Leaf Spy and Leaf Spy Pro

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The next release will include Watts used to the right of the graph when displaying the Energy Usage graph.

Here is what it looks like using simulated data.
tmbRCB.png

There is also a new option for reading the Tire pressures.

For those with new Leafs that support Tire Registration from the Dash and have found that LeafSpy does not report the Tire pressures this should fix that issue.

This method takes a little longer so if the original method works I would not select this one.

8V1pMF.png

When released this version will also fix:

* If rear heater is turned on don't go into night mode
* Accept VINs with spaces and dashes (seen in Japan, test vehicles???)
* Default to English even if device language set to Norwegian, French or German
* Fix minor bug in Reading DTCs on very slow devices. Fix one typo in a DTC name.
* When starting up app restore last Elevation/Speed and Charge graphs that were previously saved.
* Charge graph now displays both the Power reported by Leaf as well as calculated power (V*A). If Level 3 (QC) is being limited (i.e. from Solar) Leaf was reporting 3.5kW even when Solar was only providing 1kW to the DC charge port.

I won't have a QC graph until next week but here is what it looks like charging at L2. The Blue line is what Leaf reports as charge power and the green is V*A going into battery. Amps is reported in 0.5 amp steps. (Don't have android screenshot of this so here it is from iOS LeafSpy)
i0cZ6L.png

Turbo3 said:
GerryAZ said:
I have a question for the experts: What shunt order should be entered in settings? I have been using 4812. My new 2015 shows a lot of shunt activity with the 4812 setting.

Thanks,
Gerry
Shunt order does not change how many are active. Just the order of highlighting.

I worded the question badly. I realize the shunt activity shown does not depend upon the shunt order, but some of the red (shunt active) bars are lower voltage than blue (shunt not active) bars so I suspect I have the wrong shunt order programmed. I would appreciate some guidance on shunt order.

Thanks,
Gerry

Keep in mind that the 96 battery voltages are not all read out at the same time by the BMS. They are read out serially at 19,200 baud. Which means the load on each cell can be very different for each voltage read out. So a higher voltage could be because there was a lower load at that time and a lower voltage on another cell because a high load was applied making it hard to see the effect of the shunts which draw very little power. The shunt resistors appear to be 430 ohms each. So about 10 ma of current when active.

Until someone reverse engineers the BMS code we will not know for sure the order.

The cell lose test done by LeafSpy when the Leaf is in park and below VLBW is the best way to detect bad cells.

Turbo3 said:
Keep in mind that the 96 battery voltages are not all read out at the same time by the BMS. They are read out serially at 19,200 baud. Which means the load on each cell can be very different for each voltage read out. So a higher voltage could be because there was a lower load at that time and a lower voltage on another cell because a high load was applied making it hard to see the effect of the shunts which draw very little power. The shunt resistors appear to be 430 ohms each. So about 10 ma of current when active.

Until someone reverse engineers the BMS code we will not know for sure the order.

The cell lose test done by LeafSpy when the Leaf is in park and below VLBW is the best way to detect bad cells.

Thanks Turbo.

My battery is fine, but I wanted to make sure I have LEAF Spy set up correctly for the 2015 because I am meeting a fellow LEAF driver this weekend to take readings on his battery (which he suspects is low on capacity). If no one knows the correct shunt order, I will just leave it programmed the way it has always been.

Thanks again,
Gerry

GerryAZ said:
Turbo3 said:

Thanks Turbo.

My battery is fine, but I wanted to make sure I have LEAF Spy set up correctly for the 2015 because I am meeting a fellow LEAF driver this weekend to take readings on his battery (which he suspects is low on capacity). If no one knows the correct shunt order, I will just leave it programmed the way it has always been.

Thanks again,
Gerry
I misspoke a little. It is possible that the group of four voltages that make up the shunt group could be measured at the same time depending on the architecture of the IC that measures the voltage. There are 24 ICs one for each group of four cells. Data passes from one to the next until it gets back to the CPU. If each IC has a dedicated A2D for each cell and all sample the cell voltage at the same time the voltages will be in sync but if it only has one A2D that gets switched then each cell will be measured with a different time offset.

Turbo3 said:
mbender said:
I have Leaf Spy Version 0.34.42 and it has almost completely stopped working/connecting. I repeatedly get the following error: [BtS] read failed, socket might be closed or timeout, read ret: -1. For a while I could get it to work by going into Bluetooth Settings (on Nexus 5/Android) and disconnecting from the car and then trying again. Now that doesn't work, even with rebooting, turning the car off and back on, etc. I'm tired of trying different to find a way "through" the cause(s) of the error. It was working fine before a recent update, but that may be coincidence. I don't think anything is wrong with the OBDII device, as it was working before and it just sits there.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered, but I want to get it back working again ASAP!
First reboot the Nexus 5 to clear any bad connections.

Then I would try letting Leaf Spy turn Bluetooth on and off. Turn Bluetooth off on your Nexus 5. Then start Leaf Spy. You can also go to the Leaf Spy settings menu and check the "Auto Enable & Disable Bluetooth" so you don't get asked the question about enabling Bluetooth each time you start the app.

I am charging up my Nexus 7 and will test it later today to see if I have any problems. What version of Android does the Nexus 5 use?
Ok, this worked for a month or two, but now I get the error every time. I have not been able to use Leaf Spy for weeks. Any further suggestions? Is my OBDII unit bad? (It is firmly plugged in and I always have the car on when I try.) I looked in the Play Store and couldn't even find the regular $9.99 Spy to see if there was a newer version. Perhaps it is no longer being offered or supported?

