for a DVD player. The runway is getting shorter for suboptimal decisions, so I was happy to pass the early adopter baton, and I'll be back when the 200 mile EVs are under $20k.

Don't feel bad Lt, it's like you said $430 plus disposition fee but I have a $500 credit from Nissan to apply towards it. The car served the purpose with no issues at all, all battery bars still there and only has 10,500 miles in 34 months. I am considering a BMW i3 as my next ev.

Ian B

cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
cwerdna said:
Woah. You received it March 24th and the offer only has 7 days of validity left?

My lease end on my '13 is also late July 2015 but I haven't seen any such snail mail yet... Hmm. I wonder if I'll receive something similar.
Long story short, after speaking to one person at NMAC and being told to call their lease maturity dept at 888-813-1727, I found out I do have 2 offers on my '13 Leaf SV now:
- the 12 month lease extension w/the same payment amounts I'm making now w/2 months payment wavier OR
- $5000 discount on the lease buyout, valid from April 1st to 31st (I've gotten no snail mail about this yet)

Hmmm... I've just emailed the CVRP folks.
Ok, I heard back from the CVRP folks.

This is part of their response (hope they don't mind me posting it):
After extending your lease for the required 30+ months, you may now apply for the rebate. You will be asked to provide a copy of your lease agreement as one of the supporting documents. Please include a copy of both the original lease and the lease extension/purchase agreement for the buy out.

The 18-month requirement only applies to vehicles purchased or leased after May 5, 2014.
Woohoo!!!! :D
CARB has changed their mind (err... provided direction this week) and the CVRP folks have to abide by it. I'm SOL on this deal now. I just got back confirmation that lease-extensions and buy-outs where the lease was originally shorter than 30 months are ineligible for CVRP. :(

UGH! :(

The post at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=420565#p420565" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; prompted me to email back the person who originally responded. She confirmed the bad news.

cwerdna said:
... I just got back confirmation that lease-extensions and buy-outs where the lease was originally shorter than 30 months are ineligible for CVRP. :(

Sorry cwerdna :cry:
You have been a great MNL contributor long before you leased the LEAF.
We were rooting for you getting CVRP break on lease extension or reduced residual purchase.

They are no longer allowing CVRP for extensions.

carolle said:
My original lease is also 2-year. From your statement, I will be eligible to get CVRP $2500 if I'm extending 1-year, because the total lease would be 36 months.

TimLee said:
cwerdna said:
... I just got back confirmation that lease-extensions and buy-outs where the lease was originally shorter than 30 months are ineligible for CVRP. :(

Sorry cwerdna :cry:
You have been a great MNL contributor long before you leased the LEAF.
We were rooting for you getting CVRP break on lease extension or reduced residual purchase.
Thanks!

Oh well. I'm not so inclined to extend my lease now. And, the $5K discount on the lease buy out has become significantly less attractive, as well. :(

Hopefully some folks (if any) who jumped on the deal immediately before the decision this week didn't get hosed too.

cwerdna said:
Hopefully some folks (if any) who jumped on the deal immediately before the decision this week didn't get hosed too.
Yeah. Their status is unknown to me. Hope they didn't get hosed.

I was given the contact info of a person in ARB to attempt to appeal (plead my case) since the CSE/CVRP folks originally told me yes. Unfortunately, the ARB person still said no. I think I'm out of luck.

My lease for a 2013 SL is up in late July, and I think I'm going to end up extending it for a year, but I haven't received any word of a "2 months free" offer for renewing. Do I need to contact Nissan to get that offer?

Is anyone out there considering buying the car at end-of-lease (with the predicted -5000 adjustment from NMAC)?

Considering it myself, because I need lowest-cost car solution for the next 10-15 years but want to keep using
EV or plug-in hybrid. But I just can't afford $3600/year on a car, which is approx. my current lease costs.
Even if it is EV and saving $ on gas.

Will the '13 Leafs' battery ever be upgradable? Or is that a pipe-dream?
Because I do run into range issues on occasion, and then I have to rent an ICE.

Tell me I'm crazy & why!
Or what are you '13 owners planning to buy/lease until next gen EVs are reality?

Pugz;

I am considering buying my MY13 S at the end of my 3'rd year. My current residual at 2 years is ~$17,500, but I extended for 1 year with the 2 months free. I am a little confused about what the remaining residual will be at the end of year 3, but if it is around $16,500 and I can get -$5000 adjustment, I would purchase it for ~$11,500. At that time it would only have about 24k miles, be exclusively trickle charged, and have resided only in the NorthWest. That would seem like a good combination of factors for any used Leaf!

-m

^^^
For me, the $5000 off the lease buyout price was good only for a limited time, April 1st to 30th.

I'd imagine there's time limit is true for everyone else, as well. It's unknown how much, if any, they will give in terms of discount at the end of year 3.

I received a call from NMAC last week regarding the years extension (with two month's credit) or the $5000 off. They said I had until June 30th to decide. Sounds like it's a moving window for now.

Poof! It's gone.

Turned in my lease, today. No charges for excessive wear and tear. NMAC just didn't give me enough incentive to keep it. I'm happy to be down to one car again. The Volt does what I want it to do. Electric mode a vast majority of the time with a ICE backup, if I need it.

Back