My 2011 Leaf has shut off while driving twice! Anyone else?

My Nissan Leaf Forum

Help Support My Nissan Leaf Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
norwaycalling said:
Hello!

Ihave searched the web and finally found somebody with the same problem as my Leaf has. My car stoppes when I am driving, ti doesnt mather if I drive fast or slow, in hot, or rain. It just happen. Now It has gone three days since the last time, but to night it happened two times ina row. And because it is an US-11 imported car ( i am in Norway), my NISSAN SERVICE-station dont know how they can solve it.

Here I have taken a picture of what happens when it stoppes. The radio, the light etc is still working:

http://bildr.no/view/ZE90MTVF" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Best Regard Sissel from Norway
My guess is you have an intermittent short somewhere on one of the can bus lines, probably on the EV bus. I would get Leaf Spy Pro and a ELM 327 and read the DTC's. You should have quite a few pertaining to "failed CAN communication." The modules which have the codes will be a clue on which bus to look.

Most intermittent problems that are not common among the type are caused by wiring. Look for spots subject to vibration snd moisture first. Not a car expert, but ive been fixing electronic/electric issues on airliners for 25 years. That's certainly true for them. One of the hardest thing to fix. Frustrating. Good luck to you.

Got this issue today. Was driving at < 5 mph on the left lane due to traffic. Suddenly the car just stopped (power shut down) :roll: . Managed to pull over (steering was tight). It started again without any problem. Definitely troubled by this!

Did the OP solve the issue? Just curious. Definitely planning to report to Nissan.

I’m not sure if this post is active anymore, but in the event it is I interested in finding out if there was ever a specific determination of what the underlying problem was and if it got fixed. I have a 2018 Leaf and just had a similar problem. My wife was driving on the freeway and the car suddenly powered off. She was able to restart it after several attempts. We took it to the dealer who has thus far said they can’t find a problem on the diagnostic tests and have not been able to recreate the problem in test drives.

I can't believe Nissan hasn't fixed this problem! My 2019 Leaf Center Console has been rebooting (infrequently at first but now can happen as often as every 5 min while driving). Nissan replaced my radio/center console last Fall ( I bought the car new June 2020) but the problem continues. They report the Nissan headquarters engineers are diligently trying to solve this software problem ( :roll: ) but so far no fix. Not sure how many other Nissan owners are having this problem. Also my BT will sometimes drop my audio part of a call so I can still hear the caller but they can no longer hear me. This can be dangerous if I am trying to find my phone to change the call over to Speaker and off the Bluetooth while driving.
Any others having a similar problem? Any solutions?

Back