Thanks (anyone) for further suggestions!

Mine does that about every month. With the car on what I do is disconnect the OBD wait a minute and plug it back in, then turn on Bluetooth without turning on Leaf Spy, then pair with the OBD connector again. Then I start Leaf Spy and it's all good. I think the OBD Bluetooth connector gets hung up, and unplugging it sort of re-boots it. It's worth a shot.

mbender said:
Ok, this worked for a month or two, but now I get the error every time. I have not been able to use Leaf Spy for weeks. Any further suggestions? Is my OBDII unit bad? (It is firmly plugged in and I always have the car on when I try.) I looked in the Play Store and couldn't even find the regular $9.99 Spy to see if there was a newer version. Perhaps it is no longer being offered or supported?

Leaf Spy is still on PlayStore. Latest version is 0.34.42.

Turn on "Trace ELM" and send me the trace.

iOS version of Leaf Spy Pro is now available for testing.

mbender said:
Turbo3 said:
mbender said:
I have Leaf Spy Version 0.34.42 and it has almost completely stopped working/connecting. I repeatedly get the following error: [BtS] read failed, socket might be closed or timeout, read ret: -1. For a while I could get it to work by going into Bluetooth Settings (on Nexus 5/Android) and disconnecting from the car and then trying again. Now that doesn't work, even with rebooting, turning the car off and back on, etc. I'm tired of trying different to find a way "through" the cause(s) of the error. It was working fine before a recent update, but that may be coincidence. I don't think anything is wrong with the OBDII device, as it was working before and it just sits there.

Thanks for any help and sorry if this has been covered, but I want to get it back working again ASAP!
First reboot the Nexus 5 to clear any bad connections.

Then I would try letting Leaf Spy turn Bluetooth on and off. Turn Bluetooth off on your Nexus 5. Then start Leaf Spy. You can also go to the Leaf Spy settings menu and check the "Auto Enable & Disable Bluetooth" so you don't get asked the question about enabling Bluetooth each time you start the app.

I am charging up my Nexus 7 and will test it later today to see if I have any problems. What version of Android does the Nexus 5 use?

as suggested, it has been my experience that its easier to reboot the ELM. just unplug it for 5 seconds and replug than launch LS. Once I did have to completely remove LS and re download it but considering nearly 3 years (or maybe 2??) of use, it has been pretty reliable but the connect problems happen so often, I really don't pay much attention to them but that is how BT works around here :)

Turbo3 said:
The next release will include Watts used to the right of the graph when displaying the Energy Usage graph.

Here is what it looks like using simulated data.
tmbRCB.png

Thanks Turbo.

I've been driving my leaf for a month now and just purchased Leaf Spy, and I'm already a big fan of the app. I wanted to ask about the Watts on the Energy Usage Graph. I'm finding on my screen that each item for energy usage is displaying not Watts, but some other unit, which may be an increment of Watts. Here's a screen shot (captured by my passenger for the record):

KW1xSe.png

From the best I can tell, it seems that Motr and Aux *roughly* approximate the Energy Use Screen of the Leaf at 100 Watts per unit, though with Motr it's hard to tell for sure due to the different response times between the app and Leaf screen. Hetr, on the other hand, seems to be 250 Watts per unit, and I can't tell you anything about A/C since it's February and I'm in Minnesota. :)

I guess I'm just trying to figure out what the units are in reality. Any insight would be very welcome.

Thanks!

Version 0.35.60 has not been released yet. That is the one that will display Watts. The early versions listed the raw numbers from the Leaf. To go from raw to watts use these multipliers top to bottom 100w, 100w, 250w, 50w.

For your screen above that would be 24,000w 300w 4,250w and 0 w.

mbender said:
Turbo3 said:
Turn on "Trace ELM" and send me the trace.
Ok, I started it with Trace on, did a bunch of things (it did not connect, but I went to pages and graphs 1-4), and exited. How to I access and send the trace? Thanks. (would have PMed this ? but others may find the answer useful.)
Go to the LEAF_BT_CAN/DEBUG_FILES folder and send me the TRC_xxx.txt and errdata.txt files you find there. Send them to the email address listed on the About screen.

Lots of people are having trouble with the cheap ones not supporting the commands needed to communicate with the Leaf. They claim to be v2.1 but are not really as they support less than v1.5.

The OBDLink LX is a high ($59) end one that works and has increased speed and additional commands.

The Konnwei KW902 actually looks a lot like it but costs $29. Has on/off button. Comes in three colors too. Does not support additional commands. Available from Amazon (free ship with prime).

Question about which mi/kWh figure to use in LEAF Spy for calculated distance to reserve:

The miles per kw on the instrument panel is totally inconsistent with that displayed in LEAF Spy, and also with calculations I do based on GIDs displayed relative to odometer miles (taking 75 wh/GID). The instrument panel is showing about 20% higher efficiency. There appears to be much closer correspondence between my calculated efficiency and what LEAF Spy is showing for efficiency.

All that having been said, I get great predictions from LEAF Spy using the higher number from the LEAF instrument panel (which has saved me many times relative to the truly crap GOM). I suspect LEAF Spy would be overly conservative if I put in the LEAF Spy-derived figure--which should I use and why?

Final note: it's been cold here in Philadelphia (single digits and teens F), and I have the Spy set to calculate based on outside and battery temps. I also park on the street so the battery typically hits teens F as well.

Back