HOW TO: Daytime Running Lights (DRL) installed for $35

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Starting to think this thread is dead considering the lack of responses, but I'll post a results pic of mine. I followed the contour of the bumper, which I think was the right decision. The lights are amazing, bright as hell, perfect color, no 'dots', and they dim when headlights come on. Obviously, it's difficult to capture the true brightness, but just look at any luxury car to get an idea.

nissanleafdrl01.jpg

If there's any interest, I can try posting more details of the install process.

Link to original lights is dead, searched the site. What do you guys think of these?: https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/daytime-running-lights/led-daytime-running-light-kit-bottom-mount,-6w/1509/3411/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

These claim 1350 lumins and have very positive reviews, little more money , lifetime warranty. Also specifically says may be used as DRLs
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/xtra-series-off-road-led-light-bar/18w-heavy-duty-off-road-led-light-bar-drl/1271/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Found a 3rd one I like, 40 a pop for these, so in between my 1st 2 post in price. 1000 lumins, little wider beam pattern, slimmer profile and slimmer style mount to hug the surface.
https://www.superbrightleds.com/moreinfo/hyper-series-off-road-led-light-bar/8-compact-off-road-led-light-bar--18w/1939/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I just bought a 2015 Leaf S and was going to attack this mod this weekend when I realized that there are some visual differences in the placement of components between the authors 2011 and my 2015 so I wanted to pose the question:

Has anyone done this on a new 2015 leaf. My guess is the PDM Wiring is the same but just wanted to check.

Thanks

Max

maximillianrg said:
I just bought a 2015 Leaf S and was going to attack this mod this weekend when I realized that there are some visual differences in the placement of components between the authors 2011 and my 2015 so I wanted to pose the question:

Has anyone done this on a new 2015 leaf. My guess is the PDM Wiring is the same but just wanted to check.

Thanks

Max
The layout was changed a little in 2013, but wiring is the same.

+1 to GeekEV for the tutorial. Just finished doing it on a 2012 SL.

The only alteration I did was instead of opening up the bottom of the car, I took off the radiator shroud on top that is only secured with about 9 plastic push-rivets. Was able to reach in and grab the wires from the DRLs.

Great instructions and pictures! I completed the installation and it went well.

I have one question about the red wire # 57. How much current can the wire carry?

Thanks

I don't know for sure. The service manual only specifies that it's 12V. Since its only purpose is to drive the ignition relay, my guess is not much. Fortunately, LED kits such as this don't take much power - the kit I used is rated at a scant 0.7W. I wouldn't try to do anything else with it.

Need help! I have had my DRLs powered through the PDM for 3 years with no problems. I used my parking lamps with larger bulbs. Today I decided to replace the bulbs with LED lamps. I replaced one side with no problems. Then I started to replace the other side and put the lamp in while the circuit was on and it sparked at the lamp socket and blew a fuse somewhere. I checked every fuse in the car I could find and all were good. Now I also have a "Visit Dealer" indication on the display and the Park Brake lamp is flashing. The electric parking brake does not function. Does anyone have a clue which fuse I blew? :oops:

There is also a fuse box on the left hand side of the dashboard panel. It's hidden by the door when closed. Did you check in there? And the one under the hood? If so, maybe try a system reset by disconnecting the negative terminal from the 12v battery for a few minutes and reconnect. EVs in particular are very sensitive to shorts and may have tripped an internal safety mechanism rather than an actual blown fuse.

Smart me/stupid me! I make it a practice to always use an in-line fuse when I add or change any electrics on a car. Smart me, I did this with the DRL addition. Stupid me, I forgot that I did it in this case as usual. That was the blown fuse and the DRLs are back in business.
Now the electric parking brake is still not working and getting error on the display. I am beginning to think the parking brake issue is just a coincidence with the DRL issue. I tried the battery disconnect to no avail. I guess a trip to the dealer is in my future.

That happens after a system reset. Roll the window up and hold it up for about five seconds. Auto up should start working again. Not sure why it does that, but it does.

Continuing saga on DRLs.
This is the LED I am using because it gave me the most lumins I could find that would fit the parking lamp location. (Cree 450 lumins) Note the silver band between the leds and the contacts.

Here is the socket that the Leaf uses. Note the metal pieces on each side of the socket. They are also energized with the socket tabs. Guess what happens when I insert the LED? Yep the silver band on the LED contacts shorts out the socket with the metal tabs on each side of the socket.

To fix this situation, I used a Dremmel to cut a seperation on each side of the metal band on the LED to break the connection where the socket metal tab shorts on the LED metal band. Crazy huh!!

Back