cwerdna
Posts: 8095
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

2013+ Leafs: LBW, VLBW, turtle SoC % thresholds

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:40 pm

Those of us w/'13+ Leafs have a % SoC indicator on the dash. (Sorry, I have no means of reading gids.)

I know it's been stated that LBW sounds at ~17-18% and VLBW at 7-8%. In the past, I found that was true, but recently, I had VLBW sound at 9%. My Leaf's a bit past a year old now.

Post here here if you've seen LBW and VLBW sounding outside 17-18% or 7-8%, respectively. I'm curious if those % values rise as the battery degrades.

I believe on that 9% sounding, I had only a single charge to 100% w/balancing (?, the bounce behavior after it hits 0 and no more bouncing). I had driven a bunch and done a bit of charging here and there after that but no more 100% charges before hitting VLBW.

edit: Edited titled to include turtle.
Last edited by cwerdna on Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

User avatar
DNAinaGoodWay
Posts: 2765
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:43 am
Delivery Date: 03 Dec 2012
Leaf Number: 23156
Location: Central Massachusetts

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Sat Sep 06, 2014 2:51 pm

Well, the '15 is new, and I've only had LBW once so far, and that at 13% on the dash, but I was on the highway at the time, doing 80, so that's probably why. LeafStat said I had 22% and 40 Gids. GOM read 13 miles, which is bout right for 40 Gids for me.
'12 SL last reading @ 2 yr, 22k, 260 GIDs, 62.35 Ahr

'15 SV w/QC, Mfd 5/14, Leased 8/14, 292 GIDs, 64.38 Ahr when new
@ 36 months, 34k, 270 GID, 57.49 Ahr

'17 Bolt LT



6.72 kW Array

User avatar
TomT
Posts: 10605
Joined: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:09 pm
Delivery Date: 01 Mar 2011
Leaf Number: 000360
Location: California, now Georgia
Contact: Website

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Sat Sep 06, 2014 4:16 pm

Since LBW and VLBW occur at an absolute fixed energy level (49 and 24 Gids, respectively), and energy represented by each SOC percent varies with relative battery capacity, the SOC point at which the two warnings trigger will vary... That is likely what you are seeing.

cwerdna wrote:Those of us w/'13+ Leafs have a % SoC indicator on the dash. (Sorry, I have no means of reading gids.)I know it's been stated that LBW sounds at ~17-18% and VLBW at 7-8%. In the past, I found that was true, but recently, I had VLBW sound at 9%.
59,991 miles/12 bars/289 Gids/68.54 AHr/101% SOH/101.64% Hx 7May15 w/ new Lizard (barely made the warranty).
71,770 miles/12 bars/256 Gids/59.04 AHr/88% SOH/87.92% Hx 3Mar16 at lease return.

Now driving a 2016 Volt Premier.

ElectricEddy
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Sat Sep 06, 2014 7:44 pm

TomT wrote:Since LBW and VLBW occur at an absolute fixed energy level (49 and 24 Gids, respectively), and energy represented by each SOC percent varies with relative battery capacity, the SOC point at which the two warnings trigger will vary... That is likely what you are seeing.

cwerdna wrote:Those of us w/'13+ Leafs have a % SoC indicator on the dash. (Sorry, I have no means of reading gids.)I know it's been stated that LBW sounds at ~17-18% and VLBW at 7-8%. In the past, I found that was true, but recently, I had VLBW sound at 9%.

That would be why I hit 50 Gids today but no LBW with the Leaf SOC reading 19%. I am starting to monitor the GIDs and kwh in conjunction with the amp/h more closely now (had Leaf spy pro for a couple weeks). Its good to get used to & compare both systems. From what I seen so far, Nissan gauges vary quite a bit depending on conditions.
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

cwerdna
Posts: 8095
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:15 am

I truly had range anxiety near home last night. To make a long story short, I figured I'd make it home somewhere past VLBW but before turtle but it was very dismaying to see the % SoC gauge change from either 5% or 6% to --- %. :shock: I believe I was still over 2 miles from home, at the time (not sure because my nav's home destination is intentionally set to a street near my house, not my address).

I thought turtle would come on between 1-2% SoC... but I never got to see that due to the change to ---%. So, I was flying blind at that point.

I was worried that out of juice just short of home and need a tow.

At one point, I was headed up a hill up an expressway near my home (speed limit 50 mph). Unfortunately, a truck was tailgating me and I had no choice but to keep my acceleration light up the hill and speed down (~45 mph), for fear of turtling or shutdown while still over 0.5 mile from home.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

TimLee
Posts: 2811
Joined: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:40 am
Delivery Date: 17 May 2011
Leaf Number: 2026
Location: Chattanooga, TN

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW, VLBW, turtle SoC % thresholds

Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:30 am

^Glad you made it :!:

Having % status of charge is much better than 2011 / 2012, but still much better to have LEAF Spy to read GIDS and individual cell pair voltages.
Turtle is based on lowest cell voltage.
So you were lucky to make it up that hill even at 45 mph.

Tim Lee
Chattanooga, TN

Man. Date: 03/10/11, VIN # 2026
Delivered 05-17-2011
Blue Ocean, 2011 SL-eTec

stjohnh
Posts: 321
Joined: Tue Jun 18, 2013 4:27 pm
Delivery Date: 10 Jun 2013
Leaf Number: 409675
Location: Palo Alto, CA

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:10 am

cwerdna wrote:I truly had range anxiety near home last night. To make a long story short, I figured I'd make it home somewhere past VLBW but before turtle but it was very dismaying to see the % SoC gauge change from either 5% or 6% to --- %. :shock: I believe I was still over 2 miles from home, at the time (not sure because my nav's home destination is intentionally set to a street near my house, not my address).

I thought turtle would come on between 1-2% SoC... but I never got to see that due to the change to ---%. So, I was flying blind at that point.

I was worried that out of juice just short of home and need a tow.

At one point, I was headed up a hill up an expressway near my home (speed limit 50 mph). Unfortunately, a truck was tailgating me and I had no choice but to keep my acceleration light up the hill and speed down (~45 mph), for fear of turtling or shutdown while still over 0.5 mile from home.


You really need to get LeafSpy ($10 for OBDII bluetooth adapter, +25 for Kyocera Event phone-(no monthly fee if you don't use it for making phone calls) if you don't have a Bluetooth android phone or tablet already). Until then it is helpful to know that the last fuel bar disappears at about 4-5 miles before turtle, assuming you are driving at 30mph or less and your battery is not seriously degraded.
Last edited by stjohnh on Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Blessings,
Holland

2 LEAFS, bought 1 week apart. 2013 S for me, 2013 SV is wife's. Both manufactured May 2013, both battery capacity about 60.5 AHr. Both with normal range. No degradation after 2 years and 19,000 miles.

User avatar
dgpcolorado
Posts: 3059
Joined: Sat Aug 20, 2011 1:56 pm
Delivery Date: 15 Dec 2011
Location: The Western Slope, Colorado

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW, VLBW, turtle SoC % thresholds

Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:23 pm

TimLee wrote:...Having % status of charge is much better than 2011 / 2012, but still much better to have LEAF Spy to read GIDS and individual cell pair voltages...
Yes, yes, and yes!

I'm sure glad I snagged one of GregH's Leaf DD devices while he was making them. Not as versatile as LEAF Spy but easier to use. Having Gids and cell-pair voltages changes how one can use the bottom part of the battery.

The amount of range below VLBW is pretty substantial — perhaps even more in 2013s than older models, according to some reports — so I don't think there was much risk at 45 mph for a couple of miles. But it would have been nice to know for sure.
Blue 2012 SV Dec 2011 to Feb 2016
CPO 2014 Tesla S60 Mar 2016
One car, no ICE, at last!
Tesla Referral Code

ElectricEddy
Posts: 473
Joined: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:42 pm
Delivery Date: 31 Oct 2016
Leaf Number: 313506
Location: Nanaimo, B.C.

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW, VLBW, turtle SoC % thresholds

Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:01 pm

dgpcolorado wrote:
TimLee wrote:...Having % status of charge is much better than 2011 / 2012, but still much better to have LEAF Spy to read GIDS and individual cell pair voltages...
Yes, yes, and yes!

I'm sure glad I snagged one of GregH's Leaf DD devices while he was making them. Not as versatile as LEAF Spy but easier to use. Having Gids and cell-pair voltages changes how one can use the bottom part of the battery.

The amount of range below VLBW is pretty substantial — perhaps even more in 2013s than older models, according to some reports — so I don't think there was much risk at 45 mph for a couple of miles. But it would have been nice to know for sure.

Tony's chart is pretty close, will be doing another turtle run soon with leaf spy when the weather cools a bit. Will post results. viewtopic.php?f=31&t=17402#p379287
Pearl White Sl
mfd date 09/16

cwerdna
Posts: 8095
Joined: Fri Jun 03, 2011 4:31 pm
Delivery Date: 28 Jul 2013
Location: SF Bay Area, CA

Re: 2013+ Leafs: LBW and VLBW SoC % thresholds

Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:59 am

stjohnh wrote:You really need to get LeafSpy ($10 for OBDII bluetooth adapter, +25 for Kyocera Event phone-(no monthly fee if you don't use it for making phone calls) if you don't have a Bluetooth android phone or tablet already). Until then it is helpful to know that the last fuel bar disappears at about 4-5 miles before turtle, assuming you are driving at 30mph or less and your battery is not seriously degraded.

I don't really need it. This is maybe only the 2nd or 3rd time ever in my over 1 year and 1.5 months that I've had my Leaf that I've cut it close. This was the closest I've cut it, so far. And, it was an unusual case.

It was late at night when dealers were closed and the unusual part was the 7 free J1772 30 amp L2 stations about 5 miles from home were offline for unknown reasons much of the weekend (there were signs up and I saw the signs before embarking on my journey). I can normally top up there if I have anxiety making it home. I couldn't that night due to them being offline.

I already have an Android phone as my secondary phone. I've been extremely busy again today and intermittently much of this year. I don't believe I ever got an answer to viewtopic.php?p=344929#p344929. I'd much rather have something that doesn't kill my 12 volt battery, causing me more issues.

Heck, Turbo3 himself lives a few miles from me.

'13 Leaf SV w/premium package (owned)
'13 Leaf SV w/QC + LED & premium packages (lease over, car returned)
'06 Prius

Please don't PM me with Leaf questions. Just post in the topic that seems most appropriate.

Return to “Range / Efficiency / Carwings”